1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this sexual harassment?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kevin k, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So theres this kid in our school that would always pat or slap my ass in shop class. He did it once or twice and I thought he was just messing around. However, he started doing more often, and not just to me. One of my other friends in that class also got slapped. The way he does it is how a hillbilly or hick would to his woman. It's uncomfortable and wierd that he does this. So is this like harassment or is it just an odd way of showing casual friendship? What should I do?

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You say it is uncomfortable and weird so yes, it is harassment. Tell him to stop. If he keeps doing it find a teacher or the guidance counselor to report it.

Reviskova and Totesgaybrah like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whether or not it is harrassment, it is definitely a boundary violation and inappropriate. It's possible, if he only does this to boys, that he's got some same-sex attraction going on that he may not even be fully consicous of. It's also possible that this could be a learned behavior from his family, where people do that as a show of affection.

The thing is, among people who have a friendly relationship where such behaviors are common, it could be appropriate. But with people he doesn't know well, it's definitely a boundary violation that will eventually get him in trouble.

Depending on how important it is to you, you could take him aside, where no one will notice the two of you talking, and just ask him about it, and see what his perception is, and then tell him that it doesn't feel appropriate for you, and ask him to stop. If it doesn't stop, then it might be appropriate to bring it to a teacher or administrator's attention.

Reviskova likes this.
  4. StefanSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Granted I am from a different generation, but I general keep it simple. If you don't like it tell him to knock it off. If he is a jock it's common they do that to people on the team. He may not think nothing of it. I never cared for it myself so I let it be known don't do it when I was in school. I'd start off polite if he is a friend and pull him to the side and say look I need you to stop this. It's annoying and your creeping me out. If he doesn't get the picture then I'd see a teacher about it. In this day and age I wouldn't recommend escalating the situation. Let them handle it. At least where I live I've seen kids put out of schools for some of the stupidest reasons. So make sure you cover yourself mate. Good luck. :slight_smile:

Reviskova likes this.
  5. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that if you’re uncomfortable with it it needs to be addressed. I also agree that if he’s a jock he probably doesn’t think anything of it.

What makes harassment, harassment is the way it is preceived by the person receiving the actions. If you’re uncomfortable you may address it with him or if need be take it to a teacher principal or counselor at the school.