1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've come out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lottaotter, Jun 25, 2021.

1. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you had grown up with LGBT-affirming parents, and if they had expressed their support openly with you, then you very likely would have accepted yourself earlier and come out earlier. We are all products of our environments. Instead of focusing on how far behind you are, you should focus on how far you have come. There are millions of people around the world who are in the closet and/or in denial about their sexuality. Most of them will never come out. It just takes too much courage to be that vulnerable for so many. It really does say something about you that you mustered the courage and came out to your family. You should be proud of yourself for that. Build on that pride of self acceptance. You deserve a full life and an equal chance to find love. The sooner you believe that, the sooner you will act to make it a reality.

I suppose it's natural for you to feel at 27 that you are "old" to be coming out, and I can see why that's embarrassing and leads to more shame. Just imagine what it was like for me to come out at age 47, with a wife and two children. You are still so young and have so many years ahead of you even if you don't see it right now.

2. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, that is really encouraging to hear actually

3. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much. Honestly it does help to hear these things, often it's the first time in my life anyone has said that I deserve to be happy or have shown courage, so thank you.

SunnyNarwal and I'm gay like this.