1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Scar from The Lion King implied to be gay?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by alexi12, Jun 11, 2011.

1. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

@No One, I knew that!! It makes me laugh every time :grin:

2. have you ever seen Simbas Pride? supposedly Vitani (Kovu's sister) was scar and nalas daughter.

---------- Post added 2nd Nov 2011 at 01:43 PM ----------

Have you ever seen simbas pride. if you have kovu's sister vitani was supposed to be scar and nalas daughter. luka says "whats so great about him? he's not even scars son." which is saying (to me) that he is scars son. but whos son is kovu? i mean he looks like scar.

All of my info comes from relevant sites. :grin:

3. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    yeah hes suppose to represent a sangoma (african witch-doctor)

yeah dont think hes gay, but flambouant is a good word "ooo i should practice my curtsey" lol

4. Emberstone

so having a english accent makes you gay? oooh, I proclaim danial radcliffe mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. J Snow

This is actually something I've pointed out before. Scar, Ursula, Jaffar, and Hades are all examples of Disney villians that break gender roles. In fact, I would go out on a limb and say in most of Disney's films the protagonist of the film adheres far more to society's gender roles than does the antagonist. The only real counter example I can think of is the dude from Beauty and the Beast. Gaston?

6. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

WHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? LMFAOROTFF No, goodness no, he wasn’t gay! LMAO! Yea, he said “I shall practice my curtsey” and shit but he’s just well-mannered and sophisticated but he’s not gay.

Come to think of it, who names their son “Scar”? Why? Because he has a scar? What an insensitive mother. LOL. You name one “Mufasa”, which means “king” in Manazota, while you name your darker son “Scar”? LOL Mean bitch. LOL.

---------- Post added 2nd Nov 2011 at 06:17 PM ----------

I’ll fight you for him!

7. MusicMan12

this made me laugh SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much :roflmao:

8. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, he's implied to be Claudius, not sure about gay though.
    Actually, now that I think about it, he was a bit too fabulous. And he didn't take a queen when he took over the kingdom. Maybe he is a little bit gay.

9. ANightDude

He's not gay.

I say this because there was a scene deleted in the movie where Scar and Zazu are talking, and the Hyenas come in and complain there is no food, and Scar sends them away. Sound familiar? Yeah, it was in the movie. Only the original scene was an entire musical number called "The Madness of King Scar", where Scar is going insane during this song. Then Nala comes in.

In simpler terms, he tries to... do her. Then she gives him another scar.

I'm not even joking. The song never made it into the movie, but it is in the Broadway Musical.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZQUdvQ_SQ&feature=related[/youtube]

I don't think they ever indented him to be gay. Just a crazy bastard.

10. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have not read the comics series that takes place before Lion King 1 and between Lion King 1 and Lion King 2?

The reason Nala left Pride Rock was because Taka ( Scar's real name ) was trying to make her his mate. After she refused his advances, he banished her from Pride Rock. Also, even though Kovu is not Taka's son ( he was in the original script, but they did not want to include incest in Disney ) Nuka and Vitani are Taka's children with Zira.

I have been a HUGE Lion King fan since I was a child. Want to know the backstory behind the Lion King 2 ( why Simba was such an overprotective grouch, and why Zira and the other Lionesses became outsiders, and why Simba dislikes the outsiders so much ) give me a ring, and I will be glad to give you all the information, all the way from Adheli and Uru ( Mufasa and Taka's parents, and Simba's grandparents ) all the way down to Kiara and Kovu :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 2nd Nov 2011 at 08:06 PM ----------

I can also link you to a site with all the information and character liniage lines if you want?

Adheli + Uru = Mufasa, Taka ( Scar )
    Mufasa + Serabi = Simba
    Taka + Zira = Nuka, Vitani
    Zira + ? = Kovu ( Taka in original script )
    Simba + Nala = Kopa ( killed by Zira for revenge on Taka's death ), Kiara

Does that help clear up if Taka/Scar is gay? lol!

11. Mogget

Whether Scar has children in the sequel is utterly irrelevant to whether he is portrayed as gay in the films. Whether he has het sex is also irrelevant because he could be a depraved bisexual just as easily as a depraved homosexual. And in my reading, yes, Scar is a depraved queer, either gay or bi.

12. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, lion prides only ever tend to have one male - males that are not leaders of prides (including male offspring) leave or are driven off to either live alone or become leaders of different prides.

So Scar could easily have had (male) children - they just wouldn't be around.

P.S. I don't know why I felt compelled to comment on this - I just really really love The Lion King. Saw the 3D one in theaters recently, I was like a kid again! :slight_smile:

P.P.S. I love the point about Disney villains and foreign accents/gender bending. So true.

13. colmanic14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol the things you miss as a young boy :wink: jk haha

14. djstcktn326

I love Hercules, it's been so long since I've seen it. I absolutely love Disney movies.

15. Doctor Faustus

Well if it's true then to me it just reinforces the stereotype of the homosexual as evil/villainous/detrimental to society &c. But seriously, I never thought of Scar that way tbh. He was just deliciously creepy.

:O omg this is true! The resemblance is pretty eerie. xD

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never got a gay vibe off of Scar, now Capt. Hook on the other hand........

17. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never thought Scar was gay, but I always wanted Kiara to be with another girl lion instead of Kivu.

18. djstcktn326

Wow, my last post went way off topic. But no I don't think scar is gay, he's just flamboyant.

19. anatta

Yes, realising this has ruined many Disney films for me. I used to like Pocahontas but now I realise that John Ratcliffe is yet another example of negative stereotyping of feminine males I can't enjoy it as much.

What's more interesting still though is that I've never heard of complaints being made about how feminine Disney villains, or any villains are, only about how feminine GOOD or LIKEABLE characters are.

The people who complain that their children shouldn't be 'exposed' to male gender non-conformity on TV don't complain when feminine males are portrayed as the villain, or unpleasant in some way.

No, they complain about Spongebob and Tinky Winky because these characters fail to reinforce the message that the parents want their children to receive, that gender nonconformity, especially in males, is a bad thing. :dry:

20. Scar12231

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Actually Scars mother (Uru) called her son Taka but he was supposed to have been attacked by a rhino while trying to kill his brother Mufasa so he could be the next king after that everyone called him Scar.

Hope this helps :icon_bigg