1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In The Midst Of An Identity Chrisis

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MoonKid, Mar 30, 2021.

1. MoonKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Who am I??? These past couple of years has got me askimg myself that over and over yet a i never give myself an answer.

I currently identify myself as a female but i just dont know.. i thought maybe cutting my hair shorter than normal would help, maybe it was just my physical appearance??

It did not help in anyways and i'm still just as confused as i was asking myself "who am I" the first time, was wondering if anyone relates :/

2. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With hair, I can relate. Only my story is the opposite, I always wanted long hair, but my parents wouldn’t allow it. Well they would, if I kept it neat and tidy, which I did, until it got to the “awkward stage” of a years growth. That’s when it would get lopped off.
    As for the “who am I” I was there as well. I almost always identified with the female characters in books, movies and video games. Rarely, if ever did I “connect” with male characters. My own father tried to get me into the Hardy Boys books, I just couldn’t wrap my head around why though.
    At least until recently.
    You see, I had my first egg moments super young and he tried to squeeze it out of me. Primarily by not letting me have long hair, secondly by forcing me to go to Boy Scouts, which I also hated. I just couldn’t put into words “I’m not a boy, I don’t belong.” I went, for years I went. Even attaining the rank of Eagle Scout.
    But yes, I’ve been there. I even did Drag before accepting myself, which it did help. I say this:
    Cut your hair, if you like it, keep it short, if not, let it grow out again.
    That’s the beauty of hair, it’s always growing. You’re not a doll, it will grow back.

Experiment with your look, if you don’t like it, there’s nothing and no one saying you can’t go back. Take that risk, take that leap.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What is it that you are feeling that makes you wonder if you are really female? Short or long hair does not have to mean that you are not female. As a teen it is really common to wonder "who am I" so this is not really unusual.

4. MoonKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so happy you went through the same thing with wanting your long hair. Unlike you I relate more with male characters in shows and books, but a part of me was sort of always "a proud female" in that sort of way..? I think it was my mum who drilled that femine pride into me as she is a sort of femanist herself, anyways what i' trying to ask is what would happen if i cut my hair, and keep in touch with that sort of male culture, if you get what i'm saying.? I really appreciate you telling your story and i love where you said how i' m not a doll, it grows back. Makes me feel safe in a way :slight_smile:

5. MoonKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I said in another reply its that sort of Pride to be a woman that makes me shy away from touching in with a masculine side // So its really my parents talking when i say if i cut my hair it'll be a sort fo symbol of being male.. if you get what i'm saying. So i want to chop it off to see if thats really me, sorry if i'm not making much sense, i'm just confused atm :sweat_smile:

Comrade likes this.
  6. Comrade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    be yourself girl! I am a boy with really long hair, do I give a fuck? No.

MoonKid likes this.
  7. MoonKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just worried if I do chop it and may lean towards the thought of being male, it won't sit well with the parents :confounded:

8. Comrade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do you live with them?

9. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I spent far too much of my life living for other people. If people actually care about you they will celebrate you being your true self. If they need you to pretend that you are someone who you are not then they do not actually care about you.

MoonKid and Comrade like this.
  10. MoonKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yup

11. Comrade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just needed the info, Maybe you should picture yourself as a boy for a day to see if you are comfterble being a boy.
    Hope it goes well :slight_smile:

12. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

Sometimes you don’t have to be a girl or a boy....just be you!

I’m 51 and still get very confused over my correct gender. I used to get very upset trying to figure it all out and regularly asked the question “who am I?” I identify as non binary now because I literally could never figure it all out.

I am me..... that’s the best answer I could come up with :slight_smile:

Comrade likes this.