1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nocturnal Lord, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Nocturnal Lord

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to see what people have to say on me looking for advice on coming out to my grandmother.

Me and my grandmother share a close relationship. I have come out to my Mother (although she continues to claim its just a phase, etc). And also some cousins and an Aunt in law. But that's it. Not to my brother or Father, nor rest of my family.

I think my Grandmother truely wants to have Grandkids in life. She's nice to anyone who happens to be lgbt, but then she almost equates them to being almost like a lower class of human in a way. (Well, she comes from a very different time period and strict ukrainian-orthodox family)

Should I even bother coming out to her? She happens to make a lot of comments about people who are different. (Which disturbs me.) Is it worth it to come out to any family or future friends? I've had nothing but negative experiences so far.

Its pretty much easier to stay closeted. At this rate.

2. Rlong2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't pressure yourself into coming out. If you aren't ready than just wait till you are. It may seem like a drag but it's better in the long run. And if she truest loved you she would accept you. And about the grand children you could have a sourragette or adopt.

Nocturnal Lord likes this.
  3. Luka99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess this is no question with a good and bad answer.
    On one hand, if you come out to her she might surprise you by how well she takes it, even it may take a while for the shock to wear off.
    You can be yourself, don't have to evade questions about girlfriends etc and perhaps she will stop making bad remarks about lgbtq people.
    But it is also possible it will damage or atleast change your relationship. You won't know until you actually come out to her.

So what is more important to you? Keeping up appereances to make sure your relationship won't change, or coming out so you can be who you want to be to her.

Oh and if you come out to your grandmother, chances are she will tell other people and then everyone else will find out too, including your father.
    Are you ready for that? Do you risk getting kicked out of the house if your dad finds out?

Good luck with this... !

Nocturnal Lord likes this.