1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's hard talking to my boyfriend in person

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Blanched, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Blanched

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I am FINALLY dating the guy I had been crushing on for a year. Turns out he has also been crushing on me for around the same time. Kinda mad at myself for not doing anything sooner, but anyway...

We started really talking over snapchat the day after I found I was exposed to somebody with covid at school, and had to quarantine for 10 days. He told me he liked me and I told him I liked him. I don't think I have ever talked so much and so openly with anybody else. He seems to perfectly match with my personality and I match with his. But this was over text. In person, it's not like I'm horrible and don't say a thing, but he leads the conversation and I mostly just respond. I really hate to do that to him, I just don't really know what to say most of the time. I really want to get better at talking to him so it's not always so one-sided. I've always been very quiet when talking to anybody. I just really want to talk to him in person more but I don't get why I can't. How do I get better at this?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because you're nervous. And because it takes practice. And you're likely focusing too much on saying the exact right thing, rather than on just being yourself. It's natural and normal. One thing you can do: Ask him about himself. Everyone always enjoys talking about themselves. There are studies that show that when person A randomly go up to a stranger (person B) and asks him 3 or 4 questions about himself, Person B always thinks that Person A is intelligent and likeable, even though all he did was ask Person B questions. So that's a good start. And once you've just put yourself out there a bit, it will be more natural.