1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this gender dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by HoodieClub, Mar 2, 2020.

1. HoodieClub

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm non-binary, and afab-ulous person. I was "blessed" with a pretty large chest, and I have never really been happy with it. When I look in the mirror, I wish it would just go away, and thinking about wearing clothing that is tight around that area almost makes me feel sick. I always end up wearing hoodies and sweatshirts, because otherwise I feel awkward and exposed. I feel like I might really like binding and not having to see my chest.

However, there are several reasons why I'm hesitant to label it dysphoria. The first is that, for example, when I'm in the shower, I don't really care about my chest, or seeing it. It's just fleshy lumps to me. Another reason is that I love to wear skirts and have long hair. I just see this not as female things, really, but as me things. It's not girls clothes, it's my clothes. Finally, I struggle with my self image, specifically my stomach, because societal pressure and low self esteem. This might just be me thinking it's dysphoria when really it's just a bad body image, but that seemes sort of wierd seeing as many girls want a bigger chest, not a smaller one.

I think that if it's dysphoria, it's because breasts are inherently female, which I am not. People might my clothes are girly, but it's just my clothes. However, if it is dysphoria, that brings the nerve wracking question:

How the heck do I ask my parents for a binder?

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Based on what you've said, this sentence describes you best. (Love that you called yourself "AFAB-ulous"). As far as how to ask your parents, basically say to them exactly what you said here. Tell them how you feel, why you want a binder, and how you think you'll feel better if you had one.

#2 LaurenSkye, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  3. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would not say you have dysphoria because there are times that you do not having a big chest, like when you are in the shower. If you had dysphoria, you would be worried about it all the time. The positives are that you see yourself as being fabulous, which you are. Everyone is unique. If you like wearing hoodies then that must be the right thing to do. I would ask your parents for the binder. I'm sure they will accept you.

Peace and Love