1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Interesting read - One Mental Health Expert Wants To Remind Mormons That Bishops Are Not Therapists

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Apr 25, 2018.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So sad how religious leaders, some with, frankly, misogynistic ideals and world views, are treated as actual psychiatrists/therapists. I'm not religious so I may be biased here, but so many religions are way too old to be considered relevant like...seriously, the Bible refers to women like slaves or cattle. That's a red flag to me that this document probably isn't super relevant or updated

3. Loves books

I would rather avoid religious leaders. I really don't think talking to a priest would help me achieve anything but intense anger. they believe prayer solves everything. I was raised Catholic but there are many things I hate about my religion. I always had a problem with the whole faith thing. I didn't get why women weren't worth as much as men, why it was th father, son and Holy Spirit and not the mother and daughter. When I got older I thought Mary got a raw deal with a pregnancy she didn't choose without the fun of sex only to give birth in a shed to a boy a king wanted dead. I also felt annoyed that a preist felt the right to say all gay people are going to hell. I don't think a guy who's celibate has a right to tell anyone who to sleep with. I also don't see why they give pre marriage counselling. What do they know about marriage.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What women aren't cattle? (bad joke)

Seriously I consider the three desert religions and all their variants to be nothing more than cults. Large cults.

5. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly? The thought has crossed my mind more than a few times.

I love the people who genuinely extrapolate the good messages of the Bible (which is more work than it should be imo) but, (and I don't the other desert religions you're referring to so I'll just use the one I was raised with) the way Christianity is set up is kind of shady to me.

Like, if you question the validity of it, which people are bound to do, the way the religion is set up, there's ALWAYS some "un-disprovable" explanation. For instance, someone can always say "God works in mysterious ways, you can't prove he doesn't exist", really

6. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Bible is a fantastic basic, simple template on how one can lead one's life. But then people use it as a base to perpetrate their hate. Example the persecution of gay people. The amazing thing to me is, people do not realize thats what they are doing - they are so wrapped up in themselves, being right and Christianity. Using a good baseline document (the Bible) to advance their agenda.

I study Buddhism. I've learned to be very broad when thinking about just about everything. Example. When one thinks about the ocean. Well per Buddhist way of thinking, it's not just the ocean. It's the ocean, the moisture in produces which eventually makes rain, which waters crops, one and on.

I live in the desert Southwest of Arizona. I've learned from studying Native American religion to be broad in ones thinking, mainly the earth. Very much like Buddhism.

Christianity is at the opposite end of the broad spectrum. It's very narrow in thinking. Example: to be saved you must accept Jesus Christ as your savior. Really? What about all the other religions and what they believe? They are all wrong and your are right. Really?

7. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly. That's awesome that you study Buddhism, I've been a practitioner for a while now, and much prefer it over how I was raised. Less focus on punishment and hellfire and more focus on inner-peace and confidence; finding solace in one's self as opposed to invisible outside forces.

This is another thing that bothers me, Christians use stuff like this to perpetuate close-mindedness.

#7 18breanna, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  8. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christians are very closed minded. This behavior is one of their primary detractors.

A mini story since I live in Arizona, a state with a large population of Native People. (short version) When Spanish missionaries first encountered Navajo people the missionaries labeled the people religiousless - the Navajo did not have the concept of one god. So the Spanish missionaries went to work, converting the heavens to Christianity. We've got to save the Navajo, oh I mean enslave them to build missions.

In actuality Navajo religion is so complex that closed minded Spanish missionaries had no clue to what was going on. It wasn't until a religious scholar came along, lived with the Navajo, studied their ways did full understanding occur. Generally Navajo religion teaches that everything has religious significance. A river. Mountains. The earth. Seeds. Etc. The religion is very broad not narrow.

9. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A gentle correction: Some Christians are very close minded. Some are very open minded (I count myself as one of them). Equally, some priests and pastors are very closed minded and pious, but some are very open minded and tolerant. Depends more on the church than it does the religion.

On the broader point, I agree with the article. If you need therapy, consult a therapist.

10. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    True, sorry to generalise. What I meant was, it's too easy sometimes for people to take obviously outdated scripture and use them in present for homophobia, sexism, etc.

To be honest, that's not just Christianity, there have been arguments over religion as long as there have been religions. It's very sad, but true.