1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if someone eats lunch alone do they want to be alone??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by faultyink, May 14, 2018.

1. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    this girl (i think she's in grade 9) always eats lunch alone but like at the end of the hall by a window, so she's pretty noticeable. Anyway i dont know if i should go up to her and talk to her a bit, maybe ask if she wants to sit with me and my friends?? its hard to tell if she prefers eating alone or actually doesnt have friends. please help!! : P

2. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You should ask if she wants to sit with you. I always ate alone in school because I didn't have friends, and it's pretty terrible. Every day seeing other people having fun with friends during lunch while being alone really feels bad after a while. In 6th grade there was a punishment called "silent lunch" at my school where you'd have to sit in a classroom with a teacher and the other kids who got in trouble that day and not talk as a punishment to take people away from their friends.

Well, I started breaking rules on purpose to the point of nearly getting expelled because I wanted to keep getting sent to silent lunch just to have other kids to sit next to, seriously. A teacher figured that out and started letting me come more often without having to actually get in trouble to do it.

So yeah, it would be really nice of you to offer to let her sit with you.

3. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes. Whenever I eat lunch on my own, there are times when I want to eat with somebody and there are times when I would rather be left alone. For the latter, it's normally because I'm really stressed or I need to think deeply about something so I'll sometimes get lunch or dinner alone so that I have time mostly to myself where I can just freely think. However, there were also times where even though I wanted to be with someone but I simply couldn't for a variety of reasons. I will say that even if you want to eat alone or feel that you want to, there are times where you grow to be lonely and want to be with somebody for a meal. For a while in my most recent fall semester at my college/university, I didn't have the opportunity to eat with anybody (I'm talking weeks on end), I was fine at first but after a while, I started to feel more depressed and lonely, always thinking about how I just wanted somebody to talk to. I think that you should at least ask them if they would like somebody to eat with. They may not have the courage to speak up on their own so it can be really helpful if somebody else offers to eat with them. If she says no, I would say that she is more than welcome to eat with you some other time if she wants to and then maybe offer again in a day or two and then see what she says.

4. lazybear03

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I would go ask her if she wants to eat lunch with you. In high school, I was a loner that didn't have many friends. I ate lunch alone all the time, and I hated it. I think she would appreciate the offer. It would be a nice thing to do.

5. Loves books

I ate lunch alone because I didn't have any friends. I would have loved some company. You should ask her, if she wants to be alone she'll just say no.

6. Zilean19

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think she's just shy to make friends with you and the other kids to your school it's too hard to Make friends when you're new kid in town or your'e surrounded by new people so it's better to approach her and talk to her cuz she might be just shy to talk first.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always reasonable to ask. Most people probably would love to have some company. And the ones who don't will usually either tell you... or won't communicate much and let you pick up on it. :slight_smile:

8. Federico98

Federico98 Guest

I eat alone but that's because I haven't friends
    Maybe look at how she behaves. It could give you hints on whether or not she wants to be alone. You should ask her (yeah it requires a bit of courage). In the worst scenario she'll say she wants to stay alone

9. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask her and then see if she is eager to sit with someone or not.

I like to eat alone, lol.

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say that in highschool (or whatever you call it), most people who sit alone don't want to be alone.

11. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’d say it’s true. Most likely, in high school, someone eating alone has no friends and didn’t choose to be alone. Not always the case though

12. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe this is just my anti-social butt talking, but if I eat alone, it's because I want to be alone. But that's just me.

13. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree but in high school I think it’s less likely

14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked to eat alone in high school. Peace, you know? Silence. Could concentrate on actually eating. Not to devalue people, lol, but food is a tad more important. ;P

15. Kimberlyjo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Pienso podría ser el momento que una establece durante el día para relajarse y cargar como se dice las baterías
    Así que en lo personal lo veo bien disfrutar de ese momento solo

: raising_hand:

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember a few people who liked to eat alone but that was maybe a few out of maybe 1,000? Anyways, that was how I made new friends by going and sitting by someone who was alone and sparking up a conversation.

17. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate eating lunch by myself (as I'm currently in high school right now) so I usually sit with a friend or two ;v; I usually sit by myself in the library when I don't feel like talking or need to work on school work. I think you should try to talk to her since I think most people that sit by themselves usually don't want to be alone (doesn't apply to all people that do, though of course) If she doesn't respond, she probably just wants to eat lunch by herself.

#17 MaoKingofcats, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  18. Federico98

Federico98 Guest

Agree. I wish I had the courage to do that too. It depends on the person, but in general I would be glad if someone ate with me. It's often sad for me eating alone