1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identity Awareness and Confusion.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by StellarJ1, Jun 11, 2014.

1. StellarJ1

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have a couple of modes that I have become aware of.

Most of the time, I am in an autopilot mode, which means that I am acting like a heterosexual male. I try not to. I try to keep reminding myself that I am gay and to trust myself. Autopilot mode feels dissociated most of the time. There is a part of me that is not being felt, so there is a part of my body which feels numb or tense if I concentrate on my body awareness. I have a compulsive obsession with this awareness, and it often feels like something is wrong, or not being felt. I want to feel it, but I am afraid, and cannot seem to accept whatever it is.

This mode also consists of some sort of addiction to checking out women's bodies, and sexualizing them. It feels bad, and yet I find it a hard habit to break. The more I do it, the more disconnected I feel from myself. Disembodied and lustful. Sometimes, I have a gut reaction where I am grossed out by women. I am always surprised by that instinctive reaction when it comes through. I usually feel good about it when it does happen, and I am grateful for honesty.
    I also seem to always be trying to attract women. Always.

There is another mode that feels very connected and grounded. This happens when I am feeling like a girl on the inside. I look at women more as a gal pal, and then something shines through in me. I feel connection to women then. It's like I become an adult-equal, rather than some strange man who hasn't grown up (or who is not being himself). This is a huge relief which makes me feel like I can live a happy life.

Then there is the mode where I am convinced that I am gay. There is a ringing of truth when I let myself feel it. It is something I am working towards accepting so that I can be myself.

I get confused about why I feel like myself when I feel embodied as a girl. I even accepted that I was a girl in my head a few times in small moments, and I felt deep release and relief.

A couple of times it has happened when I was doing yoga, and all of the sudden my body becomes incredibly flexible. It is as if my whole body becomes unlocked. It is incredible. I wish I knew how to keep it unlocked. It is a rare event when it happens. Most of the time it is as if my body is in a hyper vigilant state so stretching around my core area feel impossible.

But accepting that I am a girl, or honoring this thought that unlocks me, seems too huge to accept. It seems like it is too big of a thing to expect to be able to accept and live with.

I also wonder about if it is just that I am a repressed, homophobic gay man and the only way that I can see myself and feel comfortable is as a woman?

I am 37, and I don't really feel like i can look at myself in the mirror, and see that I am a woman. I can feel it, but the illusion is lost when I see myself. When I was younger, I might have been able to. Now I wonder if being gay will be enough, or is it that I feel like a woman too?

I think that I am having a hard time looking at myself as a man, and not seeing heterosexual. I could possibly be using feeling like a woman as a way to get outside of the hetero identity that I have created. Needless to say, I am perplexed about my identity.

#1 StellarJ1, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014