1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm so scared to go to Sweden now?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Nov 23, 2015.

1. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Only because so many people are afraid of it and have lifestyles reflecting their fear.
    If no one was afraid, terrorists would have more attacks.

#21 PerfectlyNormal, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. timo

^ Very untrue.

Making people afraid is probably the biggest goal of any terrorist. It's not mainly about killing people. It's about trying to change the way other people live (i.e. getting rid of the "hedonistic" lifestyle of the "Western world"). If they're doing attacks and no one was afraid, they failed miserably.

Which is why I refuse to be afraid of anything, and am definitely not changing. Fuck them.

3. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are way scarier things going on in Sweden than some potential terrorist attack.

Come here, I'd say! If there's an explosion, and you're in it, you won't even know a thing. It's all good.

But I now realize that I wouldn't go to an event like Eurovision. That's just me though.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say when it's your time to go, you'll go regardless. Life is too short to live in fear. Seize the day. I am headed down to Houston in January where HERO was rejected and a gay as well as a trans. person were murdered. Yolo.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Potentially, you could be killed no matter where you are. Don't let that ruin anything.

6. 741852963

This.

A quick look at statistics reveal murder rates are 5x higher in the States compared to Sweden. When you factor in a. most murders happen in inner-city areas so Los Angeles will be at the upper range of those stats, and b. Sweden is a much more liberal country than the States - even with (heaven forbid) terrorism factored in, at worst you would be at equivalent risk to your daily existence in LA.

If you feel safe enough to live in LA (having visited, I can't say I would!) then you should feel safe enough to visit Sweden.

#26 741852963, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  7. RemakeJake

I live in the safest part of LA and by the beach, but that's still totally valid haha thank you!

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2015 at 08:23 PM ----------

Can you elaborate, my friend?

8. RemakeJake

I wish I had your solid mentality.

9. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    You have nothing to worry about in Sweden. The terrorists won't go after that country, seeing as there's no enmity. Sweden hasn't been a key imperialist country in the way France has, nor has it gotten itself involved in the war on terror like France has.

France also was the key to the Rwandan Genocide, something that probably did make the terrorists want to attack it. France has been involved in so many recent imperialistic efforts that it's been in their crosshairs long before the attack. While there are other places in Europe on their hitlist, I would say Sweden is safe and would be at the bottom of it.

10. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Yes go! If given the chance, I would so go.

11. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In short, I was mainly thinking about the normalization of the far right's world view, and its consequences.

12. RemakeJake

Ahhhh I see.

13. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. I feel like Sweden would be one of the last countries to go under attack in Europe. I actually would jump on the next flight to Sweden if I could. :thumbsup:

I am French but live abroad and plan on going back to France for Christmas even though the current situation isn't ideal. Am I scared ? Slightly, I am not going to lie, but I know that the chances of me being at the wrong place at the wrong time are low and I fear much more for my family than I fear for myself. I also refuse to give them what they want and shelter myself in my home in fear of getting blown up. ( Think about it, if nobody go out anymore because they are scared, then they'll start bombing houses or building cause that's where people will be.) If I have to die, I want it to be while doing something that I wanted to do even if that means waiting dreadfully for my death in a concert hall.

Personally I think Americans are the people they aim for along with the French and a couple other countries, I think you would be MUCH safer in the most crowded spot of Sweden than anywhere in LA (even without considering terrorist attack, just for the crime rate in general between the two countries).

14. Riz

Riz

As many have already stated before, check the statistic.
    We can give this comparision for example. From what I've gathered most parents isn't comfortable letting their children go alone to school/other public spaces. That's something that's very strange here, no one even have the thought that something could happen.

Also, media kind of blows up some things out of proption. I mean, sure we have a bunch of policitans with what I would call inhuman opinions. And with lack of other policitans that handle the big immigration we have right now they influence some.

Eurovision is a big thing, and last time we hosted it was glorious. Please do come, you'll have a blast. And I'm sure you'll feel safe around your extended family.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be inclined to agree with you.. but given the Madrid bombings in 2004, I'm not sure that's entirely true. Spain has been very quiet on the international stage since its imperial days came to an end but it was still seen as a worthy target by the terrorist group responsible. Plus, Brussels was recently on lock down and that's another low-key country with a minor imperial past and certainly no major military ventures in the 21st century (I am, of course, referring to Belgium).

I don't think the terrorist attacks in France recently had anything to do with the Rwandan Genocide either.

Sweden has a large Muslim population that is often economically disadvantaged so there's always the risk of extremism. People seem to be forgetting that this terrorism is homegrown, the people wanting to carry out such attacks already live there and have done all their lives. There was actually a bombing in 2010 in Stockholm, but nobody died except the suicide bomber in question.

Not that I want to scare you or anything.. the risk of such an attack involving you or any individual is very low, but I don't think it's much lower in Sweden than it is in most other western European countries. One thing that gives Sweden an extra level of protection is that it's not in Schengen so doesn't have an open border policy, hence it's harder to smuggle in automatic weapons. It gives the UK more protection too.

#35 imnotreallysure, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  16. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While you should never allow yourself to be ruled by fear, you should still exert caution when necessary. I'm sure the security there will be top notch. It usually is with these types of events, but since the attacks in Paris, the security will definitely be extra tight. If you see something suspicious, make note of it and report it.

#36 PlantSoul, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  17. RemakeJake

Was 2013's Eurovision seamless even though it was in a dangerous city?

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2015 at 01:33 PM ----------

Unfortunately, it practically does :/

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  19. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sweden is probably one the safest countries right now. At least, it is infinitely safer than the United States (I know I wouldn't cross the border. Too much risk of a freakin' mass shooting).

Don't let those terrorists win.

20. RemakeJake

They let in more immigrants per capita than any other European country, and are paying the price.