1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase of LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hawk, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if it's just the industry I'm in, but has anyone else noticed there's a lot more LGBT people?

I just heard that less than half of the first years in my program are LGBT (2 are trans, and a handful of them are bi or gay), whereas in my year, myself and one other person is bi. I don't know if it's just the theatre industry that attracts LGBT people or if there's an actual influx of LGBT people.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Theater has always had a ton of LGBT people, especially gay men.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even if the percentage of LGBT people remains fixed, the fact that the population is increasing means the number of LGBT there are also increases.

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just not used to knowing THIS many LGBT people. Back in my hometown, I knew maybe 3-4 gay/lesbians, so now that I'm in the city, I know a whole lot more and it just seems kinda weird. I didn't think there would be this many in a smaller group.

5. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I would say that a lot it has to do with the industry you're in. Like Chip said, theatre attracts LGBT people. I worked backstage in a lot of productions before I moved, and that's where I met more people from our community than anywhere else. I remember working a show where 7 out of the 8 male characters were openly gay. Having grown up in a small towns, theatre was really my first time being around a sizeable group of LGBT individuals.

6. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that it is related to the fact that society is more accepting nowadays. As a result, the number of LGBT+ people who are out has increased.

Also, people in cities tend to be more open-minded. This also helps LGBT+ people to be more comfortable to be out.

Additionally, as other users said, your industry may be another factor to consider.

7. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if there is an increase in LGBT people, but I think we are becoming bolder and more open about our sexuality and gender identity, and that's a positive thing. In the past people would remain closeted for years, fearing reprisals or reputational damage, but that's not the case anymore. People are more determined to live life on their terms, rather than out of a desire to conform and the world is shifting in our direction. Long may it continue.

8. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's partly due to the theatre industry, and partly because ppl are becoming more and more comfortable about their sexuality.

9. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it sounds stereotypical but there have always been certain industries that attract LGBT individuals.
    You will find a lot of gay men and bisexual women in theater, hair salons, cosmetology, and floral/garden outlets.
    Lesbians seem to favor industrial work and service industry jobs and the old cliche of play softball if you want to find a girlfriend is more truth than rumor.
    LGBT continue to work in every other field out there and will always do so but the ones I listed and in my experience anyway, have always had the most folks who simply do their jobs and don't care if anyone knows their sexuality.

10. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would also say it's just because it is the theater industry. I spent four years doing backstage theater work in middle/high school and nearly all of the male actors were gay or extremely feminine.

I don't understand it though... why do those particular things like theater, fashion etc. attract such a disproportionately large amount of LGBT people? It's really weird.

I heard a theory once that because they pretended to be straight most of their lives it made them good at pretending to be other people so they fit in well with acting and changing how things appear to others, which is fashion. No idea if that has any merit though.

#10 Niagara, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  11. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was younger in school I wanted to be involved in theatre, but because I was so deep in the closet and I obviously knew the stereotype, I avoided ever trying it.

Off topic I know, this thread just made me think of that.

12. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Although I think the theater attracts more gay people, for whatever reason, it is also the most accepting place, thus more people are comfortable being out. Count yourself lucky, my profession is not a place to be out and I don’t know a single gay person. I came here so I could find support. I must say, this is my favorite place on earth right now because people are so open and supportive. Members have given me the strength to accept myself and I am hopefully going to be brave enough to meet someone soon!!!

13. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a lot of it is increased visibility.