1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible and Overlooked: LGBT Seniors

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wander, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/159509?GT1=43002

The article describes the growing neglect received by gay seniors, and the various healthcare issues they face.

As usual, the comments section is a goldmine of ignorance and hate.

2. Amy

Amy

its ridiculous how lgbt senoirs are being treated. i cant even form a proper sentene right now. thats how much the comments pissed me off.

comments:

"...homosexuality/lesbianism..."
    :roflmao:

"a gay cannot be a true christian"
    sorry ma'am. not so true. christianity is about love and forgiveness.
    <rant>
    it is based on what was taught by christ(jesus). jesus never said ANYTHING about homosexuality. he taught love and acceptance for all people. john 3:16, the most basic of christian verses, says that christ was sent for all. 1 john says that all that is needed for salvation is to believe that jesus is lord and to confess that you have sinned. not attending a traditional christian curch every sunday, not being straight, not being round-nosed, nothing but belief and confession.
    </rant>

i have so much more to say, but i dont think martin would allow it.

im too pissed off to read more of the comments right now.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here are some of the comments highlights, for people who can't view them:

I think the saddest part is realizing that the pro-gay posts are all typed with proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization, while the anti-gay posts are horribly spelled and loaded with grammatical mistakes.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    There have been some nursing homes popping up specifically for GLBT folks. That is a positive thing!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is good that senior/nursing homes are being opened up for elderly members of the GLBT community but at the same time I think it would be good if the same care could be provided in the existing nursing homes. For me it comes once again down to equality. It should never matter what ones sexual orientation is. Given the knowledge that GLBT seniors face unique challenges, I think existing nursing/senior homes should have people on staff that can help them.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's true Asteroid but the socialization would be so much more fun with other glbt people folks. It would be like Pride everyday. :slight_smile: Also, most elderly glbt folks do not have children to visit them so I think it would be more beneficial for them to be with other glbt people.

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Surely some of those comments you quoted have been typed in jest? Because they are just unbelievable. Surely someone was taking the piss.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of the members is giving off hints of being a troll by the way he types, but the rest are pretty serious.

9. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

The Newsweek article itself saddens me, but some of the comments make me angry-- how do you think they would feel living in a reversed world where LGBTQ people were the majority and straights were the minority? They need to stop using their religion as an excuse to be ignorant homophobes and realize they are in the wrong.

(Wow, I just looked back and noticed how angry I sounded... I tend to get sort of worked up about these things. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:slight_smile: