1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm starting to get a little distant from my family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mind Freak, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Mind Freak

I don't know why.
    I just don't feel like interacting with them or other people all that much lately.

And I just feel this big empty space between me and them for some odd reason unknown to me.

It sucks... *sighs*

I'm thinking being bi is making me change.
    And since they don't know I kind of have to change on the sly and I have to hide it so to hide it I just turn into a hermit.

Plus I just don't have the enthusiasm and stuff even though I love all of them very much.

Anything like that happen to you?

2. -Michael-

The reason i came out to my parents is so i could be as happy with them as i could with my friends....

In my case nothing much happened. Just some arguments and drunken conversations.
    turns out i just hate them for other reasons aha

But i think it would help if you did.
    If it possible?

3. Mind Freak

I think its possible.
    It would just be really awkward, ridiculously awkward.

I would be the first in family history so no one would know how to handle it and I just think it would be a mess for a little while at first.

4. -Michael-

Theses thing mostly are.
    But im sure you'd feel awesome afterwards.
    Even in the slight chance things wouldnt go nicely, you'd still feel the relief.

5. Mind Freak

True enough I guess;;
    *sighs*

6. Derek the Wolf

You don't have to distance yourself from your family just because you're hiding something from them. And you don't have to hide everything from them. If you love them and they love you, then chances are they'll take the news well. Either way, your sexuality doesn't define you.

7. Noah

Don't do it until you feel ready. That being said, there is nothing to gain from waiting. They will just wonder why you didn't tell them sooner. They will probably also say that you are too young to know btw. It's kind of an awkward hypocrisy.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Remember that your sexual identity is only a small part of you. There are plenty of other things that make you which your parents know. Even though you have not come out to them, still try to be yourself as much as possible. Yes, sometimes it can be hard, because you have the feeling that you are hiding something, but still try to interact with them as much as possible.

In terms of coming out to your parents, it is one of the most difficult things to do. From your posts it seems like that your parents could go through an adjustment and learning period. Take it slow and only come out to your parents when you feel ready and you feel that the right time has come. There is no rush.

Before coming out to your parents, I think it is important that you build up your support network, which can consists of friends, EC, counselors, teachers and others who you think would be accepting and supportive. Coming out to friends for example will allow you to build up some confidence. You will become more comfortable with yourself, which is important. If you feel that you are ready to begin coming out to others, I would suggest that you start with your friends. Do you have friends that could be supportive and accenting?

I hope this helps!

9. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I know how you feel I'm like that with my family most of the time, it feels like together they are the perfect family and then there is me on the outside but I think the reason is because I have such little in common with them. Is it like that for you or do you usually get along pretty well and have a bit in common?
    If you do then I would say focus on what you have in common with them and interact with them around those sorts of things otherwise I'm not so such I'm not sure coming out would help it all depends on how you think they will take it. It could bring you closer together but it could also pull you further apart.
    Maybe get closer to your family again then come out to them I you want so maybe this sort of things won't happen again.

10. Sam

Sam

Yes, when I was hiding that I was gay from my parents (well mom especially) I started getting very distant with them I would lock myself in my room all the time and would go days without saying anything to them. When I did talk to them it was usually something that ended up in a fight, screaming and everything. I felt really distant and I definitely wasn't happy.

I think that some gay/bi people if not most become distant because 1. they are afraid of their parents finding out and 2. they might want to tell them but don't know how or if they should and are also scared of telling them.

Are you ready to tell them? If you think you are I would start trying to decide how to tell them. If not that's ok to. You seem to be a little tired of hiding but I may be wrong.

Whatever you decide I hope things get better and good luck with everything.

Sam

11. Things like that did happen to me. I was so focused on my family
    not finding out that I went into total withdrawal. Once I told them I found I could interact with them much easier now that my bisexuality wasn't taking up all of my
    thoughts. So it may be worth your while to tell them. It may bring you closer.

12. Jebs

Dude.. your 15. This is a really common thing that happens. When I was 15, I really wanted nothing to do with my parents. All they did was provide me a place to live, feed me, and that was what they were there for. Or atleast that was my mentality at the time. All I could think about was moving out, hanging with friends, or just being on the computer. Not around them. Its not that I hated them or anything... it is just I didn't want to be around them. I don't think this has anything to do with your sexuality, unless you make it.

Did no one else go through that when they were in there teens?!? I thought everyone did.

13. BeautifulStranger

Exactly... you're just a teenager (as am I... but I finished this phase already)
    When I first started high school I thought I was the coolest thing ever. I hated spending time with my parents, and it wasn't even because they didn't accept my homosexuality. I just hated them because that's what teenagers do... they hate their parents.
    And now, my mom is one of my best friends in the world. It's a phase... don't worry about
    I don't think it will ever be about your sexuality unless you make it about your sexuality. Chances are your parents have suspected but they haven't talked about it because you haven't talked about it.
    For along time my mom attempted to get the ball rolling by watching TV with me and saying things like "Oh! He's cute! What do you think Tyler?"
    Things will change. Don't worry.