1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In light of the recent 'epidemic' of terrorism who do you think is to be blamed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Jul 26, 2016.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think some sections of the print and broadcast media are helping to fuel fear and suspicion within communities with their sensationalist, saturation coverage. British tabloid newspaper coverage is particularly grotesque, but even more credible outlets have a case to answer. They all seem too ready to accept that "so called" Islamic State (I call them terrorists) is responsible for atrocities, with little evidence to corroborate the claims. They must surely realise that terrorist groups will claim anything if it whips up more fear and loathing. For me the bigger war is the war for hearts and minds and we need to do everything we can to starve terrorists of publicity and propaganda, without resorting to censorship. It's a delicate balance, but one we must achieve.

2. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a massive combination of factors, these are the ones I can think of:

Religion: pretty obvious really. People have been fighting over this for ages, and Islam in particular attracts a great deal of extremism and seems to be the main excuse for terrorist atrocities nowadays.

Countries and individuals not minding their own business: Western countries don't need to get involved in issues that don't concern them: they just create conflict and make it much worse! If we stopped trying to be the policemen of the world and kept things to ourselves, things would be better.

The European Union: Angela Merkel's infatuation with refugees couldn't possibly end well. The EU has created a rise in the far left and the far right, and seems to have been an enabling force for illegal immigrants and thus, terrorism.

Instability: economic problems, or other forms of instability, are likely to cause a dip in morale. When this happens, people need a purpose in life so turn to violent and extremist groups. This can often be fueled by propaganda.

Political correctness: seems to have given more leeway towards, for example, Muslims to express terrorist sympathies. The idea of being PC has gone from basic respect to others, to a battering ram against free speech. However, I would say this is a much smaller social issue than the ones above.

3. Flowey

If this thread gets locked before I wake up, I win!

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I prefer to see the question in terms of 'what' is to blame rather than 'who' is. Mainly the US what with their extreme military aggression in the Middle East, but that also includes e.g. Russia and their legacy in Afghanistan and so on. So by extension, capitalism is to blame to a large extent, I will say. Capital demands expansion when resources used for value accumulation is running dry, and will not hesitate to use whatever means necessary, including armed force.

Also, let's not forget all the right-wing terrorism by neo-Nazis in Greece and all over Europe. What is to blame for that? Well, alienation, again as promoted by capitalism as a means to divide the working class so as to prevent the risk of a cessation of capital accumulation.

5. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's just remember that "blame" often goes no further than armchair diplomats on the internet. We can place blame all day long, but it's not a solution.

6. Jellal

As an armchair diplomat I say the terrorists should be blamed for terrorism. A thief may be a thief for a variety of reasons, but if he steals, he did the crime, and the crime is certainly his fault.

7. faustian1

After World War 2, I'd hardly call this an "epidemic of terrorism."

8. Glowing Eyes

Religious fundamentalism is what drives religious extremists. Then again, being a fundy is optional but people seem to be brainwashed into extremism which is the root of their bigotry which then leads to violence like this. I guess Islam needs to be "tamed" (not sure if that's the best word for it) like Christianity. There's other factors too though (western interference and a lack of education in the Middle East come to mind).

9. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mind immediately goes to blame the inherent "evil" nature that I see in humanity. I am a person who believes that humans have a natural incentive to do bad things because of their own desires, ideals, self preservation and whatnot. Though that doesn't mean I think everyone is an awful person and strictly that, but that would be going into details about my philosophy stuff and...well, that's not what this thread is about.

So my finger points to inherent evil. But, as Libertino pointed out, that's not gonna make a lick of a difference. It's not a solution.