1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "cute" a good compliment for guys?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jude95, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Nyanko

I call guys cute all the time, and they seem to like/not mind it. I feel if I told them they were hot (or some other word), it'd be awkward for them and for me - I think they'd think I'm looking for a boyfriend or checking him out in a sexual way which isn't the case, and guys around me always seem to think that way when a girl calls him hot. Even though they (cute, hot) mean the same thing, they aren't received the same way...if that makes sense.

Also: When I say cute, I take into account personality as well, it's not always looks, and I'm sure when someone says, "you're cute," that's what they mean as well.

2. Jonathan

Exactly what they said ^
    To me, "cute" and "hot" are two completely separate categories. They're both compliments based on appearance, but they represent two completely different things.

3. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Baha, this comment made me laugh! :roflmao:

But yes, for me personally I've gotten both sides of being called cute or handsome so I'm not too sure there is such a huge difference in the individual but rather in the eyes of the beholder (the one giving the compliments). I definitely believe one person can find you cute, while another would find you hot.

4. TheAMan

I see nothing wrong with being called cute. I like it actually.

5. yidnah87

I find the term very flattering and use it for men and women alike.

6. GayJay

Urgh.. i hate it.
    Girls always call me cute, drives me mad. But i think that because i feel it relates to femininity, don't know why that's probs me just being paranoid.
    But most of my friends don't respect women and just see them as a sex object, so when i'm different girls are like awh that's cute. It's annoying though.

7. PinkFluff

I never use the word hot. Cute, I find, is a good compliment.

8. Xochipilli

I think so. Who doesn't want to cuddle a cute guy? :icon_wink

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  10. Gen

Gen

I disagree.

The three most common terms of attraction these days would be Cute, Hot, and Sexy. In the past, cute was mainly only used to describe children and animals. Essentially, platonically. However, in some areas many still find it objectifying to refer to a women as sexy or hot in her presences. Which is why cute has been used as a common replacement for women.

Cute implies physical admiration, while hot and sexy usually implies the containment of attractive properties.

Similar to how children often hate to be refered to as cute by their parents as they get older. Its not because it implies femininty rather, they associate it with being considered a baby, or childish. I think the annoyance of men and the term 'cute' is really just a another matter of fearing anything that challenges their maturity and manliness. "Cute" is hardly feminine, but neither is the majority of other things avioded for the preservation of masculinity...

11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think "cute" is a great compliment for anyone. "Good-looking" is kind of boring and rigid. "Handsome" sounds a bit antiquated and formal...maybe something that is used to describe older men. Like you probably wouldn't call a good looking 40 year old man "cute," but "handsome" would be better suited. Bottom line, "cute" means you're attractive, so I'd definitely take that as a nice compliment!

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It all depends on whether the 40 year old man, had a baby face & was young looking for his age :slight_smile:

13. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, maybe haha. Even for some 40+ years old actors who are good looking, I would hesitate to describe them as "cute." I'd be more inclined to think "handsome." But hey, to each his own! :icon_wink You can call it whatever you like.

14. Akatosh

I have a hard time telling someone they're 'hot' because it does seem over the top, and I also don't want to make it seem like 1) I'm putting them on a pedestal 2) an awkward 'I don't know how to respond' situation. Now, if they were my sig. other, I wouldn't have a problem feeding any kind of genuine compliment as such.

15. Luke Matt

I've only ever been called cute (rarely "Hot" or anything like that) (also, I mean this in a non-narcissistic way).

I guess it's just the word most girls use..?

16. Phil

Phil Guest

When people say "cute" means that they find you attractive (in general).
    In my case, I rarely say "cute", but when i say it's cause the person is my type of person (the type that i would marry).
    I say "handsome" when i find someone good looking, but not necessarily would date or something like that.

17. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've gotten used to being called cute over the years. The thing that really grinds my gears is being called young or people presuming that I am young based on my appearance. Take for example last weekend. I went to a house party and this gal is chatting to my friend and me when we get onto the topic of my friends age. She correctly guesses his (27) but then looks at me and goes for 19/20 purely on the fact that I decided to have a clean shave that day. "I'm 26 for crying out loud bitch'" :lol: needless to say I was less than generous when she asked if she looked her age (28). Later on my friend and I agreed that she was definately worse for wear... *titter* :lol:

18. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I usually use it as 'good looking, but not the hottest around'
    Kinda like a secondary 'hot'

19. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I think "cute" carries more of a classy term, while when I think of "hot", I imagine a promiscuous person, maybe somebody with chiseled features while cute would be linked to an individual with rounder, more 'childlike' characteristics. Innocence.

With that said, most people would describe me as cute or ugly, hahaha. I don't know where to go about that. I don't mind the compliment, though. I'd much rather be called adorable than hot, because I know I'm not "hot" and don't want to be linked with the typical phenotypes a hot person would typically have.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd love to be called cute.