1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is He Trans? Or Am I Just Overthinking This?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by BiDragon, Nov 24, 2017.

1. BiDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. I’m a transboy, and my little cousin was hanging out with me today. (He’s only four.) He always plays with my leftover Barbie dolls, and we were telling “secrets” in my room. Just out of curiosity, I asked him that, if he had the chance to become a girl, would he? And he said yes! I know that since he’s so young he might of just answered yes for fun, but I know some people have known they were transgender since they were 3. So, could he be trans? Or am I just overthinking everything?

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a possibility. Best to see if the kid comes out later, though.

BiDragon likes this.
  3. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister refused to play with girls toys and wear anything pink till the age of 10, she is now definitely not trans and loves all things girly, so although it is a very slight possibility i would wait a while.

4. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He may or may not be trans! At this stage that's not that important. At that age life is about exploring the world and having fun.
    If he is trans he'll have a great support and inspiration in you. If he is cis he'll be accepting of people that are different from him, because of you.
    Either way, you'll be there for him, that's the important thing.

BiDragon likes this.
  5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be hard to tell at this age....even though some people do know as young as four, other kids only say they want to be the opposite sex because they like girly/boyish things.

6. Gideon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're reading too much into it, he's four. He probably also wants to be a dinosaur when he grows up, yeah? *Chuckles*
    And who says barbies are for girls and trucks are for boys? We, as a society, attach too many labels...even to the point of dictating that girls are SUPPOSED to like dolls and makeup and all boys must like contact sports and monster trucks. Kids are going to like what they like and people are going to love who they love...

Bicchi and Twist like this.
  7. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think he's too young to understand what being a girl and what being a boy means at this point. If he's not experiencing any distress over his body, I wouldn't worry about it. Girls are more frequently given the freedom to express emotion, wear dresses, paint their nails, have long hair, like pink and purple, have whatever toys they want regardless of whether they're for boys or girls…there are numerous reasons why he might want to be a girl at age 4. Plus, kids at that age are imaginative and want to try everything. Like Gideon said, he probably wants to be a dinosaur too. Even if he did want to be called a girls' name, he could easily grow out of it with time…I used to want to be called Lizzie after Lizzie McGuire when I was around the same age. You're overthinking it.

8. Loves books

When I was his age I didn't get that boys and girls were different. I didn't understand having different bodies and repeatedly asked my mother how do you tell the difference between a boy and girl and could you be wrong about someone's gender. I'm not trans but wanted to be a boy occasionally so I could play with boy toys be on boy sports teams and my best friends were boys.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Could be trans, could be gay, could just be open-minded, like what you like, or any number of things.

10. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, pretty much what everyone else said

11. BiDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone for your replies! Thinking back, I do think I was kind of silly and overthinking everything.