1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is smoking more common in LGBT community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No

139 vote(s)
    76.4%
  3. Used to

15 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't smoke and I don't like smoking in general. If I was with someone who smoked, I'd try to get them to quit as soon as possible.

2. tscott

It's a terrible habit and damned difficult to quit. I find I still have cravings and on occasion will give in if really stressed, but I consider myself a non-smoker and wouldn't allow it in my apartment.

For the record, I like the smell of good cigars. I also find it a bit of a turn on. As a former cigarette smoker though, I find it peculiar to smoke something and not inhale.

3. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I definitely believe that smoking in the LGBT community is a very popular pass time. I myself, don't smoke at all. I mean, I remember I did try hookah once but I didn't like it and I never cared for Cigarettes. Vapes are not on my radar either.

It would be very hard for me to date someone who smoked. If they were vapes, I could probably get passed it but cigarettes, I just couldn't.. .

4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never examined the data to determin any correlations between orientation and smoking so I can't say.

Happy days :slight_smile:

5. Sophie986

Sophie986 Guest

I don't smoke but I like the smell of it, my girlfriend smokes though c;

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see more smoking among gay and lesbian folks, from what I can detect on a cursory level.

For one thing, some of these friends were precocious, and they began to smoke, some even marijuana, keep later hours, and became sexually active earlier. Along with that, they didn't tend to life plans as well. One good friend comes to mind right now. He is a real loyal friend but, damn, can he be a flake. I sort of understand that it comes with how he is wired, but I find it frustrating since I am rarely flaky.

As for the reasons why, I think it was a cool thing to do that just stuck, it is popular in some eating and drinking establishments they might frequent, their peer reference group does it, and, like any other addiction, it's a way to release stress.

The smell of tobacco doesn't bother me at all, if it's on another person. It's not a dirty smell. It's just a unique one. However, having that smell in my dwelling or car pisses me off and I tell people they cannot smoke in my place or in my car. The fact that people do that, without asking, shows that they have bad manners and lack basic courtesy.

7. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't and I don't know anyone who is LGBT+ personally who does. I won't lie and say I don't like the smell of smoke, it's kind of peculiar but I guess I've gotten used to it by having people around me (friends and external family members) who smoke. It sort of makes me feel safe in a way but I don't go out of my way to inhale smoke.

8. Rumpletubb

It feels like I'm gonna be hated for this but, I smoke and even though it's extremely unhealthy, I'm not ready to quit yet because I somewhat like it. Quite meditative and extremely social. Plus, fits nicely with beer and coffee.

I could absolutely date a smoker for obvious reasons and I do think it can look a little hot if a guy with the right appearance do it.

9. CrazyChances

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No no no no and no! It's a make-or-break for me, dating wise. I could NOT date a girl who smoked. A few people in my family smoke, and I hate it. I've tried to get them to quit, but I guess you can't make them - they'll only quit if they want to.

10. norasariah

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I used to chainsmoke a lot. I don't smoke anymore. I haven't had a cigarette in like five months I think? I just can't stand the smell. I don't know if I'd date a smoker.

11. JJSP

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought this would be a great place to share this news (even if this thread is old and this might be considered spam).
    I found an article Vaping and Smoking in LGBTQ Community and it says that young people from LGBTQ Community are twice as likely to smoke than 'straight peers'.
    What do you think about it? I must say that I, myself, have a problem with smoking, and looking amongst other people it looks to be true. How is it in your area?

12. spaceintime2032

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Never smoked a cigarette. not good for your lungs.

13. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

It seems that most of us here don't smoke. Personally, I'm not one to judge if someone is a smoker; everyone has the right to do what they want to with their own bodies. However, I'm not a smoker, and I never have been. I used to date someone who was a smoker, and I very much dislike smoking. I can't handle cigarette smoke; it makes me choke/cough easily.

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't smoke, drink, or use any drugs outside of caffeine and prescribed medications.

15. Koizee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Could depend on your area, I live in pretty religious area, and LGBT people who live here tend to form close anti-social groups. Every group i've known has had at least one smoker, and 60% of 'em are addicted to marijuana

16. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a smoker, and have been for about 5 or 6 years now. I'm not surprised I smoke as I grew up around a lot of heavy smokers, most of whom have quit. I originally started smoking as a last resort to dealing with a lot of stress. At the time I started my grandma's health was declining and my grandpa (who i ran a business with at the time, and will play into later) was taking care of her. His stress of having to help take care of her got transferred/taken out on me quite often, even when my grandma was moved into a nursing home. Once she passed and that stress went away I had to deal with the stress of trying to run a business that ultimately failed. And then there was the stress of basically starting over, moving to Florida, coming out and dealing with a failing marriage.

I want to quit and have tried before. Longest i managed to make it was when I quit cold turkey and made it 4 days before I caved in to the cravings and stress. I hate the smell of it, on you, your things, others and in general. The smoke ruins things like you wouldn't believe. I also don't like the way it makes you feel, how it seems to sap your energy and making it so you have trouble doing things that you used to be able to do no problem.

17. Taraeos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't smoke, never have and never will.

Actually, most of the people I know who are LGBT don't smoke..I know a couple who have and quit- but come to think of it, I'm not sure anyone in my circle of friends is a smoker...

18. spaceintime2032

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Theres only me out of six children that doesn’t smoke. I have always been the one that didn’t really take risks with my health. Don't even drink that often now.

19. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate smoking. I have never smoked and, I hope, never will smoke. About a month ago a law was passed here in my country, preventing smoking in all restaurants. I'm really glad for that.

20. spaceintime2032

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here can’t smoke in any inclosed place. I think smoking here will disappear in a few years. taxes are too high for people. and cigarette packaging is not very appealing.