1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internalized Homophobia, Feelings of Alienation and Inferiority

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Asner, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Asner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sad to say I'm in 30s and I still haven't really gotten to the whole "accepting myself" part of coming out yet, and lately, heteronormativity in general has kinda been wearing me down.

I've accepted I'm gay, and that if I'm going to have a satisfying relationship, it'll only be with another man, and I'm fine with that. But even so, part of me feels like I'm wrong. Not necessarily in a moral sense, but more like in a biological or functional sense. I feel like being gay is a defect; that the point of sexual attraction is to promote reproduction, so being sexually attracted to someone of the same gender defeats the purpose and effectively makes me a dud. And the fact that this only manifests in such a small percentage of the population makes me feel like I'm really unlucky or a waste. I feel almost like I was denied or cheated something at birth that everyone else gets by default, and since I don't have it, I'm not quite as human because of it, and kind of like I'm being punished for it as well.

I go out and I see straight couples, and I feel excluded. It's just so frustrating that it's something they take for granted. Like it's perfectly natural for men to want women and vice-versa, when the fact is, I can't even fathom what that's like. I can't understand that, or their connections to one another, and I feel like that makes me something other. Something less. I often wonder if that connection is more natural than same-sex connection. If straight couples can form deeper and more meaningful connections with each other than I ever could with another man. (If maybe heterosexual sex isn't more pleasurable, too.)

It's been weighing on my mind a lot lately. I have trouble watching television or even listening to music because whenever heteronormative relationships/sex/romance are brought up or referred to, I'm reminded of that thing that I'm not, and I kind of shut down emotionally. I see ads of straight couples buying houses or shopping together, or raising children and over and over again all I see is a humanity that I can't relate to and I just feel denied. And it's not like I need to look out there, either, I can just look around me. My friends and family members are all settling down, buying houses, getting married, starting families, car-seats, mini-vans, the works.

And here I am and I can't even find a fucking date. I have trouble even finding men in my area, let alone men I'm compatible with. And all this does is reinforce the whole marginalized feeling. It feels like straight people have so much more available to them and they don't even realize it because they didn't draw the short straw--and it's so damn frustrating because it's what I have to deal with! There are no take-backs or undoing it!

Ugh.

I feel like I'm going to be lonely forever. And like, even if I do find someone I can be happy with, part of me will always wonder if it isn't really second-rate because it isn't "natural". And let me be clear: I'm aware of how offensive all this shit is, and of how I'm making judgements on other gay people the world over just by saying these things; and trust me: being aware of it makes me feel even worse. Like I'm a whiner and a traitor. And I'm sorry.

TL;DR: I guess the point is, how do I stop feeling this way? How do I stop mourning my lost heterosexuality? How do I start feeling like I'm human? I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my chin up and I could some advice.

Please and thanks.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

I don't have any advice as such, but just wanted to focus on this:

Have a read through some of the threads in the Later in Life section and you'll see how unfulfilling and miserable a heterosexual relationship would be for you. Speaking as somebody who's in one, it's really not a happy place to be.

Have you considered talking all this through with a LGBT therapist?

Richard321 likes this.
  3. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still kind of mourning my heterosexuality too.
    But: never doubt you're human. Of course, you're human. We're all human.
    And as a bisexual woman I really don't think straight couples can form deeper and more meaningful connections with each other than same-sex couples. We're not less, we're different from the majority regarding our sexual orientation which is only a part of our identity. One thing you can try to do is to find things to talk about that you have in common with other people (like for example same favourite music, movies, pets etc.) to feel less alienation.. I'm not a therapist and I probably could use one myself but that's what I try to do to.

Richard321 likes this.
  4. Asner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I don't have any desire for a heterosexual relationship; neither of us would be satisfied. I was basically saying that while I *do* accept that I'm gay, I'm kind of having trouble getting over it. Also, I have started seeing a therapist recently, but it's for a variety of reasons, so I was looking for some immediate advice or a stopgap measure of some kind until we progress that far.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

Richard321 likes this.
  5. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, Asner, I suppose that any of us that dones't take part in the ongoing "heteronormal" child-rearing will not get that "warm acceptance" from the "heteronormal" majority. But, hey, look at the mess that the "heteronormal" majority has made of this world. There are far too many people living at the moment because of "heteronormalcy". We don't need to add to the already massive human population to feel OK or good about ourselves. You could start by seeing the negative things that "heteronormalcy" has given this world and continues to give us. And by us not reproducing in an already over-popilated world, we are actually being useful.

6. eMei

You didn't 'lose' your heterosexuality because you never had it in the first place. You were born a homosexual male: it's in your blood. The only version of you that could ever have existed is the homosexual one. To say that homosexuality isn't 'natural' is completely wrong, and you know this. You are naturally attracted to other men; it is not an artificial attraction. I can't really give you anymore advice than this rhetoric, really. But stop mourning something you never had in the first place. You haven't been robbed of anything, but been blessed with the distinctive trait of homosexuality, which opens up so many doors of wokeness thanks to your experiences as a minority. Embrace the different.