1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there something wrong with me

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by emma1200, Jun 12, 2019.

1. emma1200

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you read my last post I’ve realized this one is really similar but I just need to let it out somewhere - sorry

I came out as bi to a few of my friends a while ago and it went really well but around the same time I started talking to this guy. I’ve never been in a relationship before with a guy before but he started talking to me first and all of my friends are obsessed with him so I just went with it. I thought I liked him, he’s attractive and really nice and respectful so I have been talking with him for a few months and we’re hooking up and I lost my virginity to him.
    I was really comfortable with my label as bi but after having sex with him and having this thing go on for so long I’m starting to rethink everything.
    I can tell that I’m physically attracted to him but then I’m really bored when we’re hooking up. I almost dread hanging out with him alone even though our conversations are usually fine and I’m not uncomfortable around him or anything. The only thing is that I had a relationship with a girl in the past and I’m pretty sure I had fallen in love with her and I’m not getting any feelings at all for this guy. And it made me look back and realize that I had always thought that I was just a “deep” person and didn’t have crushes bc I needed a deeper connection but the only guys that I have ever liked have been ones that had liked me first and I just kind of went with it.
    I would be okay labeling myself as a lesbian because I’ve come to accept that part of myself but I still have physical attraction to this guy.
    I feel like I’m using him since he seems to actually like me but I have no feelings for him at all.
    Can I still be gay if I have sexual attraction for guys? I don’t want to tell my friends that I’m actually a lesbian then end up falling for a guy in the future. But maybe I’m just getting too focused on labels and just don’t like this one guy.
    I’m just not sure if or how to end it with him without an explanation.
    Sorry that that was long winded and a bit confusing - just looking to talk w someone who’s had a similar experience or knows what I should do abt this guy
    thank you xoxo

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I wouldn't say I have experience but from what you have written it sounds like there could be a couple of things going on.

Firstly you could be bi and just not into him. When someone shows interest in us it's flattering, even if we don't feel the same so it's easy to get swept along with it. My only doubt on this reasoning is that you say you have never really crushed on a guy. Have you crushed on girls?

Secondly you could be gay but just have a social conditioning that you like guys and so the attraction you feel is what has been built into you. You mention your friends were all into him so perhaps that made it seem more exciting etc.

someone else might have some better pearls of wisdom but what I will say which is quite clear is that if you don't like him and you aren't enjoying it, then you definitely have to end it. You don't have to give a detailed explanation about everything you have going on if you don't want just say that you aren't into him like he is you and you don't want to lead him on.

3. emma1200

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thank you for your response! i’ve never had a crush on a guy before but i have had a few and one that i acted on and ended up dating this girl two years ago. i feel like i hadn’t ever had a real crush before that and i’m comparing this guy to her every day. i just don’t get the same feelings for him or any other guy as i did for her. i thought maybe it was just because i didn’t like him but this pst year i’ve developed a crush on this girl that i dance with and i have more feelings for her than for this guy even though we’re not even together or very close friends.
    although i don’t want to go through the trouble and hate confrontation i think your right and i’m going to have to end it. i’m not unhappy but i’m not happy in the relationship either and i don’t want to hurt him if i lead him on for too long.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Breaking up with him feels harsh but he deserves to be with someone who feels the same way for him and the longer you wait the harder and more painful it will be. Feeling bad about it just means you are a nice person.

5. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First, I just want to point out that at the beginning of your post, your reasons for dating this guy seem like a check list of qualities you think you should look for in a man, not qualities you actively want in a man. You say that all of your friends were obsessed with him, but were you obsessed with him?

I agree that it's possible you're bi, and you just don't like this one man. After all, you said you had sex for the first time ever with him, so it is possible that you two just aren't compatible. But it also sounds like you know your feelings for women are different, and maybe even deeper than what they are for men. You could be a lesbian experiencing the effects of living in a heteronormative society.

You seem to be confused about possibly being a lesbian, while also having sexual feelings in a relationship with a man. I don't know what's in your head, or what you're feeling, but I think it's important for you to define what "sexual attraction" is to you. Are you sexually attracted to him, and his body, or are you just into the idea of him, and the attention he gives you? Do you fantasize about him specifically, or parts of his body? Do you like him, or do you like that he likes you, and that he's the type of person you think you should be with? Do you like him, because he's your boyfriend, or is he your boyfriend because you like him? Only liking guys who have liked you first, as you said, isn't necessarily indicative of genuine attraction. If you haven't already, I'd suggest looking into compulsory heterosexuality. A lot of what you've written sounds like textbook comp het. I could go on for hours talking about comp het and social conditioning, so feel free to hit me up if you want to chat!

For now though, you don't have to stress about what label suits you best. Maybe you should just sit with your thoughts for a bit, and do a bit of digging into your subconscious. And you should never be with someone, regardless of gender, who you know you're not really into. You shouldn't ever have to settle, no matter how you end up identifying!

canadawet likes this.
  6. emma1200

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve looked into the compulsory heterosexuality and it was a bit upsetting how much I related to a lot of it. I like talking about him with other people - my mom and family loves him and gets super excited, he’s pretty popular and I can talk to more people at school cause I’m his girlfriend and my friends are all happy for me and want to hear about it. I don’t enjoy talking to him or hanging out with him though.

I find myself wishing that I was with a girl or back with my ex gf all of the time.

Although I am sexually attracted to him to an extent. I don’t particularly want or look forward to hooking up with him but I am aroused when we are. This is super confusing to me because I feel like my body and my mind are telling me two different things.

I’m generally just very confused but impatient as well. I feel like this is one of those things that I need to give time and it will figure itself out. I also just don’t want to lead him on for too long and I don’t want to be stuck in a relationship that I’m unhappy in.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the fundamental point which you have to consider is are you happy in the relationship. If not then regardless of sexuality you should end the relationship now. If you are happy then perhaps you need to just give it a bit more time. However like you say if you only like the relationship because of how much everyone around you likes it then long term it isn't going to work.

8. TaurusMage

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A lot of people have already given great advice here, and it sounds like you're taking a lot of it to heart--which is fantastic! The biggest advice I have is definitely to break up with him. Not just because you shouldn't have to settle, but because I genuinely think that doing so might help you to discover the "real" nature of your sexuality. Breaking up with him very well may allow you to explore your feelings to other guys (as well as other girls), because you won't have to worry about him any longer--he won't even be in the picture.

I recently broke up with my boyfriend of a bit over a year and a half. Technically we were engaged, but I don't even like to think about that. Let me be honest here: he's a great guy, and as a person, I love him. But I don't know if I ever loved him, or if I loved how much he loved me. I don't know, but I did have very strong amounts of affection for him. Honestly, as far as sex goes, it took over a year for us to do anything (I wasn't ready), and even after that we only had sex I think maybe five or six times? And out of those five or six times, I enjoyed it exactly once.

Despite that, I'm not a lesbian. That has less to do with being with a guy than it does having sex when I wasn't ready / wasn't mentally prepared. The reason I'm saying this particular bit is just that I want to point out that you being bored during sex with him might truly be because it's him, and not because you're not that into guys.

I want to ask a question, although it's perfectly possible that you might not know the answer to it just yet (and if you don't, then that's fine). You say that you are "physically attracted" to him, but what do you mean, exactly? To borrow handy-dandy terminology from the asexuals, do you mean that you feel aesthetically (you like how someone looks, but don't necessarily desire sex, romance, or other forms of intimacy; they may or may not be your "type," but you appreciate them from an aesthetic point) or sexually attracted (at least on some level you desire sex or intimacy with him. this is completely independent of what your feelings are like when the two of you are having sex) to him? The reason I ask is because if at any point you have felt genuine sexual desire to him (even though you've been bored when it's happening), that can go a long way in saying that you're bisexual.

And, in fact, it's perfectly possible that you're bisexual with a strong preference for females. :slight_smile:

But if that's not the case, and you're a lesbian--there's definitely nothing wrong with that!

9. wanttoknow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can completely relate to this, and I too have felt broken for the longest time.

I developed 'crushes' on girls, though I didn't really fantasise sexually about them, and it was usually when they showed interest in me when I started to feel like I really liked them. Whenever these budding relationships collapsed, I was never upset.

I can admire their beauty, and even want to kiss them, though when I do it always feels flat. I have also attempted to have sex with 4 girls, could only perform for 2 and those experiences were so boring to me.

I am still having difficulty seeing guys as romantic partners, I am still dealing with internalised homophobia, but I can now see I was never really attracted to girls, despite being completely convinced that I was.