1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas on how to deal with homophobia from my mom?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TinyWerewolf, Jul 7, 2022.

1. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The last couple nights I've been bummed. My mom went on a religious rant during an hour drive home- half of it was homophobia and aimed at my gay cousin my age, his supportive mom, and a lesbian mom who has a kid on my nephew's ball team. I had to sit through it with as neutral of a reaction and countenance as possible to avoid any backlash from her. I still was mildly questioned about 'are you still thinking that way?' meaning 'are you still the thing I despise?'. I dodged it the best I could.

I try not to let her rants take up headspace or under my skin. For some reason this just really hurt me this time around. Sometimes she's the sweet Mom I always knew, but a lot of days I feel like she secretly hates me. I don't know what to do, I don't feel like I can talk to her about this or think that it's safe.

2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Still thinking that way what's that even mean ? Being LGBT isn't a choice I didn't just wake up one day and decided to be bisexual l.

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  3. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She thinks it is, and despite my attempts to explain to her that's not the case she still does.

4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe for the sake of your own sanity it would be the best to stay away from her as much as possible. I can only think of maybe start doing activities, that make you be at home less. Maybe you can take extra activities next to your work and going to church. Maybe you could help out by taking volunteer work or offering to walk dogs for example, since you do love animals and working with them can be therapeutic as well. It can also get you extra income. Just make sure to take time to rest as well.

I know this sucks and will hurt you, since she is your mother and you still love your family despite everything. You really can't change people, if they don't wish to change.

Sending hugs your way.

BiGemini87 and TinyWerewolf like this.
  5. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At one point she did think I was avoiding her, and I think I subconciously was. I was spending less time with her and more time upstairs in my room. If I could just hang out with my friends more that would help too. It's been too hot for nature photography with the heat index. But this is something I'll give thought to and try once I think of something.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  6. mlansing

Been dealing with this with my Dad for a while now. Like you were saying, sometimes it’s more hurtful than other times. I’m not sure I have great tips for dealing with it, other than to do your best to not take the things she says personally, even if a comment is specifically being aimed at you. It might also be worth setting a boundary by saying you don’t want to talk about it. I’ve learned no matter what you say you just can’t change people’s minds, so there’s no use in trying. I’m sorry you have to deal with this.

7. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish your dad wasn't like that either, and I'm sorry that he is. I've tried to detach myself from the comments, but it is personal sometimes. I've tried leaving the room and trying to debate her too- only makes it worse. If she hurts me with what she's said I wait until she's done ranting and go try to clear my head, sometimes I can't though.

mlansing likes this.
  8. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with that, hon. It's hard enough when it comes from strangers, but when it comes from your own family--especially a parent--it can be particularly hurtful.

I don't know if this would help or if you've tried, but have you and your mother ever just sat down and talked things through? Maybe you can convince her to hear your side of things, to understand not only your thoughts but how you've been feeling (both regarding your identity and how she's been acting).

If this isn't viable, then I'm not sure what you can do, aside from spend as little time with her as possible. I wish I had more helpful advice, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a simple solution to be had.

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  9. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate people that think its a choice !

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  10. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's so annoying, I wouldn't choose to be trans! (I've slowly started to accept being bi enough I'd maybe still choose that if it was a choice.)

I did try to talk to her about it once, and she tried to shrug off pieces of evidence pointing to me being a trans man as normal teenage girl feelings. She won't even listen to or believe my explanation that being bi and being gay are two different things. This was a few months after being found out, which was almost three years ago (I've been trapped for two and a half). I'd try it again if I thought she'd actually listen and it was safe for me to do so- but I'm still stuck here for now.

Her comments and feelings on those particular characteristics of me have me so twisted up inside sometimes that I've been angry with myself and essentially fighting myself. A lot of the hating myself has been shame caused by this, and I hope to God it can only get better from here. I'm tired of this cycle.

#10 TinyWerewolf, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    BiGemini87 likes this.
  11. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TinyWerewolf.....As I have said before, the sooner you get out of that house and move away the better. It's really the only solution to the problems that you have with your family. I don't mean to be hard-nosed...but it is the truth. :old_frown:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

BiGemini87 likes this.
  12. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's ok, sometimes I'm just stubborn and have a thick skull (sorry). I really have tried to stay and find a viable solution, but there just isn't one. Right now it's not by choice really though, my friend's parents are getting a divorce and she advised me to keep my distance for now due to the fallout between them. This sucks.

13. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hopefully the homophobia is getting better

14. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She's just busy at the moment, but that means no remarks at least.

15. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope you mom turns around some day !