1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any point in coming out as bi when dating the opposite sex?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sayu Tower, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Sayu Tower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a boyfriend of over 5 years. I think it's pretty likely that we'll end up getting married within the next few years (touch wood). So I'm just wondering whether it's even worth it coming out. I live in a small European country where a lot of people are still homophobic, although I consider the circle of people around me to be pretty open-minded.

I've come out to my brother, my mum, a bunch of my friends, my bf and I came out to most of them before I got into my current relationship, because I thought I'd end up dating girls.

Sometimes, I feel like I want to tell people that I'm bi, but then I don't really see the point as I'm in a happy relationship with a guy. But at the same time, I feel like this is part of who I am and I would like people to know it about me. What do you think?

Gayhusband likes this.
  2. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend, the world is changing. Thank goodness this isn't the Middle Ages when a LGBT people could be burned at the stake. If you are out to your mother, brother and friends and that you and your boyfriend are not only out but likely to get married, don't worry about what othets think or say. You can't waste your time fretting about what neighbors and passerby people might mutter (I'd wager many wouldn't care or might actually be quite supportive). Please try to live your life for yourself and not for others. You and your bf will be happier in the long run. Good luck! Hope there is a proposal in your future soon! *smile*

Blanched likes this.
  3. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course you need to come out, so you can attend lgbt pride parade together and make sure your kids will not turn into a homophobe in the future.