1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increases in families rejecting their gay kids

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This article is from 2014, but if anything, the statistics are probably worse now. How someone can claim to hold the values of tolerance and nonjudgment that religions teach... and then behave this way is just appalling.

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because people are stupid and parents somehow don't really care about their children, only the social image of them and if the see you as imperfect from a social respectability standpoint and reflecting negatively on their social image they will abuse and disown you.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How can feminism claim to be about equality for men and women, but then want to take away men's rights and harm men? Because they take the best bit and sell it to you, everything else is the "disclaimer" that no one bothers to read. So you buy into it and then realise it's not all what it seems. Of course, there are some people who take the best bit and leave it at that, use religion to help people, use feminism as a platform for promoting their want of equality of men and women. They believe that that's all there is to it, claim that the haters ''aren't real theists/feminists'' - but that's what the haters are saying about them. Really it's just the way one uses their ideology, all under the same name, with different motives. That's why there's different branches.

#3 Secrets5, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is unfortunate because you have people who tends to believe that this is something that has or should have gotten better to embraced as opposed to what had transpired years ago. I for one knows that this is something I still deals with in regards to being accepted within my immediate family and I came out 17 years ago when I was 20. Even more so is that after all of these years I am still recognized among immediate family members as a stranger and spoken upon as a third party...not a sibling by practically all of them except one.

5. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It boggles my mind as to how these "parents" can treat their children like this. I'm forever grateful that I have parents that love me unconditionally and are not religious people. Money is probably still #1 but I think religion comes in as #2 for the root of all evil.

6. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that my parents love me unconditionally, but talking to them about my gender identity still feels like a really daunting task. I can't deny that incidents like these contribute to my fears. For that reason, I am building my support group as much as I possibly can before I try to come out to my parents. Either way, it feels like the most logical strategy for me to follow so I can better manage what comes after.

7. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I read another article written by a parent of a transgender child, and their journey as parents with that particular child. What struck me, and why i am mentioning it, was how the child told their mother thank you and how it affected the mother - she believed that when the child said thank you, the child may very well have been thanking her for letting them live, as the child had been talking about death and dying a lot prior to coming out as trans. I think the same goes here...i might only have my dad atm who is okay with my sexuality but i am forever grateful to have such a great dad who can go that far, loving his kid no matter what. Because in accepting me he really did let me live. It is my opinion that anyone who rejects their child for their orientation or identity never truly loved their child, they merely loved the image of their child, because real love is unconditional.

#7 AlexJames, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  8. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Funny, because when one talks about family including adoption and families of choice one usually comes to the conclusion that family is defined by being there for someone unconditionally.

9. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same here, even when you know it will be fine, there's always that worry. Not to mention there's always the scary thought that even if everyone close to you is totally accepting, there are people who won't be. It's scary to think people can reject you for something so basic and unchangeable.

10. I don't think this is from an increasing number of homophobic parents since the U.S has become far more tolerant than a few years ago. I'm sure this is because we're not going to keep quiet anymore.