1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm gay. But how do I tell my girlfriend that?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SomewhereQuiet, Jun 26, 2017.

1. SomewhereQuiet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm gay. But my girlfriend doesn't know. I love her. We have been intimate. But I'm just not into it anymore. I'm 18 today. I have been questioning my sexuality for about 6 years now but I am sure I am gay now. I am attracted to men. But I have never been with one. But I know I am attracted to them. I don't want to hurt my girlfriend. But I don't want to keep living a lie. Please, help me figure out the right words to say to her. P.S. no one knows that I'm gay. I haven't come out to anyone yet. I figured I would come out to my girlfriend first, because she deserves to know, then coming out to everyone.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello SomewhereQuiet! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

There is really no right or wrong way to Come Out to your girlfriend, but I would say that since you are in a relationship with her, your thought process that she deserves to know (and be the first one that you Come Out to) sounds very solid.

It sounds like you really love her, but really in a best friend way and not in a romantic/sexual partner way.

You know her best, so would a straightforward method work when you Come Out to her? Are there things you might have been doing or small indications you've been showing her that could indicate that you are not longer happy with your romantic/sexual relationship with her? If so. could you start out by telling her that you want to explain why you've been acting oddly? Can you simply tell her that you've recently come to an acceptance of your sexuality and that you need tell her?

Just some thoughts.

3. Nocturnal Lord

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went through the same thing a couple months back dude; I just flat out told her. "Look; I know you may not understand, but I have to tell you this. I don't want to live a lie and make things get worse for the future of us both. Its really hard for me to explain this to you; so Im just going to be completely honest. I'm gay. Since we are in a relationship, I figured that I'd have to tell you sooner or later. Were not suppose to lie to each other. I know this may be a shock for you. But I had to tell you. I know this might confuse you, but just please understand. Its better that I tell you now and not down the road from now. Your the only one I've told so far, that means something. You are the only one I've trusted to tell at this very moment. ". Something like that. Tell her In person if you can, I basically texted to my girlfriend about it, and I couldn't tell what she was feeling at the time.

Good luck. If she loves you, she'll understand. Its better for this to be said now then later. Before its too late.

ErikWolfe96, SomewhereQuiet and Chip like this.
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the above poster. The only real way to handle it is honesty... Perhaps something like 'This hurts, but our relationship can't work, because I'm gay. I love you dearly, but I'm not attracted to you, or any other girl, sexually.'

Nocturnal Lord likes this.