1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intimate Medical Exam Fetish - How to Accept/Be Okay With Pleasure

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by railfan, Mar 8, 2021.

1. railfan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone!

I've known for several years that I have a fetish involving intimate medical exams (e.g., penile and testicular exams, rectal/prostate exams), and it definitely presents a problem when I'm getting an annual physical or just need to have something checked out. I get very anxious about experiencing pleasure (and possibly showing it) during something that is intended to be clinical and not at all sexual.

In November, I was diagnosed with epididymitis (which, for anyone who does not know, is an inflammation of the tube that carries sperm from the testicles) and after two courses of antibiotics I am still having some pain, particularly any time I am intensely aroused, and it's interfering with my sex life. After an insurance change and much confusion (and bad customer service, frankly) on the part of doctor's offices and other institutions, I'm finally able to see a urologist about a month from now.

This urology visit really needs to happen -- I am so tired of being in pain and feeling there is nothing I can do to stop it. But, I'm also anxious about the certainty that I will need a genital exam, and the strong possibility that I will need a rectal/prostate exam. Even thinking about either is very arousing, and I'm embarrassed to show that arousal. It's not because I think the state of being aroused is bad on a physiological level, it's that I feel that my arousal has the potential to demonstrate that I am feeling (or anticipating) pleasure from these interactions. I cannot identify why, but something about that feels wrong to me. I have an unidentified ethical issue with being turned on by these exams (even though I suspect that doctors have seen it before and, more to the point, really don't care).

For reference, I have at times leaked pre-cum during genital exams and, during my first rectal exam a few years ago (the most "sexual" thing I ever did up to that point), I was surprised if not frightened by the sheer amount of pleasure I experienced, and vocalized several sharp shouts as the doctor pressed on my prostate.

I also want to put out there that the gender of the doctor doesn't seem to matter much. It has to do with the act of being examined, not with who is doing it.

In short, I'm just looking for advice on how to become okay with the fact that I may experience pleasure (and physically demonstrate it) during these encounters. I know rationally that there is nothing wrong with it (I'm not harming anyone, and I don't think anything I do will get in the doctor's way), but it still feels "bad" or "wrong" to me.

Thanks in advance.

Railfan

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is not that unusual to be physically aroused in a situation where you do not wish to be, here is a ted talk addressing that which I hope might help.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/emily_nagoski_the_truth_about_unwanted_arousal#t-412983

The other thing is that doctors see a lot and it should not cause a problem for them. Then go ahead and keep telling yourself what you have said you already know. There is nothing wrong with it. To me "evil" and "wrong" should be reserved for deliberately doing harm to someone, which you certainly are not doing.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I concur with QuietPeace. Urologists deal with this on a daily basis. They know most of it is outside conscious control. Clients involuntarily ejaculate (without any stimulation) during examinations on occasion. it isn't that uncommon. So basically, when we're confronted with a situation where we can't control what happens, the best we can do is simply let go of expectations and self-judgment and just let what happens happens.

#3 Chip, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  4. railfan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I totally understand that there's a purely physiological aspect to this and it happens to lots of people, but nonetheless I feel that it's more complicated for me; it feels more like a fetish. There's definitely an element of enjoyment and excitement in regards to these sorts of exams. I'd like to accept my reactions for whatever they are, but I just don't know how to get past my shame/feelings of immorality/whatever you'd like to call it.

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you are unable to get over the shame on your own then you should probably see a therapist about it. Also here is another Ted Talk this one about shame https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame

Even if it is a fetish, this is something that causes no harm to anyone else so there is nothing wrong with it. You should simply accept it and maybe even explore it.

Lyman likes this.
  6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To put things in perspective... even if this is a fetish, it is not one you can really indulge in. You are only being called for a intimate examination to explore a genuine medical issue. You will never be invited for an intimate medical examination 'for kicks' so there really is no moral or ethical compromise. From the Urologists perspective this is a medical examination that has to take place and they will be well used to involuntary sexual responses... it may even be significant to their diagnosis.

If you feel able to, I would just explain what happened last time you had an intimate examination. I am sure they will understand and think nothing of it. You don't have to say anything about it being a fetish because this isn't happening to satisfy any thoughts or ideas like that. The closest you will ever get to that is in sexual role play. There is a clinical basis to what they are doing and that's as far as it goes. Take it for what it is.

7. railfan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My apologies to all of you if I'm not communicating very clearly. I definitely don't expect anything sexual or inappropriate to happen, and won't be trying to make it happen. In fact, I'm very uncomfortable with the possibility that something (an erection, a verbal reaction I may have, etc.) might inadvertently make my pleasure/fetish apparent, and that's really the source of my problem. Ideally, I would like to just go with the flow, let whatever happens happen, and not worry about it, but I find myself very self-conscious about this and very anxious about how these exams will go. Medical play is indeed something my partner engages in with me, but of late I've been wary of having many orgasms for fear of causing myself pain and suffering.

I want to accept it, explore it (outside of the clinical setting), etc., but the acceptance piece in particular is not something that's easy for me. I am in therapy, but I see a cisgender woman and somehow I don't feel she is able to relate much.

8. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A good therapist can address all issues, even if they have not experienced anything like what you are going through. They cannot help though if you are not open about the issues. If you feel that you cannot be open about things with your therapist then you need to find one that you can be open with.

Lyman likes this.