1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News "Iowa GOP's Plan to Limit SNAP Benefits Slammed as 'dehumanizing"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ushiromiya Red, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "This proposal is so dehumanizing. My sister is disabled from severe MS and gets SNAP help. For Christmas she asked for a bag of chocolate covered almonds - she’d been craving a treat but they weren’t allowed. Give people dignity!" - Jamie Castle of Ohio

.・*:。≻───── ⋆⋆ ─────.•*:。

◤──────────◥

Brief Summary

◣──────────◢

The Iowa GOP has proposed a bill that would severely limit what people are able to purchase with their SNAP Benefits (aka food stamps). House File 3 as proposed by Pat Grassley claims this "bill" would save Iowa time, resources and money. However, many are in opposition to this bill, calling it dehumanizing and backwards. If this bill were to be enacted into law, people could no longer purchase fresh meats, canned fruits and vegetables, prepared frozen foods, flour, spices, cheese, cooking oil, etc.

They're also looking at limiting/changing the requirements to make it harder to sign up for food stamps as well. So that's great. *Sarcasm*

Article: https://www.foxla.com/news/proposed...m-buying-meat-white-bread-and-american-cheese

.・*:。≻───── ⋆⋆ ─────.•*:。

◤──────────◥

My Two Cents

◣──────────◢

As a resident of this "great state" of Iowa...I apologize that my government is bassackwards as all hell. I am very obviously against this bill! I cannot believe that such draconian legislation is being proposed.

If enacted, this bill will do a lot of damage to already struggling Iowan families. This is yet another attempt by the GOp to punish the poor working class and disabled. Many who are also on SSI also are on snap too to help make ends meet. This bill will do nothing but make it harder for families to put food on the table.
    [​IMG]
    When I found out that the Iowan GOp was proposing this bassackwards garbage, I nearly flipped over a table I was so freaking angry. These kind of policies piss me off because they are cruel, inhumane, and downright disgusting! But of course, the cruelty is the point with these types of bills.

2. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also here's a video that also talks about the above subject a bit more in depth as well...

3. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People wonder why the wealthiest nation in the world has increasingly dire levels of hunger and poverty,
    while financial assets continue to amass among households that are already obscenely rich.

This is classic Republican policy - ensure that women have children even though they're not prepared to raise them (by banning abortion access) - but at the same time, ensure that these struggling people can't feed themselves.

#3 Incoming, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is true bc we are all just workers for them, pay as little as possible so we're just getting by while the owners keep hoarding away all they can. It's like some sick game of who has the most and who paid their workers the least they laugh about on their enormous yachts swilling champagne. They say, "let them eat cake!"

5. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you both for your replies, I appreciate it. ^^
    It really is a disgusting sick game the GOP wants to play with the working class Americans as the collateral damage. Simply put, they don't give a flying f*ck about how much harm they're doing by proposing these bills. I honestly couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Classic republican strategies where the cruelty is the point. They want to take away access to healthcare, make it damn near impossible for women and afab people to get abortions (especially if something happens where they're put in a vulnerable and compromising position). Now they want to restrict what foods they can buy for their families so they can have healthy and functional diets for their families and themselves. It's so disgusting but these are the games they play.

I pray to the Gods this bill does not come to pass. It's absolutely disgusting, draconian, and so bassackwards it isn't funny. not to mention unbelievably cruel when a lot of families are barely able to afford food as it is because of inflated and outrageous prices. But they're prolife right? Haha not really.