1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It’s tough being gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by 21zephyr, Mar 11, 2018.

1. New2gquest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You’re right! It’s amazing to see and red how many of us, both men and women, from our generation are on here with similar questions. It’s like half of us gen x-ers were always in the closet!
    That puts a whole new spin on remembering high school!
    It took me 3 times to make an account here. I kept deleting it and feeling guilty for a week for even having these thoughts.
    I guess now I’m here I can’t give up. But I am still not able to make any admissions.
    I’ll keep reading and supporting.
    Thank you for yours!!!

21zephyr likes this.
  2. New2gquest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the warm welcome!
    I am learning and trust me dating is the last thing on my mind.
    I have a few gay acquaintances. No gay frino nds. And live in a place where everyone knows everyone. So no way I can even consider talking about this stuff locally.

3. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m in the same boat. I feel I need to test the waters before making the total coming out leap. Small town- I’m highly visible and it would affect my job situation- I know it shouldn’t, but it does. I am out to a handful people at work, but trust them with my information. Also, if I am outed- I can live with it- it won’t destroy me like I previously thought. My being a closeted gay man almost killed me and I know I won’t let that happen again.

The saddest part is the fact that our sexuality still matters. We shouldn’t have to come out, I never had to come out when I lived the fake straight life. Our sexuality shouldn’t be a burden, but we still face prejudice. I know I need to be more of an activist, but I’m such a coward when it comes to that!!!!

New2gquest likes this.
  4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no need to be an activist if one is not ready to be one. An alternative is to first be at peace with one's own self, that is activism enough, because it is in that life of integrity that your true power becomes evident...and others will notice. It takes a heck of a lot of courage just to be at peace with who you are...

#44 greatwhale, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    New2gquest likes this.
  5. New2gquest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it takes a long time to be at peace with ourselves. Sometimes it helps starting to others before we finish healing too.
    This place just seems so amazing. Lots of helpful people to talk with.

Feels comfortable. I know it’s weird to say but I know we each have our own problems and situations that super difficult. Especially considering a change of team in mid-Life. Sorry still hard for me to say it another way.

21zephyr likes this.
  6. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We are here for each other. Keep the communication going, that’s a good way to process feelings and thoughts. I honestly come here every night for conversation and support. Since I started, it’s made a tremendous difference in my life!!!