1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to really forgive and forget?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, Oct 19, 2016.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's definitely possible. I don't honestly understand why people insist on holding onto all the bad stuff. I tend to just move on. I'm always seeing threads on here where people are asked to sort of catalog the wrongs they've suffered--what's the most homophobic thing your family said to you, etc. And because I like to participate when I have time I usually sit down and try to come up with something to write. And I really can't think of anything. I mean I've been alive for 46 years. I've been out for more than half of it. I've spent a good portion of it in times and places which were not at all conducive to being gay. I even tried to kill myself my senior year in high school so I know some really negative stuff went down but when I really sit down and try to catalogue it, in all honesty... I forget. Instead I remember all the wonderful experiences and people, all the ways I was loved and supported, comforted and entertained. I guess in a way it's gotten so that I do it without thinking about it. I think people are fundamentally good. Occasionally, but honestly rarely, I am disappointed... and when it happens I just move on.

For me this is exactly why you have to forget. For me the forgetting is the truly powerful part of the forgiving. I think you forgive for other people. People screw up, people change and to be honest I think there is a moral imperative to forgive--for other people. For yourself, you forget--specifically so that you don't get bogged down in all those "precautions". People think those precautions protect them but it seems to me that they just wall them off. I suppose they protect people, but mainly from being open or genuine or vulnerable. I can't imagine filtering every new interaction through such a list of wrongs.

Anyway, I guess that's how I see it...

2. mangotree

Thanks for all of the replies.
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles with it.

I know that forgiving those people (5 or 6 main ones come to mind) would be a great weight off my shoulders. If I could succeed, it would be forgiveness for my sake and not for theirs, because they wouldn't even know about it.
    I can't actually figure out why their opinions and actions mattered at the time, let alone mattering now. Perhaps I was just in the wrong place (near them) at the wrong time (when I was extremely vulnerable).
    And maybe the lesson is to know how NOT to get myself into those situations again.

#22 mangotree, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016