1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Tumblr Staining the Trans Image?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tai, Mar 24, 2015.

1. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    personally, i've mostly seen all of this coming from cis bisexuals, not so much from actual trans people... but yes, i agree with the stuff you've pointed out. it's really obvious that some of them just hate lesbians.

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I dunno, if you follow nice people, you don't tend to get problems like that, but there are a lot of people out there who aren't really doing good on the Trans* image.
    Someone posted something a while ago saying 'why would you choose to be cishet?'
    And I thought that was a pretty crappy thing to do, because people don't choose to be cis, or heterosexual, in the same way that no-one chooses to be LGBT+. I dunno, I just felt like it was pretty hurtful to transitioning trans people too, like they were saying that if they fully transitioned, they'd be boring cisgenders :/

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2015 at 03:27 PM ----------

^^^^This

3. Lazuri

Absolutely. Being a Social Justice Warrior is the new cool thing to do. Problem is though, it's hard to be taken serious on the topic of social justice if you're white, cis and straight. How do you fix that? Well, by saying you're trans of course. Now you're white, trans and gay and can start telling people to check their privilege.

Then you can proceed to act like an idiot in the name of trans people everywhere and flood the systems meant to handle trans people in the countries where that's a thing.

I swear, the amount of times I've seen the comment "I wish I was born as [insert opposite gender] so I could be trans" on tumblr makes me want to stick a fork in an electrical socket and never let go.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You're right; It's mostly bisexuals and trans allies. But those beliefs are used to support trans people in the name of justice, which is why I pointed that out.

I personally know a couple of trans women on tumblr who were offended that they were used in these people's arguments to promote that kind of behavior.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stop looking to Tumblr for sociological trends.

Seriously. I swear to god I'm gonna scream the next time somebody says "should we do/think X because of Tumblr?" The answer is NO, and people need to take a scientific look at sociological trends instead of going "blarg, I found it on the internets." The cognitive bias of it just angers me so much... I don't CARE what you find on the internet unless you data mined it and you can show me the software you used for data mining it. You do NOT have a good handle on what other people are thinking just because you can enter search terms into Tumblr.

~Adrienne

#25 Pret Allez, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. BUHgofp8

BUHgofp8 Guest

I'm not a bad fan of the Tumblr community, I'm sure there are some good people on there but from what I've seen it's mostly a bunch of idiots. They always claim to stand for equality but they'll only look at one side of things and, like you said always point fingers at the people they view as "privileged". I've pretty much stayed clear of the tumblr community because of how awful so much of the community is.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. And if they were simply teaching them that they had a privilege, it would be fine. But instead of balancing it out, they are going to the complete opposite side, proved by their hateful comments, like "Cis people suck," and "Men are filthy pigs." You don't help equality's progress by spreading hate in the opposite direction, or either direction, for that matter.

Same as what I said above. They can vent, but they are in the wrong when they insult and berate the oppressor.

I don't know what otherkin is, but as Kaiser said, an example would be identifying as a plant and demanding to be called by the pronoun sprout... that's a bit outrageous, don't you think?

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2015 at 07:42 PM ----------

Well said, I completely agree.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2015 at 07:46 PM ----------

Oh God! This is the kind of crap that speaks the loudest, even if it's the minority of people, and it makes trans people AND the other innocent Tumblr users look bad.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's pretty easy to tell who the trouble makers on Tumblr are, 95% of them don't even make it difficult:

- Self-diagnosed with a shit ton of mental disorders, often times to justify being an asshole, or to look hip and edgy. Look for them to have Dissociative Identity Disorder, especially.

- Identify with fictional characters, or even real, individuals, beyond a fan or admirer's affinity. There is a difference between really liking a character or person, and then claiming to be that character or person. This sometimes goes up to being a deity or god, as ridiculous as that may sound.

- Often go beyond reasonable, when it comes to identity. 'Biromantic', 'homoromantic', 'gay', 'straight', all of that is fine. But when you're "aceflux DFAB pansexual demiboy polyamorous polykin demiromantic", you're really fishing for the special snowflake badge. And yes, that is an actual identity claimed on Tumblr.

- Always have it worse, thus giving them weight in any argument or issue: You had a bad day? No, your day was great in comparison to theirs. You were slapped on the ass by somebody, and didn't want it? You're actually desired, so fuck you, because they have nobody to love! And so on.

- Not all of the trouble-makers do this, but the most notorious ones do: They believe you don't need dysphoria to be trans, just the desire to want to be something different. This could be tolerated if... they didn't call those who do experience, and suffer from, dysphoria, "truscum", a.k.a. falsely trans-anything, in their eyes. This is, greatly, how they justify their more elaborate identities, like being an actual god or demon, which they lump under the trans-umbrella, such as otherkin and so forth.

I'm not sure if it's useful or sad, that I independently study and spectate, online personalities and the psychology behind them. But, hey, there you have it.

*closes book*

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see very often many strange and outrageous claims about tumblr by those who vow to stay well away from it. At the same time, I don't really follow people who are anti- anything. Not something I've gone out of my way to do, it's just so happened to be like that.

Even still, many of the claims I've seen are those like "Tumblr is anti-male!" when really, the vast majority of it are just sick of guys thinking they should own everything. I've even seen posts on Tumblr that debunk any totalitarian claims.

There's also a lot of confusion on some of the general claims there.

"X is shit" by people outside of Tumblr usually indicates the entirety of what X represents.
    "X is shit" by people on Tumblr usually indicates the part of X that is causing the main problem. In most cases, X represents a majority. It's poorly worded, yes. But it serves a different purpose.

I'm not saying Tumblr is entirely innocent on things, as I'm not one to rule things out. What I am trying to say is please don't be too quick to blame one source, especially if it's a form of social media.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Ryuichi, what'd I tell you about bringing common sense into anything?

<3

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I disagree. The oppressor, properly identified, should be shamed, berated, and when we are powerful enough, utterly destroyed. The view that social change proceeds by being nice to people is a load of liberal crap; it's wishful thinking that would simply be embarrassing if it weren't so dangerous. Social change proceeds from coercion. The vicious and evil are forced by the righteous either to be good or to be irrelevant. If they choose not to be good, they are destroyed. It's as simple as that. That is the way it is, the way it should be, and the way that it must continue to be, forever.

Racial segregation was not brought to an end by niceness. It was brought to an end by force. Ultimately, the law.

Legal equality for women, such as we enjoy it, was brought by law and ultimately force.

Marriage equality, such as we enjoy it, was brought by law and ultimately force.

Anyone who now speaks out against these things is vilified and ultimately destroyed in the public sphere.

As it should be, now and forever.

Also, I should point out that this thread makes me upset, because it means that people are thinking quite unscientifically about social trends. It is not as if Tumblr represents the prevailing winds of popular opinion, or even a credible indicator of public opinion.

~ Adrienne

#31 Pret Allez, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015