1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it right to defend gay people while still being in the closet?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by KyleD, Mar 20, 2014.

1. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi guys, I am not out to most of my family, friends or relatives. I want to know if it makes sense to speak out in support of being gay when family members, friends and relatives make homophobic remarks?

The thing is that I don't want a situation to come up when they ask me why am I defending gay people and then they might ask me if I'm gay.

Yet still, it bothers me when they make homophobic remarks, what should I do?

Just recently my father said that all gay people should die and it was very upsetting. He is not a bad person but he has just been brainwashed by religion.

Thanks.

2. darklord

In my opinion it is absolutely right! I'm sure many people who aren't LGBT themselves would defend LGBT people when they hear rude and inappropriate remarks like that. It is like if you hear racist comments made against a group of people, you absolutely can defend that group without belonging to it.
    Why? Because that's the right thing to do. Because you are openminded and believe that "other group" to be human beings just like anyone else, and not more deserving of death wishes than any other group. That's just a sign that you're a decent human being!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure it is, if it wasn't we'd all be screwed.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes.
    Whether you're out or not gay straight, bi trans whatever. These are the right of HUMAN BEINGS, simple as that.

5. White Knight

You must speak up for what you think/feel right no matter what is your connection to them.

People know me usually don't bring that subject up around me anymore tho', they know I can be fierce. Just as while I defend animal rights or women rights.

Also a "straight" person speaking for lgbt rights have more effect on bigots. :grin:

6. IsThisAName

It is absolutely okay. I defended gay rights 100% long before I realized that I was bisexual. There are many straight people who support gay rights--they should understand that and not think anything of it!

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just assuming your defence of gay rights resulted in you being questioned about your own sexuality - how would you feel/react? If you are not ready to come out (or come out that way) it might be best to not say anything to invite the question. I know I'm going against the majority opinion in saying this, but taking a stand would probably provoke a situation where you are backed into a corner to defend yourself. Are you ready for that?

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is a very valid point.

9. ZombieEater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    With the things your father is saying, it's very likely no matter what you say his opinion on gay people will never change, so save yourself the trouble I'd say... And like Linco said, if you won't change their minds on gay people anyway, why needlessly invite suspicion?

#9 ZombieEater, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  10. Sasha Braus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I totally feel you, man. My mom and sister are extremely vocal homophobes, and it's really uncomfortable and depressing when they say things like "gay people should just die off". I used to just nervously laugh/ignore them altogether, but recently I've been telling them to knock it off around me. I said that I didn't have to be gay to feel offended and disgusted as a fellow human being, which...is true, and they don't really say homophobic stuff around me as much anymore. Though, now they're more suspicious of me. It's worth it.

11. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thanks everyone for all the responses. Most of you are saying that it is an issue of basic human rights and I definitely agree with that.

Linco, I would be very scared about that. I'd hate to lie but I'd have to because I'm not ready to come out yet.

12. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's perfectly okay. I defend gay people and rights all the time, even though I'm still in the closet to most people. If you feel strongly about it, it doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, bi, trans*, or anything else. You have the right to feel how you want to feel, and that's true no matter who you are. If people start to question you, there are ways to avoid answering truthfully. Sometimes all it takes for someone who's been "brainwashed by religion" to snap out of it is someone who can explain it to them in terms that they can understand/relate to**.

I wish you the best!

**This is definitely not a universal case. There are some people who will not change their views no matter what you say.

13. Destiel

Before I came out I defended the shit out of the community. I hated their remarks and called them out on it and defended who I was, even if they didn't know I was yet. Its totally fine to defend it!

14. Claudette

Claudette Guest

In or out of the closet, or not even owning one... support for anybodies rights is a-ok ^.-

My father was the same way... He was always very vocal in his Hatred towards anybody that wasn't a straight white American... most notably Gays, Transexuals, Black, and Hispanics... Growing up I dated Black women and Latinas... sure he said some intolerant things when they weren't around... but somewhere inside him he was ok with my choice in women...
    When I came out as Transexual to him, he surprised not only me, but everyone else in my family... I will forever hold what he said in a very special place... "I don't agree with what you're doing, nor can I stop you... but you're my child, so the only option I have is to support you as my new daughter"
    since then he has been kinda accepting of anyone who falls under the LGBT banner....
    People are like books with the pages stuck together, You never know what you'll find if you shake their covers ^^

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kyle, I know I'm still going against the majority, but I would avoid saying anything for now. If you are put in a position where you are confronted and then feel you have to lie it may have a very damaging effect on you and push you further into the closet. I don't want that to happen to you and I'm sure no-one else does (even those who disagree with my opinion).

It's not always easy to defend gay rights without arousing suspicion and it can place people like you in an untenable position, I totally get that. I would only be annoyed with you if you agreed with the comments to save face. That would be unacceptable.

Sometimes, silence condemns.

16. White Knight

Sorry Kyle for leading you to confussion.

What I said was about in general. In family situations it might be best to lay low.

Also you don't have to lie if you don't say anything. We have a saying around here, staying silent is accepting. :wink:

Safety first. Wheter it is bedroom or in social occasions. Our life is all about survival.

Hugs.

17. Au.Quicksilver

Defend inconspicuously. Be very subtle. That's hard for some, but people won't suspect it if you start small. It's just defending other people. You have every right to it.

18. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes of course! I don't see anything wrong about that you're just defending them besides it is really not okay to insult or make a stupid remark about LGBT they are still people who have feelings and no one who is in the right mind to judge others just because of their orientations, even if they say they are just expressing their thoughts of how much they don't like it or against it they still don't have the right to judge or say cruel things to them. Regardless of who and whatever we are, LGBT or not people should respect their fellow men. Just like the saying goes "if they don't have anything nice to say just shut up."

19. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The culture where I live is very homophobic so it's seen as "cool' to be anti gay. Also, I know that if I were to get involved I'd be very passionate and I'm usually very level headed so that in itself would raise red flags as to why I'm so defensive about the issue.

Plenilune, the situation with your dad gives me a lot of hope that people can change their bigoted views. :slight_smile:

20. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Why not? You can also defend e.g. black people when not being black:slight_smile:
    I think it's necessary to draw attention on homophobia! Sometimes I hear kids or teens saying that's "gay" insteed of saying something sucks. That sucks!!!!!!