1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it rude to stare?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Dec 20, 2014.

?

Is staring rude?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2014.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. It depends

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A pet peeve of mine is staring. I hate when someone constantly stares at you for no reason and when you make it known that you know they are staring they keep doing it. I give dirty looks and nothing works. I have so many bad memories of being staring at me and judging me that it became a huge pet peeve of mine. I even had adults staring and pointing at me with their children encouraging them to stare and laugh. It makes me have huge anxiety problems and i get really uncomfortable.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it rude to stare? It depends.
    After giving them dirty looks? Hell yeah.
    Encouraging to their kids to laugh? Hell yeah.

3. Rainbows~Exist

Yes... but that doesn't stop me when a hottie walks by :lol:

4. Notlad

I would say not in all situations, but whenever I get caught staring for whatever reason I get embarassed.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You know who the hell I am?

It's rude not to stare!

LOL!

But seriously, it depends on why you're staring. A curious glance is fine, I do that. But an intentionally objectifying kind of stare, that is when it becomes problematic. Also, where the eyes dart to and stay on.

If people are staring at you, and your dirty looks aren't working, you may want to consider this: keep looking at them. Don't break eye contact first, let them break it. You may have to do this two or three times, but eventually they'll stop, because you aren't presenting yourself as an 'easy target' -- which is what those who look down or away from others, come off as.

If children are being encouraged to laugh at you, just shrug it off. That's easier said than done, but if you act like there's nothing to be laughed at about, most kids are clever enough to pick up on that, and then ask themselves, "Why are we being told to laugh at this again?". They may not defy their parents then, but they'll remember that next time something similar comes up, especially if it involves their own lives.

However, I am curious about something... unless you have some noticeable condition, what would make people point and laugh at you? If you know or have an idea, then maybe you can lessen this.

6. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm going to have to say it depends.

When you're old enough to be my grandfather and you're checking out my cleavage? Hell yeah it is.

When I have a foot tall purple Mohawk in a conservative town? I can understand it.

7. Candace

I would say that it depends. If you're staring at a hot girl who's not interested in you...then yeah possibly. If you're checking out the guy's ten gallon hat...sure.

8. shinji

shinji Guest

It's irrelevant. How can something so distant even if so direct, be perceived as being rude. I stare... a lot. I analyze people and for that I must stare. It's silly to assume someone is being rude just because they had the audacity to look into your eyes.

9. Quiet Raven

In most cases I'd say yeah. I get uncomfortable whenever people stare at me. A short glance is fine, of course, but a continuous stare? That is awkward.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends.

If it's judgmental or to focus on an idiosyncrasy, it's rude.

If you are rubbernecking at a traffic or other mishap that resulted in an injury or some type of loss, and you keep staring, then it's downright "asshol-ish."

If you stare and continue to do so when a person is not interested, it's almost brazen and definitely insensitive.

If you stare and continue to do so when a person returns the stare in kind, it's fine.

If you stare at something or someone who doesn't see you staring or for whom it wouldn't matter, such as a Komodo dragon at the zoo, it's fine.

11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yes. Just because I look different doesn't mean I'm a sideshow attraction meant to be gawked at.

However, although I find it rude I don't let it get to me, I get stared at all the time.

12. Joelouis

I hated it most when someone watched me eat.

Though it's easily taken care of if you open your mouth at them so they can see all your chewed up food. Tends to stop any staring in future.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm sorry that's happened to you (*hug*) but yes that was really rude of adults encouraging there kids how absurd. Im sorry some people are just total pricks. And them giving u dirty looks is just distasteful. People are so mean. Im sorry that happened to u (*hug*)

14. MisterTinkles

If you are in a "pick up" bar, staring is part of the game. A game which I have no interest in.

Staring at people anywhere else is rude, shows extremely bad manners, and can be considered harassment.

It is also VERY, VERY, VERY CREEEEPY!!!!

I am a people watcher, but I don't blatantly stare at people, unless they aren't looking at me.

But, one thing people do NOT realize, is that there is a whole world going on BEHIND THEM.

You might think someone is staring at you, but they could be staring at the person next to you, or something going on behind you. If I ever find someone staring in my direction, my first reaction is to turn around to see whats going on. If nothing is going on, then I just ignore them.

I would never be interested in anyone sitting there just staring at me. That just shows SO many levels of bad manners and creepiness.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but it would depend on the reasons why. I have a tendency of staring at other people's fashion. Not in a bad way. I do it if I like it or it catches my eye. If caught in the act, I realize that the person might think me rude for my actions.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2014 at 03:26 AM ----------

I hate that too. I hate it even more when the person also makes comments.

16. Perseus

I feel like staring is fine most of the time, I don't get people laughing or pointing, so I though... well unless I wear something really weird like super tight white jeans XD I dunno, but at my school everyone knows my name and I dunno a lot of people, and I'm like the only out kid so maybe that's why people like to stare? XD