1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a panic attack?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Canterpiece, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I sometimes experience certain moments that my friends have called panic attacks in the past. They usually happen somewhere noisy and crowded. Fight or flight kicks in and I have to go somewhere else otherwise I become rather uneasy and start acting a bit strange.

If I leave the situation

Then I find somewhere private to calm down. I'm not in major panic, and I'm fairly used to this happening so it doesn't feel shocking or sudden. However, that is not to say that it is pleasant. Because it isn't. The feeling is more surreal than anything. Dream like. Everything in my environment becomes slurred and this sense of urgency takes over me. If possible, I usually try to recover somewhere with dimmed lights, quiet music, comfy clothes/sheets and comfort food whilst alone. Typically I feel exhausted after these moments happen, so recovery time is important.

But if I stay...

Well, it doesn't end well. I become rude to people (the exhaustion leads to irritability thus lower tolerance for minor things which typically wouldn't bother me) and sometimes I reach a level of derealisation that's just...bizarre. To the point where if you talk to me whilst I'm experiencing it, I can hear you but it comes across as meaningless sounds that I can't process. Almost like white noise. I'm aware that there's someone talking to me, but I can't seem to say anything or understand what's happening.

Normal: Are you OK?

Whilst losing a sense of reality: lar er r?

My mind is just foggy and it's almost as though I'm floating through life. I usually focus on a random object, such as a wall, and that starts to feel real. Then I slowly think about a few other things in the room one by one until everything feels real again. I wouldn't say that I feel panicked, more "What on Earth?" type confusion. Although I've gotten so used to it now, that when it happens I think "Oh, this again, huh, alright I got this". It's a bizarre feeling, almost like existing outside of time and space for a quick moment before coming back down to reality.

Whenever I go to a party or anywhere that has the potential to be overwhelming, I usually have a backup plan and bring certain comforting items such as an old MP3 player. But it's become so routine that it doesn't feel so much as a moment of panic, but more surreal. I don't get shortness of breath or anything like that. Sometimes I close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears with my head down, then I take the fingers out of my ears and it feels as though I've just come up from being underwater. My thoughts seem calmer, and my environment becomes less daunting.

I don't know. Been experiencing these moments since I was ten, maybe younger. Can't quite explain them. I guess I'm just overwhelmed. *Shrugs*

#1 Canterpiece, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Bobsleigh1 likes this.
  2. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Girl.....I know exactly what you’re going through. I’m quite amazed at how you were able to put it into words. I’ve always struggled when attempting to tell people what I’m experiencing.

But back to your original question. I’m not quite sure what you’re experiencing could be classified as a panic attack. If you were experiencing that, I don’t think you’d even have to question it lol. I think what we suffer more with is sensory overload. However, I do suffer with social anxiety as well, but I’m able to distinguish between the two now. Whenever I’m around large groups of people, I somehow become detached and just kind of float around. I’m not really present anymore. That sounds kind of weird and crazy, but the way you were describing sounds exactly the same to what I experience. If so, then I believe that may be what it is. However, it doesn’t hurt to talk to a doctor or other qualified professional about it.

Bobsleigh1 likes this.
  3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's more along the lines of an anxiety attack from the way you described it. Anxiety has more mental symptoms like that, panic attacks tend to primarily be physiological like very fast heart rate, shallow breathing, passing out etc.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Originally I wasn't sure how to describe it either, I used to just refer to them vaguely. "Sorry about yesterday, I uh, had a moment". Personally, they occur fairly regularly to the point where everyone in my life is used to it. Some more than others. I now know what steps I can take to reduce the chances of one happening, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Had a fairly bad one last year on a trip out.

I went with my University course, and our tutors were there. Started acting strangely, which caught their attention. One of the tutors found me crying in a toilet stall and asked if I was just tired or upset that I didn't win this game I had been playing earlier. Then later on the other tutor asked me similar questions. I lied and went along with the idea that I had been crying over the game. "I'm just a sore loser/really passionate about winning" seemed easier than explaining "Oh I was actually crying over the food banquet section of the trip because I got overwhelmed by all the noise/smells/ the amount of people and as a result got so mentally worked up that I started crying and this is fairly normal for me".

Yeah, that's probably true. Whenever people described it as a panic attack it never seemed accurate. Sometimes when I walk past certain places with friends and family they say things such as "Oh hey, isn't that the restaurant you freaked out in/had a panic attack?" Why yes. I did freak out there. Wasn't a fun experience.

Doesn't sound all that weird or crazy to me. :smiley: I've used the term sensory overload or sensory overwhelmed before. However, I have come across people who use it in ways I can't relate to or don't seem to fit so I'm not entirely sure if it's correct but it definitely fits better than panic attack.

True.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The beginning of the post - yes, it is a panic attack. That's exactly what it is. At least in my opinion. The sense of urgency that doesn't really have a palpable source.
    The part if you stay there is not a panic attack, though. But it's still anxiety, with derealisation.

If you know what triggers it, you can avoid it and it's the best cure. Not everyone is into loud parties after all. It's okay. I'm not a fan either. A lot of people are the same.

6. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I relate to this so much, that sounds like me on most days, especially days out of the house or unfamiliar events and activities or people. The combination of urgency and anxiety, a building frustration and fear, and then being completely spaced out, unable to focus properly and just kinda tripping honestly, perhaps irritability too, then the exhaustion and the need for a controlled space to start a kind of "healing process" you've acquired over the years and try to rehabilitate oneself into reality.
    But It's most likely that, for me, this is called a sensory overload, which is a symptom of Asperger's Syndrome (which I have) so I know it well. But, who knows, have a look into it, you might find some good advice online using the term whether what you're experiencing is an overload or an attack.

#6 Bobsleigh1, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2019