1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In love with religious friend HELP :(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Wizerdkid, May 21, 2018.

1. Wizerdkid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I have this friend that is very religious, he is a christian. We are both guys, but I’ve never considered myself gay, bi, straight or anything.

The thing is that I’ve never really have had or gotten any feelings for anyone, but this friend have really lit up something inside me. And it has gotten way out of hand, so really hopes someone would read through all this and give me some advice or thoughts to ease this pain.

Well, we started being friends a few years ago, and I never thought of myself being gay, or him being my type at all. He is kind of fat, and very averange, so there was no reason to fall for him. But we got really close (as friends) very fast. We were together almost everyday or held contact by texting each other. Our friendship got kind of intense to the point were I kind of got addicted to him, always needing to have him around. At this time I started to notice that he had gotten very comfortable around me, always finding excuses to touch me or invade my personal space, and I let him. He would also defend me and compliment me for the silliest things and become almost protective to me, and of course did I like this attention.

Of course he got too comfortable around me, to the point were he would start to touch or feel me up in inappropriate ways, and still I didn’t stop him. This resulting in him breaking our friendship and him ghosting me for a very long time, for over 2 years.

At this point I did not have feelings for him, or at least not aware that I did have feeling for him. The struggle started when we begun talking again and slowly started to build up our friendship again after 2 years of absence. He didn’t want to talk about why he had ghosted me for such a long time, only saying it was personal and too hard for him to talk about. He also told me that he didn’t want to get too close friends again, but not why.

Well I don’t know if the reason for him not wanting to be close friends again was because he was afraid of the way we got too close and «sexual» around each other the last time, but we didn’t manage to keep our friendship at a minimum.

Our friendship was kind of awkward and distant in the start, but after a few months we become just as close friends as we were before, even thought he have said he didn’t want that.

My problem now is that I am much more aware of both his and my actions when we are around each other, and I can’t help to not notice that there is something between us that’s not usual between two male friends.

If I end up sitting too close to him, leaning my knee on his he won’t move away. I’ve also ended up footsie with him.

He have also started again to find excuses to touch me. He would either block the way for me so I have to push or move him to get past him. He also have made several excuses to fiddle with my belly. He have touched my face several times, excuses by that he won’t to check how my beard feels.

He would also let me lock eyes with him, and not breaking contact, this does not happen very often, but I’ve notice that when we do this that his pupils dilates alot.

The last thing is more normal, but still. He seems to enjoy teasing me, or mocking me, not in a mean way, but in a humorous way, smiling at me to try to make me laugh. He can use silly voices, and either talk to me like I was a child or act like he is a child.
    We have our moments were we both can act and behave very childish around each other. And he seems to always either laugh at my jokes or try to make me laugh.

So here is my problem, after we got friends again we become kind of intense again, and I am now sure that I’ve somewhere down the line have faller very hard for him.

I don’t know if I consider myself gay or bi, all I know is that I love this guy in every single way. He has his flaws, and he still can act hot and cold with me at times, like he is afraid of our friendship getting out of control.
    And I do not blame him, since I am afraid as well to fuck up our great friendship a second time.

I am closed gay, and am too afraid to admit I am gay or like him, because I know he is very religious and I am afraid of scaring him away and lose him a second time.

We have both been raised in families were we have grown up to learn that homosexuality is wrong and sinful, and this makes it much harder to come out, and I think that he is my only reason to come out if I ever do. I am afraid too of coming out, if I am gay, because of family, but I knew I would have burn every bridges to be with him, but afraid that he won’t do the same. So I am kind of a struggle, were I wonder if he is gay too, and if he are; is he afraid of coming out because of his faith, or because he do not know what I would do or feel if he did come out.

It feels hopeless at times, because I think he feel that there is something too between us. But he is too afraid or scared to do something about it.... What should I do?

I am so tired of this, I can’t get my mind off him. And the way we are around each other makes it even harder to live with :frowning2:

Sometimes I wonder how everything would have been if we weren’t raised to believe that homosexuality were wrong :frowning2:

2. Maddox232003

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well... Religions always get in the way right? I am not here to change your religions or anything either but i am an atheist. I mean come on... There are like millions of religion all over the world. And how does all those gods fit in the sky eh? And there are places much higher than skies too, space etc... But anyway. Let's get to your problem. I can't say for sure if he is gay or bi either with his actions... Since he is religious. Maybe he is just joking around but let's hope is not that. I think he IS gay tho. Or there is a chance that he is confuse too or curious. Since none of you decided to take the lead, maybe you have to. Invite him out to some sort of place maybe like a walk at the park or go to a coffee shops. Start with some casual topics and asking if he is good or not and later started to get serious. I know comming out takes a lot of courage but you have to tell you are gay to him at that point. And than conversation and etc etc. But still I know is still your choice whether you really want him or not. If you do want him, you will HAVE to spill the truth to him. And next about future and families? So it sounds like you are fine with burning bridges with your family but you are worried that he won't do the same. So here is a thing... Don't worry about the future life too much. Unless if you are a teen or university age currently. Don't burn the bridge until you can be like self-sufficient. And don't come out either to the parents yet. And as a couple, this is what love and relationship is about. You both will face the future TOGETHER. And STEP by STEP.

kkou likes this.
  3. Wizerdkid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My problem is that there is no point for me to come out as anything unless I get him with me...

Maddox232003 likes this.
  4. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @Wizerdkid !
    Sounds tough! To me, it sounds like your friend has feelings for you, whether he'll admit it or not. Coming out and coming to terms with one's own sexuality can be hard no matter what. With religion in the way, it may be even harder for you two.
    As both a lesbian and a Christian, I'm living proof that the two can work together, but it's true that the two don't often go hand-in-hand. Religion can be a pillar and a great form of support, but people's manipulated views on it can also be obstacles.
    If you're having trouble with the two, here's how I like to think of it: God loves everyone, even sinners and criminals, so there's no reason that he wouldn't love us as well. Jesus tells us to love our neighbors, and loving someone of the same sex shouldn't be seen any differently than loving people of the opposite sex. The Bible was written by man, not by a divinity, so it has its flaws. It's really up to the readers to decide how to interpret it.
    Like @Maddox232003 said, you may want to take it slow. After what happened last time, coming to quick conclusions or taking sudden moves could really affect your friendship (or relationship.) His suggestions are great. If things don't go as well as you hoped, if you've been taking it slow, the worst-case scenario is that you don't become anything more than friends. I agree with Maddox: step by step is the way to go!
    Good look, @Wizerdkid ! I wish you two all the best.
    :yellow_heart::yellow_heart:

Maddox232003 likes this.
  5. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try and spend some more time with him and see how it goes. You could go to a café, go see a movie together, etc. Over time, you'll be able to tell if he really has feelings for you of if your bond is just friendly.
    Unless you really want to come out to him (for relief, maybe), if the bond is just friendly, there's no reason to come out.
    Going slow isn't always fun, but more often than not... slow and steady wins the race! :turtle::turtle:

#5 kkou, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Maddox232003 likes this.
  6. Maddox232003

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Either Slow and Steady or "Step by Step, Ferociously"

7. Wizerdkid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well the bibel says that love conquers all, so for me I don’t see anything wrong with loving him more than just a friend.

But my problem is that I do not look at myself as gay, because he is the only one I am and have been in love with. So I only feel I give myself more problems for no reasons if I come out and burn bridges if he won’t come out too. There is no point in for me in coming out if he won’t....

We already spent much time, almost every weekend. And we have gotten more intense in the last months.

I would have feel uncomfortable if anyone else had acted the way he do around me. Only reason I let it happen is because I like him and want him to be like that too me. And as far as I’ve notice he does not act like this with others, or at least not that intense...

I have to take it slow. He is a complicated guy, because he have told me he didn’t like being too close, even though he show and do the completely oppsite. So I feel he give very mixed signals like when you’re in denial....

I remember he was quiet an homophobic when we were friends before, but he havn’t showed any signs of having this hatred towards gays after we got friends again, so no idea were he stands right now, not sure if he know for himself for that matter....

8. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you've been doing great, then!
    I'm glad you think that way about that Bible passage too. I agree.

If he's the only guy you've had feelings for, you might not 'be gay,' per se. Finding a label is difficult. There's nothing wrong with being gay if that's how you identify. Whatever labels you choose should be the ones you feel comfortable with. (If you don't want a label, that's great too!) It's possible you might be gay, or bisexual. If you really think he's the only guy you'll ever have feelings for, you may be straight with an 'exception.' Gender and sexuality are rather fluid, so it's also fine (and completely normal) if your thoughts on your sexuality change over time. Just remember: no matter what, your thoughts and feelings are real and important.

You clearly have strong feelings for him. If it seems like he may have those feelings back, go for it! Sometimes we want to keep our crushes to ourselves, and sometimes it's better for us to let our feelings out. Do what's true to you.

In your case, this could be especially intimidating because of his negative views on homosexuality in the past. It's a good sign that he hasn't shown hatred towards the LGBT+ community since then. Sometimes, when we're scared or panicked, we say things that we regret. I wouldn't think so much about it- it sounds like he was just scared to admit it. If he's flirting with you and being affectionate towards you specifically (more than other guys), it's likely that 1) he's gay (or bisexual, pan, etc.) and 2) he likes you. If he's showing signs, then odds are he doesn't hate the LGBT+ community.

Good luck! Hope this helps. :yellow_heart:

#8 kkou, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. Maddox232003

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well... I read bible's view on homosexuality a bit. If i am not mistaken. Is pretty confusing actually. They said they aren't promoting hatred. But they kind of are. I mean... I am just done with religion. For your case... Well. What @kkou said was right. he could be sth like gay or pan or sth. And per your reply. So what you mean is you come out and he doesn't. Which you are comming out to the family. Well that's why we said, go talk to him and stuff. And if he has some insecurity or worries. Maybe like don't want to upset/hurt his parents. Than find a way to work around that problem. Everything has at least ONE solution.

10. Wizerdkid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, well I might be gay, or bi, but I know for sure I am not straight, because then I wouldn’t have so strong feeling for him.

I think it started with his personality and his affection towards me, I just felt safe and relaxed around him, I could just be me. And now I know it has developed to something more, now I have this lust towards him. This is kind of embarrassing to say, but the way we comfortable around each other and the ways he tried to touch me or get close to me give me a hard time (even thought I like it). Because I really have to be carefull around him to not get aroused

I think some part of me always have had feeling for him, but that I didn’t understand it back then. But what bugs me is, after all those years, over 2 years with him ghosting me I would have thought the temakonferanse and feelings between us would have disappeared, but they havn’t. I am still love him more than ever.

And some part of me believe he might avoided me for all those years to kill the feelings between us, but that obviously didn’t work.

And I feel so lost, because if he isn’t gay r bi, why did he want to get back in in this friendship.....

11. Wizerdkid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I ever will come out it will be to him. But I am afraid because our friendship got pretty broken last time because we got too close.

And even thought it hurt to keep my feelings to myself it would hurt even more to lose him as a friend again.

Maddox232003 likes this.
  12. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry you're feeling so lost! It's hard to get around things like these on your own.
    I hope things between you two work out. If you think about it, while those two years were sad without your friend, they helped you learn more about yourself. Good luck, @Wizerdkid ! If you ever need a spark of confidence, I'll be cheering for you on the bleachers. :yellow_heart:

13. Wizerdkid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hihi, thanks :slight_smile:

Well I wish I could just let go of it, but I find that hard because of the way he treat me.

And as a christian I’ve many times asked for why we become friends again if the feelings between us were wrong. So I kind of think God had a reason to bring him back into my life, and to be honest I don’t think I every will find anyone else I would be with for the rest of my life without it being or feeling wrong.

I might be happy with somebody else, but then again it will still feel wrong because of him. Love is hard to describe, but if I had to describe it to someone I would have describe my friendship with this guy.

You can never be 100% sure, but I am very close to believe that this could have been something more by now if it weren’t for our religion.

kkou likes this.
  14. Maddox232003

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay so let me explain. The last time you get close. Was just close without truth... But if you both are gay and confess to each other. Is a close with truth. There is a difference in between them. And as i said, if you really want him. You might have to take the risk to come out to him but slowly tho.

15. pay

pay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! Just wanted to put my own advice into this-
    I feel as if he does have some feelings for you, and you obviously have feelings for him to. If you're not sure about what sexuality he is or if he's okay with the LGBT community, why don't you casually ask him?
    Asking about his thoughts about the LGBT community, or something along the lines of that. If so, that's a step in the right direction. Make sure you get the conversation started with something that could lead into that question, because just asking out of the blue would be kind of sketchy if he isn't gay.
    This has probably already been established, but don't ask him directly what he defines himself as. Let him tell you himself, and be slow with it. Look for other signs that he's not straight, pay attention to what he's talking about. Sometimes people who aren't out yet give signs that show they are a certain sexuality without knowing (this doesn't apply to everyone though).
    Hope I helped, and wishing you the best of luck!

kkou and Maddox232003 like this.