1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Iowa's GOp battle versus Food stamps takes a new turn

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ushiromiya Red, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Article:https://kcci.com/article/iowans-speak-bill-limit-snap-benefits-house-subcommittee-hearing/42680686

╞══════════╡
    - Brief Summary-
    ╞══════════╡
    The proposed food stamp bill received a subcommittee hearing as many Iowans voiced their concerns about how it would affect them if passed.
    Monthly requirements were proposed for those who receive public assistance...such requirements would include monthly checks into where they live, how much assets they have, where they work, and how much they make. This could propose a problem if a family or working couple is on food stamps and they're required to work 20 hours a week but they're only allowed one car and if families have two cares, under this new bill they could possibly loose access to their food stamps.

Rep. Anne Meyer said that she wants to make sure that Iowans tax dollars are being "spent wisely". And wants to make sure they those who need snap benefits are getting them with a very strong caviot.

╞══════════╡
    -My Thoughts -
    ╞══════════╡
    My previous points still stand...this bill is a load of garbage that does nothing to help nobody! The GOP wants to make sure that lower income and disabled Iowans suffer. They seem to think that imposing limits or restrictions is going to "encourage" people to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and "stop being poor." I'm sorry it doesn't work that way!

The whole idea of the SNAp/Food stamp program is to ensure that people and families have access to nutritional food and just access to food in general. With rising food prices due to inflation and these proposed restrictions, this new bill will help nobody! The GOP doesn't give a damn about actually saving tax dollars...they want people to suffer. The cruelty is the point with them. And it's very unfortunate they're going through with this draconian bullshit!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Young Turks coverage of the Iowa GOP versus Food stamps...you know you done effed up, Iowa GOP if the Young Turks is covering your bs....

3. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: In the subcommittee it was decided that the provision requiring that snap benefits could not buy fresh meats, cheeses, chilli beans, etc was dropped. However if passed, it would prevent Iowans on snap benefits being able to buy things like candy or soda. I still personally think this is some bassackwards bullshit.

4. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the sort of compromise I can accept, as long as applicants can get higher-quality sustanenance, esp fresh food. What I don't like is details like this being used as a kind of trojan horse for a crusade to axe assistance across the board.

The devil is always in the details, right ? Make families jump through hoops that don't reflect the reality of many working class families, who are hovering on the border between homelessness and hand-to-mouth paychecks.