1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing anxiety - not making any transition progress

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cody18, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t know if this thread is worth making or whether perhaps I should just post in the vent thread where in all likelihood it would never be read. However, I think that posting this separately may lead to conversation and thus reassurance... who knows, one can only hope.

I am not yet on T, unfortunately even though I thought I would have been several months ago (having to get bloods redone + clinic falling behind by it seems over 2 months worth of work = no T for presumably at least the next 3+ weeks when I have been waiting for a long time already prior to this). I am not coping particularly well with the wait in all honesty, at all.

Also, my old worries are beginning to resurface as I’m becoming increasingly worried and stressed about the possibility of never making any progress, I feel unable to move forward and basically, completely trapped, fun.

For example, what if when I get on T my voice doesn’t drop and it remains within the female range? I’m absolutely terrified of this. What if my face doesn’t become more masculine? What if I cannot grow and facial hair/body hair/adams apple etc. What if I can’t get top surgery within my planned time period as T is delayed (I’m going private for both T + top surgery as I have saved enough money to do so). Basically what if the progress I need doesn’t happen? I can’t cope with my dysphoria staying how it currently is, what do I do? Is there anything I can do? My anxiety is just getting worse about this every day, I can’t stay like this, but I’m also indefinitely having to wait to progress. Any advice on how to cope with this? I feel like I’ve been coping forever and I’ve pretty much used all of my “coping capacity” up.

Also, I apologise for my rambling post, hopefully it makes some sense to others though.

2. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry your treatment has been delayed. I know that feeling. Waiting sucks.

I think in most cases of going on T, not seeing any effects would be rare. That is the reason, after all, that doctors have to prescribe T - because there are effects on the body. The time frame for the effects, however, differs based on the person. I am quite sure you will see your desired results, they just may take awhile. Even if they don't, for some reason, appear, there are always alternatives; voice training, for example.

So what to do about the wait? I don't know if I can give you a good answer to this, but I'll try my best. Ultimately it comes down to how you perceive the situation. Maybe you cannot control your dysphoria, but you can try and distract yourself from it. Don't consider the larger gravity of the situation, take it step by step, day by day. You don't start thinking about the weekend on Monday. That will make the rest of your week seem longer and more treacherous. Similarly, you shouldn't dwell on the fact that your therapy/surgery keeps getting pushed back, but remind yourself that it is going to happen, albeit a little later than you had hoped.