1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internalized transphobia / LGBT therapists

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Em1l, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Em1l

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, my name's Emil, i've been having some problems with my gender lately. I'm a trans male/non-binary person (idk wich one yet), I've been masculine my whole life and never had a problem with it but for some reason since i discovered that im not a woman i started getting really anxious when i thought about cutting my hair or putting on male clothes, is it internalized transphobia? I also feel like I'm going to lose myself if I transition. I would go to a LGBTQ+ therapist to talk anout this but i'm afraid i can't find one in my small town, wich leads me to other question, is there a way to start therapy online?

Thank you for reading.

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome!

I'm not sure how things work outside of the US, but online therapy is actually pretty common here, and becoming more so. I would definitely do a little research and see what you can access! Therapy is a really good idea if you're considering gender transition, not because anyone else has any say about your gender, but because even the most self-assured and confident trans people need support along the way.

It sounds like this is a fairly recent discovery for you. If you're comfortable, please tell us more about it. There's no one narrative with this kind of thing, and all of us, cis and trans, are always discovering more about ourselves.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Emil.....Congratulations for realizing and accepting your sexuality even though it can sometimes be difficulty. :old_smile: Your idea of talking to a therapist is a very good one and I do think that you should carry through with it. There are definitely therapists that you can talk to online rather than face-to-face. Ever since the Covid Pandemic started I have been talking to my therapist online every week. It's not as personal as being in his office and seeing him face-to-face, but it's sure a lot better than not being able to see him at all! :old_oops: I'm sure that if you do an internet search for therapists who will do on line therapy that you'll find quite a few. Please be sure, however, to read the description of their practice to find out if they list working with the LGBTQIA+ Community as part of their practice. A therapist need not be queer to be helpful to our community, but it can sometimes be really helpful if they are. My therapist is gay and it helps a lot for me to know that he has gone through so many of the same things that I have struggled with! :old_wink: So jump on your computer and find a good therapist and don't forget to keep us updated on how this works out! You are a part of our LGBTQIA+ Family and we do care!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#3 quebec, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021