1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's the most wonderful time of the year (ugh)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wickedwitch, Dec 12, 2017.

1. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi:

Not sure what I need here, maybe just to vent, maybe some support.

There's someone in my life who expects me to visit (long-distance travel) at Christmas and I have already explained that I will not being doing so this year. I gave my reasons, which are not frivolous, as they include some health issues, as well as some other things that I didn't mention.

Since then I've been yelled at once, and twice over the last two weeks this person has waited for me to have a vulnerable moment and then picked a fight. In both cases I reacted (rather than responded) and I'm pretty sure now that this is what they wanted to happen (because they know I'll feel bad afterward).

One of these episodes occurred last night and I spent half the night and a good part of today in a frazzled state but then started reading a story in a book (Al-Anon) that I've found helpful in the past, and as I came to the end of the story the writer said, "...and I realized that I was not to blame" and I burst into tears.

I swear I need to get a tattoo on my left forearm that reads: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYONE ELSE'S THOUGHTS, FEELINGS OR ACTIONS so I can remember this because at some times, with some people, I just seem to fall back into thinking badly of myself because I haven't done something that they want me to do and it just wastes so much time and energy and self-esteem.

So half of my frustration is with them and the other half is with myself.

I do feel better though that it only took as long as it did for me to realize that their feelings are their responsibility - it could've been a week or more before I got un-frazzled. That's happened before.

Like I said, I don't know what I need here, if anything, but thanks for reading anyway.

PotatoPotato likes this.
  2. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree a persons feelings are somewhat their responsibility, but often times the choices we make and things we do affect a persons feelings. In my opinion though, which I don't know the full story here, but I'd say if they're going to be upset to the point of yelling at you etc. then what's their deal? They're mad because you're not traveling to them for Christmas, but that works both ways, why can't they travel to you? Especially being that you have health issues and such, seems that maybe this should be the other way around, and maybe you should mention that to them. Or not. I wouldn't let it stress me out too much or make me feel bad though, because like I said that could go two ways.

3. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate as I had a family member who was really pushy for me and my folks to come visit every Christmas. Not only did we live over 100 miles away from them, but it also wasn't always convenient for us to do so due to my dad's job. So at times when we didn't show up we'd get guilt tripped for not coming. Eventually we learned to ignore it, but I can understand how frustrating it can be.

You've done nothing wrong. You laid out your reasons for not wanting to travel this time (if health issues aren't a good enough reason itself, I don't know what is), so it really should be no big deal. Try not to let it bother you. If they're going to have an issue with it, that's their problem, not yours.