1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm getting a new laptop, help!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by mychemromance99, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've had an HP Pavilion laptop for a couple years now but it's been a pain in the past year or so.

It would overheat and shut down often even in the middle of ls demanding games like CS GO, and recently even during regular browsing. This is not the first time I've faced this issue,a and the geniuses at the service center couldn't help with it either. The warranty has expired too.

I've been thinking of getting a new laptop now. I'm a programmer. I work with C, C++, machine learning with Python, web development and I've been learning to develop games using Unity for a while now. I also fool around with Blender, 3D rendering and stuff like that from time to time.

I'd like to have a decently specced laptop at around 1500 to 1800$.
    I've realized that gaming laptops could be a great option for programmers because they usually have better displays, faster processors and dedicated graphics too.

A gaming laptop with an Nvidia 1060 seems to hit the sweet spot as the GPU can handle most AAA gaming titles at high settings fairly well and would also help with 3D rendering.

1070 and higher variants seem like an overkill as I'm likely to upgrade to a new laptop three years later, and I'm not an extreme gamer.

MSI has come out with a new line of 8th gen processors and I've shortlisted that new GP63RE with the 1060, https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GP63-Leopard-8RE

I'd like your opinions, since the laptop isn't out yet and costs me about 1750$, that is, a preorder.

Also, recommendations are welcome!

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, as a designer/marketing strategist with a background in color management and profiling, I am obviously partial to Apple, but if you're a gamer, then Apple isn't the way to go. Macs, though, are particularly nice as a Web development platform as macOS' UNIX underpinnings make it much easier to develop for the web, Python and the like than a Windows-based environment.

If I had to go PC, I'd probably choose Lenovo's ThinkPad line. They're ugly as sin, but I appreciate good build quality over raw specs. I am not familiar with the current ThinkPad lineup, but you could check them out. All MSI's I've come into contact with were rather poorly made. Think that a modern laptop should last you years, as technology isn't improving that much.

If I were you, I'd also try to physically test the computers: try to visit a store. Say, I'm considering replacing my old MacBook this year and I was kind of skeptical about the new keyboards, so I went to an Apple store in order to have some hands-on time with the latest models.

3. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This is the only one I can think of... I'll see if I can find better. 20180528_192409.jpg

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh wow - funny I stumbled across this. I ordered that exact laptop and it's supposed to be here this week. My old laptop met an unfortunate death and this one looked pretty good. It has great reviews too.

5. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty happy with it - awesome so far!

thumbnail22.jpg

6. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh nice. Funny thing, I just got a new laptop too!!! My old one came to an unfortunate death as well, and I took the opportunity to switch to MacOS. I'm really satisfied.

#6 Naters2000, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  7. angiepanda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi I am Angiepanda, I have a question about mod. One of my good friends said that he mod super smash bros for the Wii U. How do you do it?

8. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread is over a year old and the initial discussion for which it was opened is done. Closing the thread to prevent future replies. Please open a new thread if any conversation is to be done on the matter. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.