1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he gay?? He's so confusing!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ethann, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ethann

Ethann Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone. This is my first post so I guess I should introduce myself first -- I'm Ethan :slight_smile: I discovered this site years ago when I was still questioning myself and dealing with some other stuff, I just never made an account as I was too afraid to. I'm in a slightly confusing situation now, and this site popped into my mind again! So yeah, I made an account so I can get you guys' (and girls') opinions.

Here it goes..

I have a very good friend who I've known for a couple years now, but only recently we've become a lot closer. I have so much fun with him and I love being around him so much, that I couldn't help developing feelings for him. I tried to stop it, but I just really can't. I love being around him and whenever we're together it's so much fun. He's great. Ok, fine, I'm madly in love with him. Only problem is -- he's supposedly straight. I know what you're all thinking.. gay guy falls in love with straight guy, happens all the time. But the thing is, I haven't fallen in love with a straight guy in a looong time; I've learned not to over the years. But this guy... I can't let go because sometimes he gives signals that tell me he's gay, 100% sure. And then the next day he's completely different! I just don't know what to do with this, he's so confusing!!

A lot of the times when I look at him I meet his eyes (so then I assume he was staring at me?), and then one of two things always happen: either he quickly looks away (like, awkwardly quick), or the opposite happens and he continues to look me straight in the eye, slightly too long to be a normal friendly look. Like two weeks ago we were at a party and he was sitting on the other side of the campfire, facing me. I looked at him and he looked back, he smiled, I smiled back. It didn't feel just friendly.
    I've never seen him with a girlfriend, and he never talks about it either. One time one of our friends brought it up how he should get himself some, and he said "I'm not like that." When we go out with our group of friends he doesn't really dance with girls either, and if he does he's not the one that starts.
    He sends me messages in the middle of the night when he can't sleep, or when something good happens he also texts me right away.
    When we hang out he makes these moves that make me wonder too, like he sometimes randomly touches my leg, or runs his hand through my hair, or comes from behind me and places his cheeck to mine... and he always laughs when he's around me.

At some point I couldn't take it anymore that he was - IMO -giving all kinds of hints, so I just straight out asked him if he could ever have feelings for another guy. He got pretty defensive, though, and said he could never, that he doesn't have a problem with gays at all, but that he's definitely not.

And then that same night we were lying on my bed, both on our backs, next to each other, and I lay my arm on the bed next to my body, but accidentaly touch his hand which was lying there too. I didn't want him to think anything of it (especially because of our conversation), so I pulled away quickly and placed my arm a little closer to my body so it wasn't touching his. And then he moved his hand to the right, back to mine, so they were touching again. I didn't move; it was all him. I couldn't resist, obviously, so I tried interlocking my fingers with his (I was so done with being unsure!), and he let me! We just lay there for like ten minutes playing with each other's fingers. Then all of a sudden he said he had to go and acted like nothing had happened and left.

Next day I tried doing something similar when we were on the beach, but he pulled away immediately. I said "what's wrong?" And he said "I told you I'm not gay." I said "ok, but what about last night?" He said "what about it?" Me: "I think you know what I mean." He: "If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then you've got it all wrong. Sorry I might have given you the wrong impression."

I just don't get it anymore!! Am I really this blind?? My friends all say I'm crazy too, that I'm fishing but there's nothing there :confused: But if I'm pretty sure someone is straight I'm not the kind of person that goes and convice himself it's different than what it is -- I'm over that. But this guy is driving me insane! What the hell am I supposed to think of this?
    Is he really straight and am I completely overanalyzing things? But there's just so many things that tell me he's not :bang: I don't know anymore. This is tearing me apart from the inside! :frowning2: I want him!

#1 Ethann, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. Pain

Pain Guest

Hi! Glad you made your way here! :slight_smile:
    That is TOO confusing. You certainly aren't crazy or blind, because, with what I read, I would be thinking the exact same thing!
    The eye-contact thing has happened all too often with me-- and every time, as far as I know, the guy was either gay or people suspected about him. Those light touches too, seem like a tell IMO. And the hand thing-- that is really suspicious, and honestly doesn't make a lot of sense to me because he is adamant in saying he's straight! He obviously didn't know what the "wrong impression" was if he really is straight!
    How does he act around others? If it mirrors how he is around you, it might just be who he is. But, if not, it's something special about you to him. Maybe he's in denial, whether actions play into it or not, though.
    Well, try to keep a level head throughout this. Your world shouldn't come crashing down around you over this tease. WHICH REMINDS ME-- it's pretty rude of him to kinda lead you on like that, then just see you hurt over it! Have you told him how you feel about it?
    Good luck, at the least!

3. Brenny

Does he KNOW you are gay? I think the best thing (if you really want the truth) is just to outright tell him you like him and ask him if he likes you too.

At the same time, I had a close friend who was sort of similar but not nearly as much as this guy. My friend would sit super close to me, put his hand on my knee, touch my arm, lay next to me, etc. But he never HELD my hand. Why? Because he is straight. Absolutely straight. In fact he was obsessed with my sister and he has a gf now. I don't think he acts that way with his other guy friends. I suppose he knew I wasn't judgmental or too macho to touch another guy. I personally think he just gets real attached to people emotionally. Touching an other person can be a way to express it. What we take as romantic or sexual isn't always how they think.

That being said, I'm pretty sure straight guys aren't typically that way. If a guy was doing to me what your friend did to you (holding hands, resting his chin on you, etc) I would seriously question his straightness. It seems like your friend is either very confused or in denial or both. These feelings take a long time to sort through. If you need to know, just be straightforward with him. But I would be careful not to push it. If he isn't ready to discuss it, leave it be. I think that if he really likes you romantically, just stay friends and be there for him. If that is what it is, it will bloom in its own time.

4. SkyDiver

No wonder you're frustrated! Wow, he DOES sound confusing!

Sounds to me like he is gay.. but he's just not totally comfortable with it yet and may even be in denial. You're the reason he pops out of his heterosexual shell every once in a while.

But - here's the million dollar question.

Does he know that you're gay?

#4 SkyDiver, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  5. Lad123

This is so hawt...

Yeah I think he is in denial, what kind of straight guy would interlock their fingers with another guy while laying in bed together! Its also pretty cruel of him to lead you on like that, but yeah he just needs time to deal with his major denial syndrome.

Please keep us updated on your story ^^

6. FJ Cruiser

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but it totally sounds like there's something there. Let things happen without trying to label him. You have to be very careful though because you might let yourself get even closer, just for him to back out because of denial issues, leaving you with major heartache.

7. Cloudbreaker

It sounds like if your friend is gay (which he might not be) then he probably hasn't even come out to himself yet. And if he hasn't come out to himself, then he definitely isn't going to come out to you. This time last year, if I had been in the same situation as your friend, I probably would have acted in much the same way. The human mind is capable of many powerful and scary things, like convincing a gay guy he is straight despite him knowing for more than ten years that he found guys attractive (as in my case... somehow :eusa_doh: ). Or, alternatively, it is capable of convincing someone that their straight friend is probably gay, even if he isn't. In the end all you can really do is accept what he tells you about himself as fact until revealed to be different. And if he ever asks you for advice or guidance, be willing to help.

8. Valyrian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or maybe he just "loves" you in a brotherly way and he's comfortable around you.

Yeah, i know, claiming "straight" but interlocking figners with someone doesnt look THAT straight but still.i have a friend just like that..for example:

He's touching my hand, even tries to interlock his figners with mine, he's also resting his chin on my shoulder, laying his head on my chest when im playing on the computer (and all that at my work! (internet-cafe) and i also saw he had a hard-on after that although he might had that earlier..dunno!

He's also kissing me frequently (on the cheek ofcourse!) likes to hug me and he wants me to kiss him back most of the times and stuff like that, also touching my butt and..u know what else but not that much anymore. He also gave me his fb password (wtf?) saying that someone had to know it incase somethings happens (lol!)

Then again, he's acting homophobic, and when he sees a homosexual scene on a movie he's like "ew...thats DISGUSTING" and moves his eyes away from the monitor..or "being gay is probably the worst thing that could happen to you" and other shit like that...

Thing is, i have a crush on him. Like, a MAJOR one for like 2+ years. But overanalyzing things and overthinking it over the past years made me grow tired of it. And despite the fact that i want him SO much...i just can't keep doing this to myself. Crying myself to sleep, being heavily depressed, having an uncontrolled hatred towards everyone i like/love...i just can't take this anymore so i'm just trying to ignore him as much as possible.

I thought of telling him im gay and then that i liked him many, many times but i was just too afraid of his reaction, so i didn't. Guess i'm a coward!

P.S: He's friendly towards everyone else too but with me it's different, i can tell it is. He's WAY too friendly with me. oh well!

So my advice to you is, tell him you are gay when you feel like it and see his response and act upon that afterwards or just don't say anything and keep torturing yourself.

9. Brenny

Apparently there are way more homoerotic straight relationships in the world than I thought. Geez.

10. Lad123

I know right :roflmao:

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely think he's just scared and doesn't know how his feelings are. Dealt with something like that in high school, not really easy. You have to either just let what happens happen, tell him you're gay and maybe it'll help him, or break off ties. I'd say one of the first two is best.

12. nooneknows

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh my I know exactly how u feel Ethann. I've been there... except my best friend kissed me several times and when I told her about how I felt she said she was straight and it meant nothing. The thing is ... like u... I never initiated it ... when we were drinking she always came up to me and asked me to kiss her. Your story reminds me exactly of what I am going through it's insane and crazy similar. I hope for u it's just because he's to afraid to come out : ] It sucks being in this position.

13. SkyDiver

No kidding! :lol:

14. Ethann

Ethann Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, thanks everyone for your great responses!

I'm so glad that most of you think he at least seems gay. I was beginning to think I was going crazy!

Yes, he knows I'm gay. I told him about two months ago. We'd already grown a lot closer and it felt like the right thing to do (I already had a massive crush on him then). In the months before I told him he was a little too friendly already, but the touching and obvious eye contact really only started after I told him.

I realize I could be completely wrong and he can be totally straight, as some of you pointed out. I just wish if that were the case, after he told me he wouldn't make all those "gay" moves!
    And no, he doesn't act the same way around others. Pretty much just me.

But I guess regardless of what he is, at least the majority seems to think the best idea is to tell him how I feel? I think that might me I good idea, I thought about it already too. And he's totally accepting of gays, so I guess it can do no harm... I just hope it won't change our friendship, whether he's secretly gay or not.

#14 Ethann, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  15. TheAMan

I wasn't sure at first but I think he's defintitely gay. I mean he held hands with you in the bed for crying out loud. No straight guy does that. I think that he's just confused and in denial about what he really wants and he hasn't come to terms with it as quickly as you have. Maybe you should consider telling him that you're gay.

16. Brenny

He is gay. Or Bi. Straight guys definitely DON'T hold hands like that and IN bed! If you aren't gay, that would seriously make any straight guy uncomfortable. There is no other real explanation. The real question is, does he like you? And I think all those moves is him exploring that question.

17. FuryOfFirestorm

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like he's gay, but isn't ready to deal with it or admit it to himself. Tell him you'll be there if he wants to talk about anything and let him come out when he's ready. Don't force the issue and don't add to his confusion/frustration by flirting or touching him in a non-platonic manner.

18. Ethann

Ethann Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok so I talked to him yesterday and said his mixed signals have really confused me the last couple of weeks; flirting and touching me one second, telling me he's straight the next, and this pattern basically repeating itself over and over again. But then I also told him that from now on I wouldn't ask about it anymore, because I kindof like it and don't want it to change. And lastly, I said if there ever was anything he'd want to talk about, I'd be there for him.

I was afraid I might have said too much, so I was pretty nervous when we had this conversation, but his reaction totally took me by surprise, because I was expecting a defensive "what the fuck are you talking about?"

He very calmly said "Thanks..., for everything", with a bit of a sad look, and then gave me a hug. And then we just watched a movie sitting on the couch, no weirdness. (us sitting pretty close together, though, without either of us feeling uncomfortable, I think)
    This really feels like a step in the right direction :slight_smile: At least it's the best reaction I've had to sortof bringing up the subject.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm SO glad to hear it went well! I think he may eventually come out or could wind up identifying as straight after all or even just bi. Perhaps he may still just flirt but it's good you won't ask. Like I said earlier, sometimes the best thing to do is just to let whatever happen, happen. Perhaps you'll wind up together, perhaps you won't, as long as u stay friends.

20. Pain

Pain Guest

Great! It went really well then! That kind of reaction is the best thing you could look for. It doesn't necessarily make him known if he is gay, but letting him know he can trust you might just be a very important step in a furthered friendship, or his coming-to-terms.