1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the closet trip to the Big (gay) Apple?!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mochii, Oct 6, 2015.

1. mochii

So I am in the closet. I met a girl from Hong Kong on a blogging site over a year ago and we message frequently (just friends) and she is the only person in the world who knows about my questioning and being pretty sure that I am gay. She is gay as well. I live in Mass and she is attending school abroad in NYC for a whole year.

SOoo, we thought it would be cool for me to visit for a weekend and we can have a whole gay weekend together, exploring the gay areas and going to gay bars, etc. I'm not concerned with safety, and the host mother she is staying with is gay-friendly and told her she can have friends stay over. But the thing is, I wouldn't be able to tell anyone where I am going for the weekend, I won't mention it to family because I live across state anyways, and I would have to tell my roommates I'm going home or somewhere else, especially since they've been dying to go to nyc this year.

I am absolutely nervous to venture by myself and be out for the first time to total strangers, but I thought this would be a healthy opportunity for me to explore myself. If I miss the chance, I'm not sure when the next one will come. So I was wondering what you guys think of the idea? Has anyone else taken a trip like this or gone out into the gay world while they were still in the closet? I would like to hear any feedback:slight_smile:

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you trust her entirely you should take a shot. Besides, a little change can't hurt.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it sounds like an awesome trip. At home, I'm entirely in the closet but over the summer my girlfriend and I went to a concert out of town and, for a while, I didn't have to hide. My experience was on a smaller scale but it was a pretty amazing feeling.

I do think you should at least tell someone where you're going, just to be on the safe side.