1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm lonely in high school

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KartoffelWal, Jan 10, 2018.

1. KartoffelWal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in my second semester of my freshman year, and I feel like I have no friends. I have some friends I guess, but they don't talk to me much and I have no one to talk to most of the day. I would like to meet other LGBTQ+ students, but there is no GSA. My friend tried to start one and they denied it, which is illegal in my state because he met all the criteria that the school says you have to have (a teacher sponsor and 5+ students interested). So I can't start one. I just feel like no one really likes me, and I'm being laughed at and mocked all the time. :weary:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is too bad that you are experiencing this. What was the reason given for denying the creation of the group?

Have you tried forming a group outside of school in your community? You might be able to also get other people interested in joining and thus also increasing the chances of creating lasting friendships through the group. Related, have you tried browsing online to see if there is something available in your community that you could potentially join - whether it be LGBTQ related, or something that would speak to one or two of your interests/hobbies?

3. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey.

I'm sorry you're going through this. All I can say is that my high school experience was exactly the same in the sense that I was a total loner, I was teased and bullied. It can be hard, for sure. Remember that high school doesn't last forever. It will go by way faster than you think it will, trust me. Perhaps if you can't find people that understand in your school, you could find some extracurricular activity in your community? There could be a group for LGBT youth outside your school. Other than that, all I can say is be studious, try and find things that you're passionate about in and out of school. Hobbies don't necessarily replace friends, but they can definitely be fulfilling ways of keeping you motivated in life :slight_smile:

Chin up. Once you leave high school, life gets infinitely better, I promise!!!!!!!

KartoffelWal likes this.
  4. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you do?

I understand your frustration. My freshman year went along the same lines. I didn't really have any friends; acquaintances sure, but not anyone very close. Often I sat alone at lunch, which wasn't too bad - I always had a book and a nice, quiet, shady place. But as time went on I found people I liked and who liked me. You'll find your group eventually, it might just take time. Look for people who have similar interests as you. You don't have to start a club, necessarily (though if I were you I might look more into why exactly your school denied a GSA and try and fix it, if possible - there's always ways, and, besides, schools tend to fear parental involvement), you can always join existing clubs and find friends there. Also, being somewhat unsociable, I had a hard time finding good friends who wanted to hang out with me. I tended to rotate towards smaller groups where I would be forced to interact and open up. Usually when people feel like they know you better, they like you better.

I can also relate to your sense of discomfort. For a long time I was overly conscious of other people's opinions of me. What you have to understand is that most of them don't matter, particularly in high school. Be yourself - and be content with yourself - and your confidence will garner respect. People are apt to flock towards those with confidence. Apparently it's also somewhat attractive. Just don't be overly confident, there's a bright line between confidence and arrogance.

Good luck and don't worry too much, it does get better.

KartoffelWal likes this.
  5. Really

Hey @KartoffelWal

That really stinks. I had one thought how you might meet others to make friends. Is there a drama club or does your school out on a stage production? You can either try out for that if you’re into acting or offer to help with the stagecraft or simply hang around the rehearsals. I’m pretty sure the kids who do theatre are more likely to be open to diverse people. You never know. You could end up being in charge of front of house and then get to meet a bunch more people who come to see the show!

Alternatively, you could look into support positions in any other activity you’re interested in if you don’t want to actually do it.

Good luck!

6. KartoffelWal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually was on stage crew for drama club at my school, but I ended up quitting because I could not commit to it. But I agree, there were some really diverse people in that club. I was thinking that I could maybe join again next year. But there are some other clubs I wanted to join, but they're all too late to join now. I also wanted to join a few sports, but it makes me dysphoric due to how the sports I want to join (bowling and tennis) are all "girl's sports" in my school. But I might still join them next year!

7. KartoffelWal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My friend actually started one in October nearly two years ago! I have been making friends there, but since most of them do not go to my school, I am just lonely inside of school. I also have no way to contact them as I don't have any device to text them on (I don't have a phone and they all do and they talk that way).
    I have also been wanting to take an art class for people my age. I may do that as well!