1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is fidelity a myth?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by shyguyww, Apr 1, 2018.

1. shyguyww

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been in two relationships and have been cheated on both. I have never done so myself. I don’t believe in cheating. Is fidelity a myth between gay men? Somebody out there that is faithful? I just want to know if someone thinks like me or I’m the only one who does...

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been with my husband for 20 years but before that I dated a lot (had a really good time of it). To my knowledge I was never cheated on--on the other hand I was always very open and honest about what expectations I had and didn't have. I don't think fidelity is a myth--I don't even think it's that rare.

PatrickUK and Chiroptera like this.
  3. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never been in a relationship myself, however I don't see myself cheating on my partner, it's a terrible feeling.

4. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry you have been cheated on.

Once worked with a gay man who is happily together for over 10 years and legally married for 4. I don't think fidelity is a myth. it's just finding the right person that wants the same things as you. They are out there.

Also, if you can, if you meet someone and they have been in a previous relationship, ask how it ended. If they cheated before, they'll most likely do it again. I'd avoid those relationships.

Kyrielles likes this.
  5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely not. If a man (gay or not) has a functioning moral compass he will not cheat - it really is that simple.

Also agree with OGS that you need to be honest about expectations and make it very clear that you will not tolerate cheating under any circumstances. It's an absolute red line for me and every man I've ever dated has known it from the outset. Been with my husband 14 years, but none of my past relationships ended because of cheating.

The idea that gay men can't be faithful is entirely linked in to the idea that we are all sex obsessed and promiscuous. It's a complete myth!

Chiroptera likes this.