1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you wait long enough things tend to get better

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by TrevinMichael, Jul 12, 2018.

1. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes is it really mind over matter. If we just wait a bit longer things can turn around for the better.

Life is all a bunch of ups and downs. Having great friends helps. Being okay with who I am also helps.

I tend to see the bright side of things most of the time.

TM

OnTheHighway likes this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trevin.....I agree. I know that there are times when so many things have gone wrong for such a long time that getting better seems impossible...I've been there. The last three and a half years have been a long string of incredible, I thought impossible occurrences. If I had taken my life on Dec. 25, 2014, I would have missed all the wonderful things that have happened. Of course I'd have missed everything. I don't mean to joke about something that's very serious, but it's true that some decisions can cut us off from our potential...cut us off from so many good potentials. In 1972, after the death of my boyfriend...literally my soul-mate...I cut myself off from my sexuality for 42 years. I have a wonderful family that I would not trade for anything...but there was a "me" that withered and died because of that decision. I can never bring "him" back, but I can do my best to be the real me for the rest of my life.Trevin...for me getting better took a very long time...but it did get better! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

OnTheHighway likes this.
  3. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I'm waiting and unfortunately everything has gotten worse and worse. I'm sorry folks, I am supportive of people coming out and being their true selves, but for me, I was happier pretending to be who I wasnt'

4. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Coming out is not a one-size-fits-all thing. And one doesn't have to come out to be their "true self," because even when you're in the closet you're being your "true self." From having pondered this issue a lot and read others' posts on here I think if you're going to formally "come out" you have to be satisfied with having taken that step for your own personal satisfaction and not look to the reaction of others or the consequences of those reactions for validation since it is impossible to control how others will react.

5. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I truly wasn't my "true self" in the closet. In ways, I was partially but I hid myself very thoroughly from myself and everyone else

Choirboy likes this.
  6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would be really interested to understand your theory behind this concept. Can you elaborate? It has the ring of “if no one is in the forest to hear a tree fall, did it make any noise?”.

#6 OnTheHighway, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  7. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can be yourself and not tell others who you are sleeping with.

Sometimes labels do more harm than good.

Choirboy likes this.