1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jealousy Issue

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by malachite, Jul 17, 2017.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I feel really stupid about posting this, but here goes.

So, my roommate and I have been living together for 3 years now. We used to do all sorts of things together. Now enter the boy friend, it wasn't an issue at first, but they are doing all the things we used to do.

I hate to think I'm being childish but am I just being juvenile, being jealous and mad?

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is your roommate a guy?

And, of course you feel upset that your friend no longer hangs out with you, but it is juvenile and petty to think it is their boyfriend's fault.

You can probably fix the problem, or at least start to, simply by asking your roommate if they want to hang out more again or even trying to build a small friendship their boyfriend so that your roommate feels more comfortable with you around at the same time as their partner (obviously do not do anything that could be construed as trying to steal their boyfriend, that would be very, very rude.)

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah is a guy. I don't really blame the boyfriend. I'm more upset with the roommate. I've tried doing stuff with the roomie but he just seems to have lost interest. I thought we were really good friends, I guess this is why this bothers me so much.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It happens to a lot of people when they get into relationships, that they spend excessive amounts of time with their partner. It's fair enough to politely say that the friendship has suffered somewhat but keep in mind it isn't a deliberate attempt to alienate you. It's really easy to spend virtually all your time with a new partner; it's exciting, novel and you're smitten. With that in mind, you probably can empathise with how easy it is not to realise what it is you're doing in regards to other friendships.

So politely mention it without being accusatory. Just state that since the relationship began, you've spent less time with him and that you would like to spend more time with him. An open conversation without animosity is just about the only way to fix this.

PatrickUK likes this.