1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It does get better.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Maddy, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I signed up to EC when I was 17. I'm 27 now. I was in high school, almost friendless, and been convinced by a very toxic person that I would never be loved in my life.

I was exactly like so many people who use EC now. I was a kid who knew my own sexuality, but was ashamed, and never felt safe to be myself. I finished high school kissless and finished university a virgin. I was totally sure that I had failed, that I was unlovable, that I would never have real friends and that I could never even hope to have a girlfriend. I knew this as much as I knew that two plus two equals four.

Last night, I spent the evening at my favourite bar, with my girlfriend of two years, playing pool, dressed in the masculine kind of clothes that make me feel good. Last week, my best friend of seven years dropped by my place to take me out for ice cream. Last month, I got 100% for my final essay for my masters degree. Last year, I cut my hair short and saw a person in the mirror that I kind of like.

Life hasn't been easy and life isn't perfect. But compared to the life my 17-year-old self lived, it's amazing. And compared to the life I thought I deserved, it's unfathomable.

I knew, I was sure, that I didn't deserve to be loved. But I did deserve love, and I do deserve love, and I am loved.

You do too.

And I know you're probably reading this thinking "well that doesn't apply to me, good things happen to people like OP, but I'm just a fucked-up person and I'm not going to be loved."

I thought the same thing. And I'm saying this specifically to the people who think that they're not good enough, that their lives will never be happy, that they'll never find someone who loves them. You deserve to be happy. And I hope that someday you will be.

This is the last post I'll make on EC, because it's not my home any more. It was for many years. It was where I learned that I could make friends.

Enjoy this place.

2. C281990

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a very nice and encouraging post!i am 26 and i guess i feel like you felt at 17 but oh well...we will stay strong and keep trying!!take care and i wish you all the best

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Just for a few examples of my mindset when I was younger, here, and here.)

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Maddy, such a great post. I'm glad you have found love. Take care of yourself.