1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is homosexuality a sin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Daveed 7125, Jul 3, 2012.

1. SkyDiver

Many of these same people would condemn Jesus if he were to be alive on Earth today.

2. bob94

3. Deaf Not Blind

It matters to him because he believes in God, and wants to do what is right. He is not a bad person, but we all sin, and he wants to know if it is true that being homosexual is a sin. That is acceptable to ask yes?

I know that the Bible is very valid historical book, you can ask on my wall if you want so we don't get hated on for believing in the Bible. But is it a sin, good question. We may have to ask God for a good big sign.

4. SkyDiver

Matthew 7:18: "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit."

I think the answer is as simple as looking at the fruits of claiming that homosexuality is sinful and the fruits of claiming that it's not.

The former brings humiliation, depression, anxiety, shame, isolation and anger... while the latter brings love, peace, tolerance, acceptance, fulfillment, satisfaction and relationship. :slight_smile:

5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think homosexuality is a sin at all. I'm not personally religious but I know religion is important to many people. Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. He preached love and acceptance. The Bible talks about the sinfulness of mixing fabrics and eating certain foods but most Christians don't believe those actions are sins. The Bible was written many years ago so I believe that people should look at it in the context of its history. Society is always changing and I believe that Jesus would openly accept gay people if he were here today. Jesus did not surround himself with those who judge others. Jesus surrounded himself with the judged, the hurt, the sick. He was clearly not interested in people that were judgmental or greedy. If anyone is sinning... it is those who judge gay people for simply being themselves.

6. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

homosexuality isn't a sin, the hate against gay is caused by taking stuff out of context,

7. No, it is not.

Now, here's how I perceive the whole thing. You talk with your friends and family, and they might say things you don't agree with. Just as if you said something that they don't agree with. But, you still love each other, right?

In that context, I think the Bible should be viewed in that way. There are lots of great things that the Bible teaches such as "love thy neighbour" that we can all agree upon. Now, bear with me because I haven't read the Bible, nor am I religious per se, so I'm not too familiar, but according to Leviticus the stance on homosexuality is supposedly an "abomination" well now, God created us, and gave us our individualism, to think and learn. So, why can't we read that and say "Oh, you know what God, I don't agree at all with that." Kind of an agree to disagree concept. I'm sure that God would like to be challenged on that if that's the case. He's compassionate and loving. I think though people of faith tend to blur the lines and begin to just go by the Bible, and forget to use their own personal morals. Where they refuse to believe anything that they see, that shows them differently from the Bible and "word of God". That homosexuality is in fact just as natural as heterosexuality. I'd like to refuse to believe that anyone doesn't actually have some form of compassion in them, and deep down they know it's perfectly fine when they see a same-sex couple. But, maybe it's just a fear that if they don't serve in the name of the Lord, they'll go to Hell. Which God would not do that at all.

So, in that case. Say homosexuality is a sin, I'm positive that God still loves us though, even though we don't agree with Him. If that makes sense?

I'm sorry if I offended anyone in this post though, that's never my intent. Just expressing how I feel. And I do strongly believe that God loves everyone. I can't really imagine an entity of sorts creating us in a loving and peaceful image and then damning us all to Hell. I just can't fathom any sort of logic of why He would do that.

There's people who aren't even religious who don't agree with it. So, it's not even like it's strictly a religious issue either.

Give it time, it's just like the whole interracial marriage debate back then. And even still some people don't agree with it. Some people just don't believe you should "mix" races. So, there's going to be people who just don't think the same-sex should be together regardless of religion.

All you can really do in this mad world is live your life, show respect and love for one another. Golden Rule: Treat other's how you wish to be treated. And occasionally screaming or crying into a pillow helps as well. :grin:

8. Deaf Not Blind

that is interesting.

i have had all the former...
    i have only had a few of latter...
    will it get better if i come out or should i stay here? that is the big Q.

9. Aldrick

Hey Daveed. :slight_smile:

I don't think you offended anyone, considering this is a common issue that so many LGBT people go through, and is likely a huge source for the high suicide rate among LGBT people.

The videos linked to you should address the verses in question, but I'm going to take another approach.

Let's examine the logic. You believe God is real. You believe God is the creator of the universe, and by extension, is your creator as well. You also believe, likely, that God is a benevolent deity. Am I correct in all these assumptions?

You know you did not choose to be gay, and this is supported by all creditable science not to mention the fact that many animals also display homosexuality.

So, in order to think that you are sinful and are going to hell, you must believe...

1. That God created you, and made you gay.
    2. That God is going to punish you for being gay - as he made you.

If this is true, then how can God be a benevolent deity? And if God is not a benevolent deity, does God therefore deserve your worship? What type of deity would create something only to punish it?

So, it really comes down to whether or not God is benevolent. If God isn't benevolent, then you're screwed no matter what - gay or straight. If God is benevolent, then he wouldn't create gay people only to punish them, and therefore logic concludes that gay people are natural and part of God's plan.

We know being gay isn't a choice, and we know it exists in animals other than humans. It's the equivalent of God showing up and throwing everyone born with naturally blond hair into hell, simply because they were born with naturally blond hair.

10. SkyDiver

Well, it all depends on the attitudes around you. Unless you could come out and force yourself to be happy about it no matter what people think. But that's a huge step. One of the toughest decisions ever, right? I'm debating right now on whether I should tell everyone or not.

11. Deaf Not Blind

no there is also the possibility we did think of it too much, what if it is a choice or an addiction or a bad habit or you were not born to be homosexual but the human flesh just craves things that are not always beneficial. like if you craved drugs, do you really get better by giving into that desire? some of us are easily addicted to anything, how do we HONESTLY know born that way as in it is good or born that way as in inherited trait for being easily swayed into sin. some things can sound rather good but have a root of evil, so i think to fully answer that question we have to ask all the questions not assume it is not possible. after all, to fully come out i must be willing to ask myself am i possibly NOT what the church says is normal and good, so should we not also want to look the other way and be fully assured our answers are valid? i know i do.

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2012 at 03:24 AM ----------

yep, me too.
    i have actually posted the words "come out to" on my fb wall after coming out to a friend who is a catholic priest. yeah he was surprised.
    Forcing is that a good idea??
    ya know, i forced myself for a couple years to accept being a straight female, i think it backfired and made me go deeply into dysphoria and actually forced me to reassess if i was straight or gay or what. i get a bit scared i am forcing myself to come out and maybe i am forcing myself to accept my gender and sexual identity as well? how does one know if it is breaking down an artificial wall or building up a new fake one?
    at least i have found a couple very similar minded christians here who we pm each other and discuss EVERYTHING openly, i do mean every deep secret too. it has given me great hope if it turns out that this need in me to be male and date and my queerness is acceptable to God, then i know i will be able to come fully out, and my new real friends will not hate me. i hate the idea of coming out only later to discover i was doing wrong, or led others wrong...so i hope everyone reading what i say knows i am trying honestly to find the real truth too.
    i have read the Bible, and have a good pastor. But he did say homosexuality is wrong. so i feel i have a real problem here.

12. King

King Guest

We researched this is my philosophy class last year. We discussed how an all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful god could a) cause human pandemics and essentially murder millions, b) let us live a life with no guidance, and c) hate anyone for anything. This is partly why I'm not too sure if I believe in a god or not.

As for the question at hand, I'll say, no. For no reason other then if there is a god, surely he/she is all-loving. And if he/she isn't, then why should I bother trying to follow him/her.

King x

13. Daveed 7125

Daveed 7125 Guest

I'm so sorry for not responding until now. I fell asleep. But I woke up to all of your wonderful comments and I am in tears! Thank you all so much! You guys have no idea how much you've helped. Thank you.

14. Silvails52

I've heard the argument that homosexuality is not a sin, but pursuing homosexual desires is. They said that homosexuality isn't a choice, but as a Christian, one should learn to control those feelings. They also said that premarital sex is sinful, but those feelings are still there. *rolls eyes* There's a HUGE difference.

I've come to believe that God doesn't condemn gays. God is love and loves everyone for who they are. If you're gay, that's a big part of you. He can't deny you for being you.

15. BudderMC

Particularly if he created you as you are (again, assuming homosexuality is something you're "born with").

The church, on the other hand, may feel free to condemn you. But are you more concerned with what they think or what God thinks?

16. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

If it is a sin, then why would god make gay people?

Even though I don't personally think there is a reason for everything (i don't believe in god), if there was one reason god would have for gay people, it could possibly be to try and help the world be more open-minded....

Or just to help the world be more fashionable :eusa_danc

17. IanGallagher

Exactly. Liking the same sex is something we're born with. A lot of us tried being straight and ignoring the same sex attractions. But, we haven't been able to because that's what is natural for us. Meaning liking the same sex is the furthest thing from a choice. Meaning God made people this way. Meaning if God made people this way it can't be a sin.

18. SkyDiver

I occasionally read articles on a very right-wing Christian website. I enjoy some of them, but others just attack homosexuality. So I sent one of the authors an email once, explaining why I think homosexuality is not wrong, and how I didn't choose to be gay, and how there were likely many other young LGBT kids who were reading her articles and feeling ashamed of themselves.

In her reply....

"Think about it, why would God condemn you for something that you can't control????"

So I said... "EXACTLY!!! And I can't control it so......????

The first problem for these people is that they think it's always a choice. It's ridiculous.

19. xramonx

Hum... as an Ex-Jehovah Witnesses, what I can say from the religion views at it is:
    Being gay its not a sin, But the actual act(having sex with same gender) Is a sin! So what it says, as long as you "suppress" and don't act on your "way" you are not going to die at Armaggedon!

Well, for me I really disagree with it, its just not right, they just force you to be someone you are not! So whenever I think about this issue I get mad at God, or even doubt he exists!

I just tried to point out JW views about it, but I really think it's not a sin! And if it is, I rather live a sinful life being who I am without hurting others(including me) than being someone who I am not, and hurting myself and probably hurting others!

20. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I've heard of that point as well... I can't imagine any sort of a god suggesting that you are sinning by ignoring your own sexual pleasures. I can imagine a god caring about being open-minded, good people who don't harm others, but not things like that which harm nobody at all- especially for outsiders who are the ones bashing homosexuality.