1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ive got a really hard decision to make

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TexasToast, Mar 20, 2020.

?

Should I wait to come out

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. TexasToast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bit of a long post but here goes; I feel like im lying to my friends and family by not coming out, and I feel like its my only course of action at this point. The issue is I already tried coming out before and it went to hell and a handbasket real quick. I told four people total, one friend who tried to use it to ruin my reputation, one who never spoke to me again, and one who became my best friend. I also told my mother, who then sent me to therapy until I said I was straight. Needless to say it messed me up real bad, this ain't even considering the fact that im basically a stereotypical straight guy (genuinely love football, shooting, carpentry, etc). I just don’t want people to treat me differently just because I like guys. Im going to college this August do that leaves me a choice, do I come out or do I just wait till college which will be far enough not to be an issue. I really need some honest opinions about this cause I only really don't have any lgbt friends I can go to. Thanks for listening anyone who made it to the end, its greatly appreciated.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your parents are so unaccepting, you *might* be better waiting. Especially right now with being essentially locked down by quarantine (if you aren't already, you probably will be soon), it would be that much more miserable to be stuck in the house with that sort of elephant in the room.

How do you feel about it?

Kyrielles likes this.
  3. TexasToast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well the issue really aint both my parents, just my mom. My dad couldn't give less of a damn about this kinda thing, and Ive already accepted that Im the least favorite kid in my moms eyes so it wouldn’t be too crushing on my end. I think I agree though, Ill wait till college, thanks for the words partner.

4. CatWho

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Only you can make that decision. I will say though that if you are going to college away from where you live, you may find a better/more supportive environment. If that is the case, it will help build your confidence in who you are and make you stronger when it comes to coming out at home. It is not easy to do. I'm still struggling with it too.