1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with my Parents: please give me some advice

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bi dystopia, Jun 27, 2017.

1. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I am a 26 year old bisexual man. I have some sexuality issues with my parents and could use some advice.

Backstory:
    I was force outed by my parents before I was ready when I was 17 after they read my diary and found out I was seeing a guy. After I said I was bisexual I was subject to a lot of physical and verbal abuse which ultimately left me devastated, afraid and alone with no phone or internet access in a small town with no resources or lgbt support or people I knew. See more here: https://forum.emptyclosets.com/inde...-out-story-and-re-coming-out-recently.342985/

I went back to pretending to be heterosexual, had a few opposite sex relationships at university, but still continued to receive abuse from my parents about what had happened before. The last time this happened was about 4 years ago, after I had moved back home. Around the same time I became sick of feeling uncomfortable and stifled and started to gradually come out again, and I am now out to most of my friends but still not to family or work.

The Situation Now:

I have since moved out again from home and have my own flat with 2 friends, 1 of whom is coincidentally gay. My sister recently came out as bisexual and my parents informed me of this on the phone, but said nothing to her. My parents have not said anything else to me about what happened before, but have started acting more friendly to me, offering to buy me a new phone, a new car and to go on holiday with them to Greece.

The problem is I still feel incredibly negative towards them and their attitudes to my sexuality both in the past and at present. I don't go home to see them. Every time the phone rings I feel angry and hurt, whenever I see or hear the words "mum, dad or parents", or when anyone mentions them I feel angry and hurt. When they offer to buy things I want to be grateful because I am skint, but I normally refuse and feel angry and hurt and resentful. It feels like because it hasn't been mentioned for years and I've since had long relationships with women they want to be friends on those terms, but not for me being who I am.

The Main Point:
    This may seem like I'm being picky about it, but I have still not received any apology from them about what happened before, given that it destroyed and wasted 9 years of my life, made me hate myself, fail my degree, attempt suicide 3 times, have addictions, become isolated and emotionless and wooden and unable to be intimate with anybody from hating myself. (I haven't been intimate with anyone of any sex for 3.5 years; I have self aware internalized homophobia and I'm working on it).

I want to be able to have a relationship with my parents, but I also want an apology from them and for them to accept me before I try to do that (and before I can move on, essentially) - but I don't know how to go about it or how to bring it up. The last 2 years I have tried to write a letter but failed (it sounded like a letter from the UN asking North Korea for nuclear disengagement) and I don't know where to go from here.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

#1 bi dystopia, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi burntec, that's a terrible situation to be in and I hope you're dong ok. It's great that you've worked up the courage to start coming out to people you feel you can trust and that you've moved away from the toxic environment of your parents' home.

It sounds to me that the only reason your parents warming up to you now is because you're playing along with what they want to hear while your sister has become the focus of their homophobic ire. Moving out was the best step for you, unfortunately that sometimes isn't enough. I hate to say it, but if interacting with them is causing you nothing but pain, it may be for the better for you to limit contact with them. I have a friend who had to do the same thing, not because she was LGBT+, but because she has mental health problems and the rest of her family didn't want to deal with it. Eventually her relationship with them became so toxic that her therapists recommended that she cut ties them.

Another thing I'd recommend is seeing a good therapist/psychiatrist. Talking these things out with someone can help you heal and they have the tools to get to the heart of the problem.

Have you had any contact with your sister? If you're both bisexual then she needs to know she isn't alone and that someone in her family supports her. If you can reach out to her then both of you can help support each other emotionally through this.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but I'm hoping for the best for you!

3. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Elendil, thanks for replying!

I am in touch with my sister and she knows I am supportive of her - unfortunately she still lives with my parents, and also recently had a mental breakdown - having to go to inpatient psychiatric care - I don't know if this was caused in part by her having observed my parents' reaction to my sexuality 9 years previously. She does have a group of lgbt/supportive friends though, so hopefully she will be ok.

I have seen 5 therapists between 2010 and 2015, and done a lot of personal therapy, which helped me to accept and appreciate myself, although I am currently not in the position to date or be intimate with people. I also am not financially in the position to see private lgbt therapists, the nhs psychologists have a 12 month waiting list (as I found a few years ago) and my city's lgbt advise groups either seem to have closed down or run out of funding.

The issue with my parents is feeling a desire to be positive with them, and to have a family I could go to, and them seemingly offering this - but this is only on the basis that everything is fine with them so long as I agree with their terms of appearing heterosexual.

What I want is to phone up and say that I hate being offered things, or being around them on the basis that what happened before has been glazed over, that they think I am heterosexual and that they have never apologised for it, or offered any further thoughts on it.

I feel like when it all went down before I was so young and nervous that I just retreated and hid, instead of standing my ground - and I've always wanted to do that and make the point and find out what the deal is with it now, rather than constantly feeling angry and miserable about it and not being able to move on - but I don't know how to go about this - it also seems really out of the blue for me to be starting up about it without anything leading up to it.

4. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm no therapist, but it could be that seeing your sister go through this now is what is triggering these feelings in you. It's not right that they only want to be close to you on the condition you go along with what they want. A parent's love for their children shouldn't be like that.

I'd say stand your ground with them. Be honest on how you feel about their behavior and if they're going to withhold their love and become abusive again, limit your contact with them. You shouldn't have to be subjected to ridicule for being who you are.

They should apologize for their past behavior; but they may not be forthcoming with one, especially if they think they're in the right. It sucks, but in general controlling people (from how you describe them, this description fits your parents) rarely, if ever, like to admit when they're in the wrong, much less apologize for it. They may eventually come around, but it'll take time for them to accept and come to terms with it.

#4 Elendil, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  5. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why, may I ask, did you not charge your parents with assault when they were abusing you? Other than that, I can only recommend pursuing a professional therapist and asking your parents in person to apologize so that you can forgive them for yourself and move on. In fact, paying for your therapist is the least they can do. It sounds as though your family has come to regret what they have done to you in the past and you ought to accept their apology gifts, if only because your financial situation seems strenuous enough, and accept their personal apologies because you need to move past their abuse and live your life for the rest of the time you have.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi burntec

I'm sorry you have been through so much with your parents and still have lingering issues and problems with them. I have a couple of questions and I would be interested to hear your reply.

If your parents were to offer an apology, what sort of apology would you need to feel whole again in your relationship with them? After everything that happened, would any sort of apology be sufficient?

You say you have tried to write a letter and I'm wondering if you should revisit that idea. An apology will never come while they live under the misapprehension that you are heterosexual. Even if you write the letter, there is no certainty that an apology will be forthcoming, but as things stand it's stalemate. On a positive note, you are no longer in a place where they can control or abuse you, so you have less to lose this time around and you have friends/gay friends to turn to for love and support.

If/when you write a letter, it may be a good idea to provide the contact details for FFLAG UK (Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays). They have a website with lots of resources, including a book list, for struggling parents and relatives and it might - just might - make the difference this time around. If your parents are able to connect with other parents and hear how they coped, progress might (that word again) be possible.

Lynz likes this.
  7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's terrible what you've been through but at this point I have to say I think you're being unfair. The fact of the matter is that you want your parents to apologize for having been wrong... and you're allowing them to believe they were right. From their perspective they steered you away from the cliff and, maybe they could have handled it better, but desperate times and all... and it worked out. You really were straight and they stopped you from making a terrible mistake that would have made your life much more difficult (setting aside any conviction they may actually have that it's just wrong).

I'm not saying that if they knew the truth they would apologize. It can happen. My father was terribly broken up about a run of the mill homophobic comment he had made about a week before I came out and apologized quite movingly. From what you've written though, I don't honestly think it would go down like that. But if you really want an apology you have to at least give them a fighting chance by being honest with them. Then again do you really think there is an apology that would end this for you? If there isn't, or there is and even after being honest you just don't get it, you may need to just move on...

PatrickUK likes this.
  8. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Myclosetisfull, thanks for replying - it's very isolating not knowing many in the community and posting on here with quite lengthy posts and not knowing if anyone will even reply - I really appreciate it! (and to everyone else!)

At the time the worst of the abuse was happening I did not really know how to react, I had a couple of straight friends who were accepting but didn't really want to talk about it and my parents telling me that what I did was illegal (it wasnt) and that I was lucky they didn't call the police on me for being a sick pervert. I literally had no information at the time, no internet, no resources, I knew nothing other than that I had met this guy who I couldnt stop kissing!

The situation with my family is varied - my mother is a sociopath, she has no empathy and will never apologise for things, believes in superstition and has no scientific, psychology or social understanding and is constantly judging other people in society. She was abusive to me from the age of 3, a long time before any of this happened - when you are growing up and isolated, you just think that this is the way things are for everyone, and it is only after when you leave and go into the world and meet more people that you realise that it is not.

The situation with my dad is complex - I am a multi-musician, writer, and artist - my dad is exactly the same, but much better - my earliest memory is him playing guitar and singing on the sofa in my room whilst I fell asleep - in terms of music and language and artistry he is my hero; he had a broken life before he met my mother (although opinion would differ on whether this made it better or worse), but does not question anything and does whatever she says, and as much as I feel hurt and broken, I would not wish the same on him - and so I could not bring myself to report it for that reason - I just closed down emotionally to nothing. Does this make sense?

#8 bi dystopia, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  9. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It makes sense to me since I grew up in a similarly dysfunctional family and I reacted in a similar way. I was really young and the only way to survive it was to numb out the feelings. But as I got older and met different people I saw that my family situation wasn't how normal families function.

Your mother is likely a lost cause if you want an apology from her. If she's a sociopath and believes she's in the right, then she won't be receptive to the closure you want. Since your father goes along with your mother's wants and wishes, it may be unlikely that he'll apologize too. You can state your feelings to them and try for closure, just don't get your hopes up.

In the end I think you'd be better off limiting contact with your parents as much as possible since they seem to be the kind of people who won't accept you for who you are. Keep contact with your sister and support each other as much as you can through this.

10. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sometimes, you'll never get that apology. Don't waste another 9 years of your life waiting for it. This may be the chance for you to have that familial support that you may never have had and perhaps your parents relaly do regret it and htey're tryign to reconnect. Don't push them away if you sense they're sincere, even if they are doing it the "wrong way". If they're trying, then they still love you and want to make amends

Myclosetisfull likes this.
  11. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi burntec,

I'm really sorry to hear about how your parents have treated you, especially making you think that they could call the police on you and for saying that there is something wrong with you.

Have you spoken to your sister about how you feel towards your parents? Does she feel a similar way? If so then, maybe you could focus on building up a good relationship with your sister and just cut off ties with your parents?

From what you write it is clear you want some closure with your parents and what happened but it doesn't sound like it will ever happen, even if you just phoned them up and told them exactly what you thought (i.e. when you said this "What I want is to phone up and say that I hate being offered things, or being around them on the basis that what happened before has been glazed over, that they think I am heterosexual and that they have never apologised for it, or offered any further thoughts on it.")

I know there general attitude is that we owe our parents a lot but it is not a view I hold. Our parents made the choice to have us and they cannot control who we are - this is something they should know, they are producing a new human being, not a vehicle for their ambitions. I don't think you owe or need anything from your parent, especially after they way they have treated you. Obviously, this is my view but I just wonder if it would be possible for you to forgo your desire for reconciliation with them? In other words, would you consider trying to stop needing their approval to validate yourself and just cut them off? I suggest this only because it seems that your parents won't give you the apology and acceptance you want from them and they don't deserve your ongoing attention. If you want to have a supportive family then (assuming you get on with her) your sister should be able to provide that (as you can for her) and you both can just cut your parents off from your lives. It might be the best way for you to move on.

As I say, this is just a suggestion based on what I've read here so take from it what helps. Wishing you well.

Myclosetisfull likes this.
  12. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi PatrickUK - thanks for the reply,

I understand your point about the level of apology - really the sorts of things that happened can't be undone, unremembered or fixed - but I suppose expressing regret, acceptance of being wrong and understanding the longterm effects would be a start. Understanding things as they currently stand - that who I am is who I am - is another point I suppose, but if I got both of those I would be able to try to rebuild emotionally and try to have a relationship with them - to feel like I have a family to go to:

Currently I don't see a lot of family as aside from my parents I am not out at all to my extended family and not knowing their reactions compared to my parents makes me uncomfortable and want to avoid them. I have two flatmates and a few other friends I am out to nearby, but not out to friends at work, neither do I know any other lgbt people to have support. I have no boyfriend or girlfriend - so events such as Christmas I end up spending alone - I know it's not good to isolate, but it's a comfort level thing.

I'm currently on the 3rd draft of the letter, and in the 3rd year of writing it (on and off, I'm not that sad don't worry) - I don't want to put too much detail in or be too negative or aggressive - perhaps when I've finished this draft I will post on this thread for critiquing.

Thanks for those contact details - might be best to give a link to them in the aftermath of the letter, I don't know if initially it would inflame the situation since they have an automatic negative reaction to those words.

13. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi OGS,

I think it was more to do with feeling that I had been not just rejected but forced down and stamped on and been so weak and insecure and victimised by it, and running away and not standing up to the hate and confronting them. I'm fed up of being in this presumed heterosexual bubble and it getting me down because "thats just the way things went". It's a long time later, but it's also still an issue and its only since mid January this year that I have been fully financially independent from them in a way that I was unable to address it before until I was in a position of security.

14. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi again Elendil, thankyou for your extensive contributions!

I suppose I want to be in the situation where I know where I am? Because it hasn't been confronted for a long time, a part of me hopes things might have changed - they were equally negative and critical about mental health problems at the time, but after my sister's problems, and the extensive therapy I did when I was still living there, they seem to have changed into being self proclaimed regional mental health ambassadors. Also when my sister came out, the way I heard about it was my Dad awkwardly saying on the phone "your sister has a girlfriend now", whereas I don't think he would have mentioned it before, he would have been too busy swearing violently, drunk on red wine and hiding in his study, which was what he did before.

Ultimately I want to be able to get on well with my Dad but also be comfortable. I also want the satisfaction of making a woman who has never apologised to anyone ever for anything accept that she was wrong.

Perhaps part of this has to do with being a shy teenager, and having reached 26 being inspired by other people making a point to change negativity, but feeling hypocritical towards my socio/political peers and interests that I can have these opinions but be unable to confront my own issues - and wanting to get any rebelling done before I hit 30!

15. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Foxfeather - it's not so much that I've wasted 9 years waiting for the apology, it's that the initial trauma has induced 9 years worth of mental health problems, poor self esteem, and hiding; and having reached the point where I can't take any more of it and have summoned the courage to come out again, but then looked back and felt even more upset.

They have tried to reconnect, but it seems that it is only on their terms, and that they have swept away everything that has happened without addressing it or admitting being wrong, or apologizing.

16. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would be satisfying to get a sociopath to admit their own fault and apologize, and from what you're saying it sounds like your dad might be receptive to reconciliation. And you know it could be that having both you and your sister bisexual might help change your parents' stance. Maybe they can't ignore the issue so much when both of you are bi, and that might force them to come to terms with it and become more accepting.

This is a big maybe and it'll probably take them time to reach that point.

17. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yeah, I hope it works out - when I've drafted the letter I will post on here and see what people think - and will post updates.

Thanks for your help

Lynz likes this.
  18. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anytime. Good luck!