1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is smoking more common in LGBT community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No

139 vote(s)
    76.4%
  3. Used to

15 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Even if my name is FireSmoke :grin: I hate smoking and to breath the others smoking.

2. Yeah, I smoke. I think I was basically self-medicating for anxiety throughout my teenage years/20's I notice when I'm relaxed & around people who are comfortable about my sexuality, my urge to smoke decreases significantly. I plan to quit soon :slight_smile:

3. Jethro702

I don't smoke. I can't stand it. I got sick the last time someone worked on the house and they smoked on the front porch. I don't know many people who smoke though.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I fucking hope not.

5. Colours

Smoking is banned in public areas in the UK? As in, outside? Whoa. And in cars? I mean if I own a car and want to smoke in it, who's going to tell me I can't? It's mine.

I started smoking when I was 18. I wish I didn't to be honest. When I think of all the money I've spent on it... I wasn't trying to fit in really, I had done it casually before (I was younger and was trying to fit in and experiment) but didn't get addicted then so I figured it wouldn't do much harm. Few years later - I've tried to quit several times but it's hard when you have family members and friends around you who do, let alone the fact that 80% of my co workers are smokers... I'm not a heavy smoker but I'm definitely addicted.

I don't like smoking inside, because of the smell and the smoke and I don't want bother other people with it. I don't understand people who don't smoke but allow others to smoke in their home. Why would you want that.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't smoke but yeah- I know a few people in the circles I run in who do, all under 21. Definitely think it's a self medicating thing. I know a couple buddies of mine, both trans and smokers, had lot of family issues, body dysphoria, etc. So wouldn't doubt it's an easy way to cope with all that shit.

7. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never smoked, drank, or done any drugs. I find all of that stuff to be pretty gross, and also there are definite health problems associated with them, which I don't want to deal with at all.

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. There are countless factors that influence people to smoke. I can see being LGBT as a POSSIBLE contribution to it, but it's really the environmental factors that LGBT people might endure that would make them smoke.

My dad is heterosexual and he has smoked since he was a teen. Back then, most doctors said it was healthy! Straight and cis people get stressed out as well.

I don't care if my friends smoke. As long as they don't talk to me while they're smoking. Passive smoking kills.

I refuse to date smokers. It's for similar reasons that I refuse to date heavy drinkers or anyone that takes illegal drugs. Medications are okay if I am informed about them, heck, I take them myself. It's a safety concern. Quite frankly, I want as few risks to consider as possible.

9. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

^ This. I'd rejoice to never have to smell cigarette smoke again as long as I live.

10. biggayguy

I quit almost three years ago. I used to smoke those little cigarillos once or twice a day. Went into the hospital for emergency surgery. They had a no smoking policy and I was there for a month. They gave me nicotine patches for the cravings. When they released me I stayed quit. However the damage was done. I have emphysema and COPD. Now I'm on oxygen continuously and breathing treatments three times a day. PLEASE, don't smoke!

11. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good thread Linco. Interesting results on the poll.

It's so weird, I forever hear everyone slam smoking and how much of a turn off it is, yet when it comes to people I know and regularly speak to, most of smoke constantly (a few a day) or at least occasionally. Could be coincidence.

Smoking is a huge turn off for me I'm afraid. Smells pretty awful but I hate the thoughts of the effects second hand smoking might be having when I can smell it more.

If it wasn't harmful it would be a minor annoyance, but because of it's effects I'm just a big no no. I've never touched any kind of smoking - tobacco or the illegal stuff, and hope I never will.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd only smoke if I happened to catch fire. :lol:

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya I smoke 10 packs a day oh that crap it's great :icon_bigg

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't smoke, and although I know my ex is a smoker, the amount of queer people I know who smoke is negligible. I detest cigarettes, and I hope not many people at all will smoke in the future.

Anyway, I think that it's a bad idea to declare smoking rates among queer people as above or below average without veritable statistics (which would still be somewhat inaccurate).

15. Beetle

I used to smoke. I probably wouldn't date a smoker since I'd be afraid of taking it up again, if I'm around cigarette smoke I get anxious due to cravings. Quitting is hard.

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a lot of gay people who smoke weed, if that counts. I love the smell of a nice skunk weed, that's a huge but weird turn-on. That odd, musky-woody smell, both when smoked, and un-smoked. One smells a fair amount of skunk wafting about the city, and it's not from the animals. (Maryland has decriminalized it in small amounts)

#36 HuskyPup, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

The answer is yes.

I think substance use (and abuse) in general is higher among LGBTQ populations than the general population, including cigarette smoking.

Growing up queer in any way, dealing with all the adversity that comes with, from bullying in schools to being denied equal rights under the law to being targeted for violent attacks on the street, along with the depression and anxiety that such adversity begets, leads LGBTQ people to self-medicate, whether it's alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, or other drugs.

Nicotine can help to relieve anxiety and depression and calm someone down, so it is one way depressed or anxious people self-medicate.

Based on what studies and stats we have, it does appear that LGBTQ people are, in fact, substantially more likely to smoke:

Report: Smoking rate within LGBT community nearly double general population – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Center Facts: Smoking and the LGBT Community

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a smoker. I don't see the appeal.

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, this poll is not scientific, it doesn't "prove" anything. All the result indicates is that a majority of EC posters who saw this thread and decided to answer the poll say they do not smoke. It is not a scientific poll of the LGBT community as a whole, nor does it attempt in any way to compare smoking rates of LGBT people to smoking rates of straight people.

See my post above.

Every scientific study and analysis has found that smoking IS more common in the LGBT community than among straight people. And by a substantial amount.

20. BelleFromHell

I deleted my comment. (my internet is slow)

I was pretending to be positive. I'm well aware that LGBT people are more likely to smoke. That's a big reason why I don't hang out with other lesbians.

Whatever. Most of the LGBT community treats me like complete shit, so if they want to smoke cancer sticks, that's their problem.