1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is gay pda common thing where you live?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ringu20, Oct 3, 2016.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know that I would say it is "common" but it definitely isn't unusual. I would say for the most part the average gay couple is not more reluctant to be publically affectionate than the average straight couple here. Actually, it seems like the average gay couple is more physically affectionate than the average straight couple in general, so per capita gay pda may be more common than straight pda. In my immediate neighborhood they definitely are.

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, you did say you lived in a "gayborhood", so that might skew the statistics a bit :wink:

3. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It has become more common here since the SCOTUS legalized homosexual marriages. Which is funny, because in Brazil our Supreme Court did the same in 2011. I guess we have to thank Facebook and that pride campaign for the changes.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, technically I don't live in a city, more so a large rural village in the middle of nowhere. A place surrounded by lakes, hills, trees, and lots of long twisted bumpy country roads. It pretty much comes to a halt if it snows here- even just a bit, and the independent shops in the area close and open at weird times.

Hmm...I'd say the closest city from here would be Sheffield. I've been there a few times. I've lived here for about a year now, but I'd say I have more experience with Warrington since I've lived there pretty much all my life, whereas I've only lived where I do now for a year. The closest cities to Warrington I'd say would be Liverpool and Manchester.

TL : DR- near Sheffield.

#24 Canterpiece, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I post this I'm currently in GA/USA. Everyone who isn't as straight as a ruler tends to be buried deep in the closet. Can't even hold hands without fear.

When I get home though, I can draw all the cute couples I want though! And wish I were in one after...

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, forgot to answer the second question there. Er, admittedly I've never thought about it. I mean, I've never even kissed anyone before so I think PDA is the least of my concerns in my life right now.

7. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my tiny little town its not common but I did see what appeared to be A female couple kissing outside Subway.

side note
    I went to LA/West Hollywood in may and it was super cool to see so many gay people holding hands or whatever, a big difference from my little mountain town.

8. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my current city (which I am not disclosing), no, it's too small so there aren't really a lot of gay people around at all. I would - and have - shown PDA though and lots of it as I am an affectionate person, I also really could not care less if someone doesn't like it. But as far as I know no one has ever had a problem with it, nor have I ever actually expected anyone to react negatively to it. I mean, shouldn't it be heartwarming to see two people in love, not infuriating? What kind of a world is it if people can't stand to see people kiss, but have no problem seeing or hearing about hundreds of innocent people dying every day on TV (or even support it)? That is way backwards if you ask me! :frowning2:

9. BookWriter1994

Not pda, but I would sometimes see couples walking around at the mall or sometimes shopping at the store that I work at but I never see them holding hands or kissing cuz I do live in GA.

10. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do I see gay PDA? Not really. But I also don't really see much PDA in general. I think if people are openly gay though here, and they want to show PDA, they would do so without fear. Sorry, but I won't give my city because Hawaii is almost all towns, and I won't reveal mine out of privacy concerns.

Do I show PDA? No, not really. Oh and I wouldn't call holding hands necessary a form of PDA. I've never been in a real relationship but If I was, I would only hold hands or give someone a kiss. I don't see the appeal in making out in public.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I've never seen it. Regardless of gender, I see some straight PDA, but never two guys or two girls.

I wouldn't show PDA in public, but that has less to do with sexuality and more to do with my private nature. I am not very affectionate around others and I don't kiss and tell. It's just the nature of my character.

I also dislike seeing PDA in general, even from straight people. Hand holding and quick pecks are fine, but I don't need to see people making out.

12. DangerAlex

It's not super common where I live (Northern Virginia about an hour outside of DC), but there are a lot of progressive, "artsy" communities around here so you do see it on occasion. In fact, the town in which I attended undergrad was extremely liberal. However, on the whole, I don't see a lot of same-sex intimacy in public. But I'm freely intimate with my boyfriend; if I want to show intimacy, I'm going to show it no matter what people think.

At the same time, I'm respectful of it. I won't do anything that I wouldn't want to see straight couples do; this means it's pretty much hugs, hand-holding, arm around the waist, kisses on the cheek or light pecks on the lips, that sort of thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with public displays of affection. As long as the couple isn't obnoxious about it, it's not like they're forcing other people to watch. Anyone who has a problem with it can just ignore it.

13. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all where I live. Outside of the gay scene I've only ever seen two guys holding hands in my life. It's more common to see two girls holding hands but it's not uncommon for two straight female friends to do that so it isn't an obvious gay thing.

This is an issue that really upsets me because it's one that I don't see any change in anytime soon. It all comes back to that horrible word tolerance. We are supposed to feel grateful that we live in a world that is more tolerant but the true goal is acceptance. The fact that so many gay people are aware they are being tolerated and should be grateful to the greater society creates this awkward feeling that PDA's may offend others or attract the wrong attention.

Put simply when we hold hands in public, we fear that we may be pushing our luck.

That isn't acceptance, it isn't being equal, it's being a second class citizen. I can't wait till the day that this isn't an issue for anyone on earth but I don't see it coming any time soon.

14. ringu20

So, did you hold hands in public many times before?

15. ForLove

ForLove Guest

No, actually no Gay PDA exists at all where I live. If there is any couples no PDA whatsoever. Though I never seen a couple irl who is LG..

16. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. It would be likely that they'd risk violence or at least harassment. However, in a neighboring college town I was visiting with a friend, while waiting in line at a taco shop, a man in front of us kissed his boyfriend, and nobody seemed to think anything of it. I was newly out at the time and I pulled my friend towards me, whispering excitedly, "Did you see that? They kissed and nobody threw rocks or anything!"

17. gaydebater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    not very common at all - almost frowned upon.
    Arlington, Texas